REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

Hang Hammock Inside Tent?

I want to hang inside my REI Kingom 6 tent. I think it might be doable...

REI Kingdom 6 Tent.jpg

REI Kingdom 6 Tent Fly.jpg

Might be doable. Corner to corner at ground level is 13'. With the curved sides you'll loose space for a stand, but a very short hammock might still fit. The other option being to run it lengthwise into the vestibule area. Tons more work to put up and jerry-rig a stand than it is to just hang a winter tarp, but for an extended stay in one location it might be nice having a fully enclosed area and ground cover.

If I were looking for a full enclosure for an extended stay... I would probably be looking more at a side wall tent. Might as well throw in a wood burning stove too.

We did one for elk/moose camp. Had a side wall made and then built our own free standing heavy pipe frame. I would imagine it wouldn't take much to work up a hammock suspension using a pipe frame like that. Those are generally 10-15day hunts though and worth the effort and comfort. I wouldn't tackle something like that for a weekend trip though. One of the joys of hammocks is how quick they go up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There are YouTube videos by woodswalker (I think) showing hammock in a tents, some even with stoves. The guy had it down pat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Here in Michigan, a bunch of us have hammock hot tents. Can't beat it for winter camping.

I've got a thread under the Simply Light Designs vendor subforum about my experiences with "The Cabin".
    Last edited by michigandave; 12-07-2019 at 17:25.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Might be doable. Corner to corner at ground level is 13'. With the curved sides you'll loose space for a stand, but a very short hammock might still fit. The other option being to run it lengthwise into the vestibule area. Tons more work to put up and jerry-rig a stand than it is to just hang a winter tarp, but for an extended stay in one location it might be nice having a fully enclosed area and ground cover.

If I were looking for a full enclosure for an extended stay... I would probably be looking more at a side wall tent. Might as well throw in a wood burning stove too.

We did one for elk/moose camp. Had a side wall made and then built our own free standing heavy pipe frame. I would imagine it wouldn't take much to work up a hammock suspension using a pipe frame like that. Those are generally 10-15day hunts though and worth the effort and comfort. I wouldn't tackle something like that for a weekend trip though. One of the joys of hammocks is how quick they go up.
    Good comments here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Here in Michigan, a bunch of us have hammock hot tents. Can't beat it for winter camping.

I've got a thread under the Simply Light Designs vendor subforum about my experiences with "The Cabin".
    I’ve seen most of yours (and others) hammock hot tent posts. Really cool

What I really want is a tarp with a vestibule on the front so you enter at the side of the hammock rather than the ends.

One of these days I’m going to see if it’s possible to actually hang between trees in my tent. Obviously the doors would have to be left open enough to allow for the suspension.

Who knows, might not work. Sure would be cool if it did though

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Well, I managed to set up my REI Quarter Dome Air hammock inside my Kingdom 6 tent. I can only close the doors half-way, and it wouldn’t be feasible in most situations, but it’s kinda fun.

My 3 kids (ages 15, 11 & 10) and I are going to sleep in it tonight. Luckily it’s not full-on bug season yet here.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

Excellent solution and you've proved your idea. If you didn't mind doing some mods to a perfectly good tent, you could rework the end openings to allow you the full use of the doors. I've seen some hot tents with a single zipper for only the suspension independent of the doors. Let us know how the outing turns out!

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

Hang Hammock Inside Tent?

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    If you didn't mind doing some mods to a perfectly good tent, you could rework the end openings to allow you the full use of the doors. I've seen some hot tents with a single zipper for only the suspension independent of the doors.
    Yeah, I’ve thought about it. It couldn’t be this one though, as it is our workhorse family tent. If I could get one on the cheap tho...

The kids and I had an interesting night. It took me a while to fall asleep because the kids were talking and laughing and having fun. I didn’t have any reason to be up early in the morning, so I let them. Also, the hammock was hung a little low (it could have been higher). Every time one of the kids moved their legs they would bump the underside of the hammock. We enjoyed listening to a great horned owl as we all finally fell asleep.

I slept hard until around 5 a.m. when I awoke to some pretty nasty wind. It would get very loud in the trees and then blow hard on the side of the tent causing it to bend inward and the rain fly to flap noisily. I didn’t realize it would be windy so I didn’t set the tent in “storm mode.”

It was just starting to get light out, and some very obnoxious birds were being very noisy. Between the wind, the birds, and the bright moon, I had a hard time sleeping from 5-8, but at least I was very comfortable. The kids were out cold.

The temp got down to 43°F (thermometer was in one of the side pockets of the tent). The kids were in pajamas and 27° (comfort) sleeping bags. Two of them on foam pads, the other on his Nemo Tensor insulated air pad. They all stayed toasty warm.

I was on my Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm in my Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy 800 (39° comfort). I wore only light base layers. No socks, no hat. I was also toasty warm. Sometimes a bit too toasty. I spent a good amount of time with either the hood off, the neck unzipped for venting, and/or an arm or two out of the bag.

Despite the doors being half open and one of the sides of the rain fly rolled up for views, exposing a large section of mesh, the strong 15-25 mph winds didn’t seem to infiltrate the tent very often. It was primarily blowing directly against the side of the tent protected by the rain fly.

All-in-all, a successful, fun and enjoyable night. I don’t see myself using this setup very often. Maybe on a week-long Boy Scout Camp where it would be nice to have the extra privacy and storage space. Assuming I could even find a spot that would work...

Last edited by 509-T203-KG; 04-11-2020 at 19:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast