Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Home made
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    What is your picture of? All I see is woods with a blue clothesline line. That's one stealthy hammock.
    Haha thanks. I was surprised, it’s not uncomfortable, just as long as the ridge line is set right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    48" wide?? That is certainly one of the limiting factors to get diagonal.

Simply Light Designs has the Streamliner which has cat cuts at ends and sides. Never really caught on.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Simply Light Designs has the Streamliner which has cat cuts at ends and sides. Never really caught on.
    Perhaps not, but it might be my favorite! I have an 11' version in the nondescript black 1.3 ripstop nylon. I really like both the fabric and the actual hammock. It's the one I usually pick when a bugnet isn't needed.

The Streamliner has concave cuts on the ends and sides, though.

"The Streamliner is a different style of hammock for the adventurous hanger. For years, catenary curves have been applied to tarps and tents, but not very often has the principle been applied to a hammock.

I took the Tree Runner Hammock and applied a catenary curve to the ends and sides.

The ends have a 3" deflection, while the sides have a 5" on each side.

The benefits of this are two fold. The curves at the ends help to lessen calf ridge. At the same time, the curves on the sides minimize the walled in effect from the side material. The width of the hammock is 10 inches narrower in the center, than the width of the fabric.

To be up front, the Streamliner is not for everyone. Due to the nature of the Cat Curves, the edges of the hammock do become more taut under load than a regular hammock. So, when using it as a chair for lounging, the edges can dig into the back of the legs."
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-17-2020 at 10:07.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    To be up front, the Streamliner is not for everyone. Due to the nature of the Cat Curves, the edges of the hammock do become more taut under load than a regular hammock. So, when using it as a chair for lounging, the edges can dig into the back of the legs."
    How is it with general entry and exit? Can you get in without a hassle? I would guess the UQ is up above the sides as well. No?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    How is it with general entry and exit? Can you get in without a hassle? I would guess the UQ is up above the sides as well. No?
    Entry and exit are no big deal, IMO. Slightly more challenging, I suppose, than a standard cut GE due to the tautness of the side hems, but not a big deal. For a user with certain physical limitations, I could see it not being an ideal match. I agree with the comment about the edges putting pressure on legs when using as a chair, but I almost never do that. That can be remedied a bit by folding the width of the hammock in half before sitting down, for those who would be more bothered by that issue.

As for the width compared to an UQ, that's not a problem, at least on mine. I don't have a lot of info on that 1.3 black ripstop nylon Jared stocks, but mine is 50" wide at the narrowest part in the middle (just measured now). If it really has a 5" cat cut per side, then the raw fabric must be over 60" wide with selvage. With Hyper D or Hexon, for example, it's hard to make a hammock wider than about 58", so depending on fabric choice, the Streamliner might be a little narrower in the middle. In any case, the most common UQs are about 45" wide, so compared to the 50" minimum width of the hammock, it's fine.

Images
    I also made an adjustable SRL for it using some gray Lash It and some yellow Zing It. Gray for the constrictor and yellow for the adjustable end which denotes the "head end" of the hammock even though it's otherwise symmetrical. Jared suggested an adjustable SRL since it's a little different than most hammocks. I think I liked it at about 108", so a tiny bit more sag than normal.

No tie outs, no UQ hooks, just a sleek, "streamlined" package.

Images
    Sorry for cluttering the OP's thread. It looks like you did a nice job on your DIY. And I like the simple removable adjustable ridgeline. Well done for trying something different with the hammock shape, and I hope it works out well for you.

Hammock
    Home made
    So, I found that by adjusting the height on either side and the ridge line, I can lay completely flat. I think that by adjusting the shape a little I may have a very comfortable very useable hammock!

Hammock
    Home made
    @cmc4free, my original concept for the hammock was actually very similar to the streamline. But, I had a hard time trying to figure out how I could create even cuts along the length and ends. In the end I figured out a way to create a template with consistent curves.

@MikekiM, I wanted to go wider, but the straight edge I was using to create my template was only 4' long.

I used Ram Board to build the template. When I get back to into town, I'll snap a pic of it.
    hammock concept.jpg

Hammock
    Home made
    So this happened...
    My hammock fell down, with me in it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast