Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: zing it

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ... plus I wanted reflective cord.
    I've thought about going that route too. The lines I've been using where just by happenstance. Bought 180' of lashit it to make up a CRL and split RL's for my new superfly a couple months ago. Remebered I needed guylines for it so... there ya go! Lash-it!!

Still messing with the tensa and solos suspensions, have a new hammock and winter tarp coming in from the RSBR close-out sale and guy-line bling pre-ordered that I don't expect until the end of the month. Once that's all sorted I'll think a little more seriously about a more permanent guy-line solution.

Who knew hanging would be so much work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    ....Who knew hanging would be so much work.

Labor of love for some. I think I still my zingit guy lines from day one... along with nearly all of the other options I've tried over the years. The current setup has proven extremely versatile and easy, so I've stopped looking for alternatives.

I did message Loop Alien dudes asking about compatibility of the hardware with smaller diameter cordage... or, if the end could be bent in a snick so it takes a better bite on smaller line.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Labor of love for some. I think I still my zingit guy lines from day one... along with nearly all of the other options I've tried over the years. The current setup has proven extremely versatile and easy, so I've stopped looking for alternatives.

I did message Loop Alien dudes asking about compatibility of the hardware with smaller diameter cordage... or, if the end could be bent in a snick so it takes a better bite on smaller line.
    ^^^this is the key!^^^ Find something that works and stick with it.

Although I see and read about a lot of setups that appear to me to have a lot of unnecessary moving parts, I appreciate that if they are used consistently in a variety of conditions that they can be deployed quickly and efficiently. It's a matter of sheer repetition.

The problem is that we keep getting distracted by shiny new objects!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Labor of love for some.

... along with nearly all of the other options I've tried over the years.

Absolutely!

I'm trying to avoid that and left my RL's and tie-outs a little long knowing that I'm probably going to be chopping off the end bury's to reconfigure them.

That's cool. Look forward to hearing what he has to say. My 1.75mm's should be fine, but it would nice to have the option to go with 1.2's. Personally, I would be very leary about trying to reshape them at all. My worry being changes to the metal's tensile strength if any amount of heat needs to be applied. Just ignorance on my part though since that kind of thing with titanium is so far out of my wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ...if they are used consistently in a variety of conditions that they can be deployed quickly and efficiently. It's a matter of sheer repetition.
    X2 - Well said!

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I personally love the Nama Claws. I have two of Dutch's CRLs. I had one with prusik one with Tato tarp connectors. Replaced both with Nama Claws. I also have Autumn's CRL. I think I like that a little more just because of less hardware. As far as ease of setup, I don't find a big difference in either. I hang at home a lot and use a tarp with Dutch's. For backpacking, I use Autumn's. After reading the whole post, I imagine the OP would be even more confused. It is great to do a lot of research, but in the end, just pick a method. Use it for awhile, see what you like and don't like. Then, learn other methods and make changes. I am 3+ years into hammocking and still making changes. Mostly done now I think though.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    I am 3+ years into hammocking and still making changes. Mostly done now I think though.
    Why??

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Haha because too much money is going there and I want to thru hike.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    ...I would be very leary about trying to reshape them at all. My worry being changes to the metal's tensile strength if any amount of heat needs to be applied. Just ignorance on my part though since that kind of thing with titanium is so far out of my wheelhouse.
    I wouldn't heat it I would just give it a gentle squeeze in the vice. Dutch once recommended tapping the slot between the Fleaz or Flyz antenna with a flat blade screwdriver to reduce the amount of bite, so I figure maybe the opposite would work too...

...I hang at home a lot and use a tarp with Dutch's. For backpacking, I use Autumn's..
    I hang at home quite a bit too... The last thing I want to do is use a different setup at home than I do on trail. I want the least amount of variables on my hangs. If the only thing that changes is the distance between the trees, I have less to worry about, less to think about and muscle memory can kick in.

...It is great to do a lot of research, but in the end, just pick a method. Use it for awhile, see what you like and don't like. Then, learn other methods and make changes. I am 3+ years into hammocking and still making changes. Mostly done now I think though.
    Hard to not experiment initially, but one group hang can resolve months of research and experimentation. Few better ways to explore the many options that exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Why??
    Curious if you meant why is durunner still making changes or why is durunner mostly done?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234