Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    GilligansWorld, I love the project. Thank you for taking the time to post your details for others to work with.
    Agreed, very cool to see the parts list and instructions and ideas. I'm saving it.

I put up my new tarp this last weekend to see how it fares and while it's not quite designed with doors, I was able to get flaps that closed well at the ends and provided more protection. With my underquilt, uninsulated pad, a wool blanket and sleeping bag (acting as a top quilt), and with only basic clothing, no baselayer, I was comfortably warm in the 30's. With layers I imagine I could be fine at significantly lower temps.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    Agreed, very cool to see the parts list and instructions and ideas. I'm saving it.

I put up my new tarp this last weekend to see how it fares and while it's not quite designed with doors, I was able to get flaps that closed well at the ends and provided more protection. With my underquilt, uninsulated pad, a wool blanket and sleeping bag (acting as a top quilt), and with only basic clothing, no baselayer, I was comfortably warm in the 30's. With layers I imagine I could be fine at significantly lower temps.
    If you cut the wind out of things it makes a huge difference

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

We figuring out the timeframe, still? It's going to be quite cold down here in the Springs over the next few days, possibly with snow, so I'm gonna keep testing my setup.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    We figuring out the timeframe, still? It's going to be quite cold down here in the Springs over the next few days, possibly with snow, so I'm gonna keep testing my setup.
    Please take pics and share them. It really is a lot of fun.

Here are two pics of my very first backyard winter hammock test back in the winter of 2010.

My gear list: Warbonnet 10' black blackbird, ArrowEquipment custom top cover, Hammock Gear winter 3/4UQ, 2QZQ UQ protector, Tarp OES 11x8 with one 2QZQ GrizBeak, Top Quilt WM 5 degree.

4" of snow

The next morning 12" of snow

After this night I was hooked and spent many nights over several years sleeping in the backyard, developing my winter kits. What a great hobby.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-26-2019 at 21:33.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Well she is done. I don't have the pics of the runners or the flap at the back but I think she is going to smash my expectations if I can manager to pull all the s**t I can now carry. Will be dangerous for certain as I can literally carry everything and the kitchen sink. Bonus for the hunting season too - have a much better set up for hauling out game if we harvest any next year. Love the anchor points on the top like that. Really improves leverage when pulling the sled. Also the poles came out pretty sweet. Anyone narrow in some dates? I was eyeballing 1/11-1/15 or perhaps 1/15-1/19 personally.
    Attachment 178722
    Attachment 178721
    Again like I said 1/11-1/15 or 1/15-1/19 are dates I may still be able to request off - might be tougher since I didn't request it right away...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Please take pics and share them. It really is a lot of fun.

Here are two pics of my very first backyard winter hammock test back in the winter of 2010.

My gear list: Warbonnet 10' black blackbird, ArrowEquipment custom top cover, Hammock Gear winter 3/4UQ, 2QZQ UQ protector, Tarp OES 11x8 with one 2QZQ GrizBeak, Top Quilt WM 5 degree.

4" of snow

The next morning 12" of snow

After this night I was hooked and spent many nights over several years sleeping in the backyard, developing my winter kits. What a great hobby.
    I plan on doing one better I was going to videotape it - post it to my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Again like I said 1/11-1/15 or 1/15-1/19 are dates I may still be able to request off - might be tougher since I didn't request it right away...
    I am not sure I can take much time off, so I am thinking that a one-nighter, 1/18-1/19, is best for me. I might be able to get the 17th off if that's what everyone wants to do (17th, 18th, 19th), and pull a two-nighter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Yeah if it's just a few days I'd prefer to do those on my days off which would be 1/15-1/16 which are the closest dates to the ones you mentioned.

Weekends for me are tough because I have to take vacation days and if I do that I would prefer to have at least a four day trip.

Haven't heard back from Strex but maybe in February?

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 12-27-2019 at 13:47. Reason: Correction

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Hey guys, happy new year! Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town, then celebrating the holidays.

Pulk stuff: I just recently ordered my poles / waist belt from skipulk.com, as well as a Paris sled, should make for a great setup. @OutandBack I was recommended to skipulk.com from a pulk class I took at CMC, seems they are highly recommended there as well.

Trip: Currently, I can make just about any time frame in Jan - Feb work, I'll just need a week or two notice. Anywhere in the 15th-19th range would work for me. Surrounding a weekend is always easier than the middle of the week.
    @rwfeldmann @GilligansWorld - Any chance we can compromise and do 17th-18th, or even 16th-18th? I'm also good with either a single night, or two (or more).

@rwfeldmann - If you'd like, I may be able to meet up with you some weekend day, just to talk gear. See where you're at, and what to expect, or be prepared for.. Be nice if we could find a park near some half-way point between us, I don't mind driving a bit.

@BoulderMan - would any of the suggested Jan dates work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Strex View Post
    Hey guys, happy new year! Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town, then celebrating the holidays.

Pulk stuff: I just recently ordered my poles / waist belt from skipulk.com, as well as a Paris sled, should make for a great setup. @OutandBack I was recommended to skipulk.com from a pulk class I took at CMC, seems they are highly recommended there as well.

Trip: Currently, I can make just about any time frame in Jan - Feb work, I'll just need a week or two notice. Anywhere in the 15th-19th range would work for me. Surrounding a weekend is always easier than the middle of the week.
    @rwfeldmann @GilligansWorld - Any chance we can compromise and do 17th-18th, or even 16th-18th? I'm also good with either a single night, or two (or more).

@rwfeldmann - If you'd like, I may be able to meet up with you some weekend day, just to talk gear. See where you're at, and what to expect, or be prepared for.. Be nice if we could find a park near some half-way point between us, I don't mind driving a bit.
    17-18th would be fine with me, and I could probably survive a 17-19th, as well.

As for meeting, yeah, that's a great idea. I know the DTC area best, or we could do Castle Rock if you're closer to the South side of Denver. Perhaps this Sunday, the 5th or next Saturday, the 11th?

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast