Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    The pulk setup looks pretty cool, and quite useful, something to keep in mind for the future. I think my kit is just about done, have the clothing layers pretty much figured out, got the heavier tarp (12x12, will need a good amount of space, have enough material to do doors, I think), have cooking stuff, etc, etc. Just need the snowshoes/spikes.

I've been walking in the mornings like around 5-6AM, testing my layering. It's been down into the low-mid 20's and a 1-1.5 hour walk with just my basic layers (thermal undies+merino socks and top+synthetic vest+down jacket+light gloves+hat) has kept me rather warm, and in the last 30 mins or so I've gotten warm enough where I think I could have swapped out to a lighter outer layer for a while. I'm looking forward to trying colder weather.

Just to be clear, this trip is gonna be an overnighter or were y'all thinking longer? I could ask for a Monday or a Friday off, if need be, just need a few weeks notice.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Well she is done. I don't have the pics of the runners or the flap at the back but I think she is going to smash my expectations if I can manager to pull all the s**t I can now carry. Will be dangerous for certain as I can literally carry everything and the kitchen sink. Bonus for the hunting season too - have a much better set up for hauling out game if we harvest any next year. Love the anchor points on the top like that. Really improves leverage when pulling the sled. Also the poles came out pretty sweet. Anyone narrow in some dates? I was eyeballing 1/11-1/15 or perhaps 1/15-1/19 personally.
    IMG_20191219_185844.jpg
    IMG_20191219_185904.jpg
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 12-19-2019 at 21:27. Reason: poor picture
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Well she is done. I don't have the pics of the runners or the flap at the back but I think she is going to smash my expectations if I can manager to pull all the s**t I can now carry. Will be dangerous for certain as I can literally carry everything and the kitchen sink. Bonus for the hunting season too - have a much better set up for hauling out game if we harvest any next year. Love the anchor points on the top like that. Really improves leverage when pulling the sled. Also the poles came out pretty sweet. Anyone narrow in some dates? I was eyeballing 1/11-1/15 or perhaps 1/15-1/19 personally.
    Nice setup!

I just recently had a week's vacation to Tokyo so I doubt my boss will be keen on letting me take multiple days so soon, but I could probably get the 17th off, and have Fri-Sun available for a two-nighter. I think I prefer a one-night stay, though, as I'm a newb. Let's see what the others are thinking...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I am interested too! January would be tough for me but I'll definitely try to get out if I can.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    All Trussed up as it were. Still need runners and rear flap but basically done

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

What was the total cost, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a parts list (I may have missed it)?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Looks real good. Wondering how the wooden poles will work out for you on trail.In my experience, sometimes the pulk poles need a wee bit of flex on turns on the trail.
    Good lashing. Nothing is gonna fall out of that! Keep heavy stuff down low to avoid tipping and have a top winter trip.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Looks real good. Wondering how the wooden poles will work out for you on trail.In my experience, sometimes the pulk poles need a wee bit of flex on turns on the trail.
    Good lashing. Nothing is gonna fall out of that! Keep heavy stuff down low to avoid tipping and have a top winter trip.
    Shug
    Honored. Thanks for checking it out.

On a side tangent I've heard mixed results about ski wax on the sled bottom. What are your thoughts if I might ask?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    pulk tutorial.jpg
    I Strayed from my build a bit. I didn't use PVC and I Drilled more holes and in different areas along the outside perimeter. I changed the Anchor points and hence more holes and a different build. I changed the tie down approach front and back to bits of rope looped to form the tie down. I added "Handles" with the small yellow lashit featured to carry or move the sled more easily. Lastly my poles and the design of those changed radically. I forgot to add this below but I think I found a 1.5" ring at Home depot for this too but forgot the cost now so sorry.
    So The sled was $40 bucks more or less at Sportsman's Warehouse plus;
    *$15.98 for 2 threaded wooden poles
    *$11.98 - 100' 3/8" rope
    *$5.16 - (2) swivel clips
    *$5.36 - (2) 3/8" Ubolts and plate attachments
    *$1.98 - (2) 2packs of kitchen Eyebolts total of 4
    *$3.96 - (2) spring gate latches
    *$13.53 - 28" Angle Iron section with punch outs
    *$1.08 - (4) nickle plated large 3/8" washers
    *$5.67 - small package JB Weld
    *Bailing wire I had to lash ends of poles
    *clear epoxy I had to coat the lashings.
    Total Price out the door so far - $104.70

Last edited by GilligansWorld; 12-20-2019 at 17:32. Reason: expanded build

Images
    pulk tutorial.jpg
    I Strayed from my build a bit. I didn't use PVC and I Drilled more holes and in different areas along the outside perimeter. I changed the Anchor points and hence more holes and a different build. I changed the tie down approach front and back to bits of rope looped to form the tie down. I added "Handles" with the small yellow lashit featured to carry or move the sled more easily. Lastly my poles and the design of those changed radically. I forgot to add this below but I think I found a 1.5" ring at Home depot for this too but forgot the cost now so sorry.
    So The sled was $40 bucks more or less at Sportsman's Warehouse plus;
    *$15.98 for 2 threaded wooden poles
    *$11.98 - 100' 3/8" rope
    *$5.16 - (2) swivel clips
    *$5.36 - (2) 3/8" Ubolts and plate attachments
    *$1.98 - (2) 2packs of kitchen Eyebolts total of 4
    *$3.96 - (2) spring gate latches
    *$13.53 - 28" Angle Iron section with punch outs
    *$1.08 - (4) nickle plated large 3/8" washers
    *$5.67 - small package JB Weld
    *Bailing wire I had to lash ends of poles
    *clear epoxy I had to coat the lashings.
    Total Price out the door so far - $104.70

GilligansWorld, I love the project. Thank you for taking the time to post your details for others to work with.
    I have snapped a pole in the woods. Tried to take too sharp a turn in deep snow.
    I just made a simple U shaped loop of cord like one would put on a snow sled and it got me and my gear home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast