Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

CO > Winter Backpacking

Hey fellow hangers!

Running out for a last minute backpacking trip/hang, here in CO, starting this Friday. I’m an experienced hiker/backpacker, and prepared for winter weather conditions.

I know conditions are a little sketchy with all the recent snow. I’m prepared with micro spikes, snowshoes, whisperlite, etc.

I’m looking for either an out-n-back, or a loop. Not too concerned about elevation or distance, but that really depends on conditions.

Any recommendations on where I should go?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Help us out a bit - Where you at? How far will you drive to get there? What are some spots you've done so far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Yea, that would probably help hu!?

Denver area. Willing to drive ~3hrs each way.
    I’ve hiked/backpacked just about every trail off 285, Lost Creek, CT 5/6 (Kenosha pass), all around Mt Evans, Boulder area, Golden Gate, Brainard Lake, etc. a few spots near Buena Vista, Breck, as well as a few in Holy Cross (Over 100 trails in the last several years).

My list of to-do’s has gotten pretty short.

Around ~4-6mi/day in snow/ice conditions seems reasonable, especially with our shorter days, and heavier winter load-out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I was eyeballing the Winter Park area. Vasquez road up to the Vasquez wilderness area, or perhaps on the other side on the Jones road.

Just one person's dream I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    I was eyeballing the Winter Park area. Vasquez road up to the Vasquez wilderness area, or perhaps on the other side on the Jones road.

Just one person's dream I guess.

Thanks! I’ll look into those!
    Hopefully we can get together for a hang sometime soon; would enjoy meeting ya!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strex View Post
    Thanks! I’ll look into those!
    Hopefully we can get together for a hang sometime soon; would enjoy meeting ya!

I typically have Wednesdays and Thursdays off but a little advance notice I might be able to take a few days off over a weekend.

You certainly sound like a like-minded hanger - PM me sometime & Good luck

Hey fellow hangers!

Running out for a last minute backpacking trip/hang, here in CO, starting this Friday. I’m an experienced hiker/backpacker, and prepared for winter weather conditions.

I know conditions are a little sketchy with all the recent snow. I’m prepared with micro spikes, snowshoes, whisperlite, etc.

I’m looking for either an out-n-back, or a loop. Not too concerned about elevation or distance, but that really depends on conditions.

Any recommendations on where I should go?

Thanks in advance!

I know I'm coming in late to this conversation, but I'm in Colorado Springs, and am wanting to do some winter hammocking with some experienced folks. You two got any other trips planned? I think a 2.5-3 hour drive might be somewhat reasonable for a weekend trip. I usually have Sat-Sun off.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    I know I'm coming in late to this conversation, but I'm in Colorado Springs, and am wanting to do some winter hammocking with some experienced folks. You two got any other trips planned? I think a 2.5-3 hour drive might be somewhat reasonable for a weekend trip. I usually have Sat-Sun off.
    Hey @rwfeldmann, that’s alright, nice of you to chime in! I was talking to another buddy of mine, about setting up a trip in January. It’s going to be cold, and likely deep, but definitely fun. Perhaps we could get you, me, my buddy and @GilligansWorld together? If that sounds good, let’s start talking dates! I also usually have sat/sun off, but can easily take a fri or mon as well. What do we all think?

Hey @rwfeldmann, that’s alright, nice of you to chime in! I was talking to another buddy of mine, about setting up a trip in January. It’s going to be cold, and likely deep, but definitely fun. Perhaps we could get you, me, my buddy and @GilligansWorld together? If that sounds good, let’s start talking dates! I also usually have sat/sun off, but can easily take a fri or mon as well. What do we all think?
    We talking trekking pole and snowshoe deep? If so, I can pick some up, don't have those yet. Have a location in mind already? I'd like to peek at the maps and if any registration or paperwork needs to be done I can start it asap. I'll also get a list of my cold weather gear and clothes together -- I admit I am a newb, so I may have to ask some dumb-sounding questions.

As long as I have at least two weeks notice or so a Monday or Friday would be doable. Right now my calendar looks clear for January (I'm lame and never really have plans).

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    We talking trekking pole and snowshoe deep? If so, I can pick some up, don't have those yet. Have a location in mind already? I'd like to peek at the maps and if any registration or paperwork needs to be done I can start it asap. I'll also get a list of my cold weather gear and clothes together -- I admit I am a newb, so I may have to ask some dumb-sounding questions.

As long as I have at least two weeks notice or so a Monday or Friday would be doable. Right now my calendar looks clear for January (I'm lame and never really have plans).
    I have yet to "shoe in" on a winter trip but am dying to try out the set I inherited - Time off for me could be tricky - As I said if I know a date I can start working on getting time off - Might be changing Jobs soon to but.....
    I am north of Denver 60 miles In Ft. Collins. ALL of my camping is Dispersed Camping or Free Camping - No permit required. See link below;
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp...28024&actid=34
    Long story short regs are pretty open - 300' from water, 200' from divided road, and 100' off trail unless FS states otherwise.
    Vasquez Rd 15 min outside of Winter Park is supposed to be awesome not hard to access. Not sure if a 2 wd vehicle would do it but one suggestion I have been Eyeballing. Same general area is Jones Rd area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast