Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Are trekking poles and/or snowshoes a good idea? They're not costly, so I can grab some.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    Are trekking poles and/or snowshoes a good idea? They're not costly, so I can grab some.
    I would assume the snow shoes are going to be an absolute must. On the poles me personally I would not consider them an absolute must but it sure makes snowshoeing much easier

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

CO > Winter Backpacking

I would get both if I were you! Walking in snowshoes without poles is like skiing without poles, it’s doable, but you’ll spend most of your time trying to get up and off the ground. Plus, depending on your tarp setup porch-mode is awesome, and uses your poles. Mine come with me on every trip, year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm in Colorado Springs, willing to drive hopefully no longer than 2.5-3 hours, but for the right trip I'll do more. I'm pretty much open to any location, though really tough treks might kick my butt, as I'm not used to much more than recreational walking (and my pack is likely gonna be heavy since I'll be a little over-prepared, just in case).

My only concern at the moment is my overall clothing setup:
    - Thermal undies, top and bottom, 32 Degrees HEAT from Costco
    - Merino wool base layer, top
    - Fleece-lined, water-resistant snow pants
    - Gerry Nimbus Tech jacket w/hood, "Polyfill insulated, water-resistant, mid-weight"
    - A light puffer jacket (80% down, 20% feather) to layer under the Gerry, if needed
    - Merino wool socks, as well as a for-real pair of Mongolian wool socks for sleeping
    - A wool-blend beanie, and a sock-matching Mongolian wool beanie, fits tighter than the other so they can layer
    - A for-real Russian wool sweater, a gift from my wife's family (yep, itchy)
    - A for-real Russian ushanka hat, gift from the wife's family
    - Snow boots, pretty nice when combined with the wool socks
    - Several pairs of gloves that can layer, if needed, including a supposedly thermal glove liner

Not sure if I'd need a shell jacket or shell pants. . . we're not planning on hunting yeti or climbing any peaks. Gaiters might be a good idea.
    I do quite a bit of backpacking and tend to fall into the ultralight category, which I enjoy. It’s not for everyone, and takes a long time to dial your gear down, and figure out exactly what works for you.

IMHO, the list of clothing above is extreme overkill. I typically aim for 3 layers which accommodates 90% of the conditions you’re going to encounter, in the winter, here in Colorado. Plus I always bring a rain jacket, which doubles as a hard shell.

As previously mentioned, here’s a link to my lighterpack winter load-out. I’ll add and remove items from this list, based on the conditions for a particular trip, but this is my general starting point. https://lighterpack.com/r/g740lf

For clothing, I’ll wear the following, in order. Wool mid-weight base layer, workout tshirt, down jacket/vest.
    This works great for me, down to about 0°. If any kind of precipitation rolls in, I’ll toss my rain jacket over the top.

@rwfeldmann not trying to tell you how to wear your cloths, just wanted to give you an example of what works best for me. I hope this is helpful!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    @GilligansWorld when thinking about a location, one thing I’ll do from time to time, is carpool. So perhaps we all meet at the main park-n-ride off E470 & I-70, then carpool in from there.

Depending on how many people we’ve got, we can probably get it down to 2 cars.

This will alleviate the stress of getting your car stuck in the snow, as the roads to and from the park-n-ride are always plowed.

I personally drive a Toyota RAV4 w/AWD, and have yet to get myself stuck, and always pack chains as well as tow lines, just in case.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    @strex thanks and great Idea. I vaguely remember that park and ride too. I commuted to 104th & I-25 for some time and our corporate offices were down in greenwood village kind of right there in the tech center. Anyhow I am at least familiar with south I-25.
    That's an awesome idea and I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by Strex View Post
    I do quite a bit of backpacking and tend to fall into the ultralight category, which I enjoy. It’s not for everyone, and takes a long time to dial your gear down, and figure out exactly what works for you.

IMHO, the list of clothing above is extreme overkill. I typically aim for 3 layers which accommodates 90% of the conditions you’re going to encounter, in the winter, here in Colorado. Plus I always bring a rain jacket, which doubles as a hard shell.

As previously mentioned, here’s a link to my lighterpack winter load-out. I’ll add and remove items from this list, based on the conditions for a particular trip, but this is my general starting point. https://lighterpack.com/r/g740lf

For clothing, I’ll wear the following, in order. Wool mid-weight base layer, workout tshirt, down jacket/vest.
    This works great for me, down to about 0°. If any kind of precipitation rolls in, I’ll toss my rain jacket over the top.

@rwfeldmann not trying to tell you how to wear your cloths, just wanted to give you an example of what works best for me. I hope this is helpful!
    No problem, I listed almost all of my stuff assuming it'd be too much, lol. Knowing what folks do helps get the concept so I appreciate it. I do know that each person is different, so I'll pare it down to only slight overkill: thermals, merino mid, snow pants, and my Gerry jacket, and I'll pack the down jacket and a t-shirt just in case as they can pack pretty small (I also have a shemagh and a balaclava, which are light -- I ride a motorcycle and totally forgot about some of my cold riding gear). If I really need more urgent warmth I have several of those hand/footwarmer packs, they don't take much room and don't weigh a lot. My pack is a 65L so I have room. My whole kit probably weighs several times what yours does, hahaha. Ya know, I just thought that one of those little warmer packs would be perfect to drop in my bottle carrier to keep water from freezing . . I have a stainless steel 32oz bottle, the pack would stick to the side perfectly and lasts for hours, if we're planning on a nice trek.

My rainfly is kinda light, meant for 3-season I think, and doesn't have many tie downs, so I have ordered a slightly heavier one that has more tie downs and is also slightly larger. I will also pick up poles and snow shoes, probably from Costco since they've had a kit available for a while and I have to return some stuff, anyway, so not an extra trip.

I think the park-n-ride and carpool is a great idea. I used to commute to Greenwood Village, right at Orchard and I-25.

Images
    For about 5 years when I was really into winter hanging in Colorado I lead group trips. If I might suggest a possible trip. Kenosha Pass Colorado Trail seg 6 TH is a wonderful adventure. At the summit of Kenosha Pass Hwy 287 there are parking lots and campgrounds on both sides of the highway. One will be open to free camping during the winter. I would suggest all meet and spend the night there for the first night. Then went all have arrived park your vehicles at the TH parking on 287 and start the segment 6 hike. About a mile and a half in leave the Colorado trail and head South along the powerline cut. It will take you to an overlook of SouthPark. Some time snow shoes are needed some times just ice cleats will work. Here's some picts.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57631967349671
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632682827932
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57639168911896

I've been looking at snow shoes and it looks like since I'm a fat b*stard I may need some large shoes . . . I weigh 220lbs, and with my pack likely being around 35-40lbs, I'm looking at 250-300lb rated snow shoes. Something like the "Chinook 80008 Trekker Snowshoes, 36 inch" on Amazon.

Images
    I've been looking at snow shoes and it looks like since I'm a fat b*stard I may need some large shoes . . . I weigh 220lbs, and with my pack likely being around 35-40lbs, I'm looking at 250-300lb rated snow shoes. Something like the "Chinook 80008 Trekker Snowshoes, 36 inch" on Amazon.
    At your weight, this is all the snow shoe you will ever need in Colorado.
    https://www.amazon.com/MSR-22-Inch-H...121296&sr=8-15

The only other thing you might consider is some simple ice spikes. Many times this is all you will need.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast