Hammock
    Clark TX-270

Hello from Missouri: Clark Vertex Ultra

Hello all.

After doing some research here and a lot on line, I bought a Clark TX-270 2 years ago. My girlfriend and I ride BMW GSA's motorcycles off road and have used tents to camp. I wanted to try hammocks as an alternative to save space, weight and time to set up/tear down. She bought the 2 person Vertex Ultra. We slept in it once and didn't like it very much. I'm sure the singles are easier to set up and more comfortable (I've never set up teh TX-270: it's still in the bag and I haven't taken it out), but we like sleeping together. We followed the directions, we thought. SO, my question is, any tips/tricks on how to set up the double so it's more comfortable?

The set up:
    The trees were pretty far apart and I don't think I could get the straps high enough on the tree. I couldn't get the bike to the trees to act as a ladder due to the slope of the ground. The angle of the straps to the trees was wider that the hammock.

Some of our issues:
    When we slept in it, the hammock sagged dramatically and we hit the ground. When I tightened the straps, it got us off the ground but it still wasn't 'flat' by any means.

When she got out, the whole hammock leaned over to my side. In fact, her sleeping bag ended up on my side! We are height/weight appropriate (I weigh 195, 6' tall). It is my understanding that when 1 person leaves, the hammock should stay flat.

I'd like to try it again but she wants to sell the it and use the money for a new tent. Any help would be greatly appreciated before we give up.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostSailor View Post
    Hello all.

When she got out, the whole hammock leaned over to my side. In fact, her sleeping bag ended up on my side! We are height/weight appropriate (I weigh 195, 6' tall). It is my understanding that when 1 person leaves, the hammock should stay flat.
    I had always wondered about this but always assumed that it would be an issue.
    If you want to go double hammocks and still sleep together, Dutchware makes some hardware that you can use a spreader bar on one end and hang two individual hammocks side by side.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/do...whoopie-hooks/
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Clark TX-270
    Those are clever. Thanks for sending the link as there is a lot of cool stuff on that site!

• + New Posts