Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Though I use this slipped half hitch (with a slippery finish) all the time for non-critical light load applications, after reading this thread I think the midshipman's hitch would be a better choice. (thanks WBJOHN or pointing that out)

No plan on falling overboard in the middle of the woods, this still can be relevant to how we can use it, tied under load, not constricting, and adjustable:
    "A bowline cannot be tied under load. Two Half Hitches will slide and constrict [you]. The Rolling Hitch is the answer. Even as the second turn is tucked “up” into the correct place, the major strain is taken and the final Half Hitch can be tied with less urgency."[https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot]

And it probably will work really well with a slippery finish.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Though I use this slipped half hitch (with a slippery finish) all the time for non-critical light load applications, after reading this thread I think the midshipman's hitch would be a better choice. (thanks WBJOHN or pointing that out)

No plan on falling overboard in the middle of the woods, this still can be relevant to how we can use it, tied under load, not constricting, and adjustable:
    "A bowline cannot be tied under load. Two Half Hitches will slide and constrict [you]. The Rolling Hitch is the answer. Even as the second turn is tucked “up” into the correct place, the major strain is taken and the final Half Hitch can be tied with less urgency."[https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot]

And it probably will work really well with a slippery finish.
    Midshipmans hitch, also known as the "Tautline hitch". This is a great knot which works very well with most rope. One known exception is amsteel. If you don't do an end bury, it can pull through. The solution is to add an extra loop to the inside of the tautline and have an end bury to keep it from pulling through.

Another user greyhound352 ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=tautline ) previously suggested using the Grip Hitch on the more slippery rope. I've found the Grip Hitch to be one of the most useful knots.

Everyone does it their own way. The more knots you know, the better.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Midshipmans hitch, also known as the "Tautline hitch".
    This is interesting:
    Regrettable Change: The 1948 (5th edition) of the Boy Scout Handbook included the Midshipman’s Hitch Knot but used the name Taut-Line Hitch. Inexplicably, after the 5th edition, the Boy Scout Handbook retained the name but showed in its place the less secure version (ABOK # 1856, p 310). [https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot]

I have to actually look at this more - I think the taut-line hitch goes around through the loop, and the Midshipman's goes over the loop, but I don't really know yet. I just picked this up when reading this thread, so what do I know?
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    This is interesting:
    Regrettable Change: The 1948 (5th edition) of the Boy Scout Handbook included the Midshipman’s Hitch Knot but used the name Taut-Line Hitch. Inexplicably, after the 5th edition, the Boy Scout Handbook retained the name but showed in its place the less secure version (ABOK # 1856, p 310). [https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot]

I have to actually look at this more - I think the taut-line hitch goes around through the loop, and the Midshipman's goes over the loop, but I don't really know yet. I just picked this up when reading this thread, so what do I know?
    Yes, on the final wrap the Tautline is reversed, goes in the same direction with Midshipmen's.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    ...amsteel. If you don't do an end bury, it can pull through. The solution is to add an extra loop to the inside of the tautline and have an end bury to keep it from pulling through.

Another user greyhound352 ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=tautline ) previously suggested using the Grip Hitch on the more slippery rope. I've found the Grip Hitch to be one of the most useful knots.

Everyone does it their own way. The more knots you know, the better.
    Thank you for the reference to burying the end of the slippery stuff... (I'm using zing-it) and will have to check out the Grip Hitch. Pretty new to dyneema-types and knots in general confound me.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, on the final wrap the Tautline is reversed, goes in the same direction with Midshipmen's.
    Wow. Such a simple difference.

From the same page: "We should all urge Scouting organizations to be consistent with Ashley’s nomenclature and abandon both the Taut Line Hitch, and its name, and teach instead the Midshipman’s Hitch. To reinforce the need for this change, the misspelling “Taught Line Hitch” is astonishingly widespread"

So the AKA is simply a historical error? Is that what I'm seeing?

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Midshipmans hitch, also known as the "Tautline hitch". This is a great knot which works very well with most rope. Everyone does it their own way. The more knots you know, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Oh bloody heck. That's ? I had to try it. Yep. Sheesh.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension

From the same page: "We should all urge Scouting organizations to be consistent with Ashley’s nomenclature and abandon both the Taut Line Hitch, and its name, and teach instead the Midshipman’s Hitch. To reinforce the need for this change, the misspelling “Taught Line Hitch” is astonishingly widespread"

Sure looks that way. And here I am for a few years trying to remember the correct way to tie a taut-line hitch when I was actually doing a Midshipman's Hitch if I did an incorrect taut-line. Now I'll just do a Midshipman's with a couple extra loops.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have used the Grip Hitch successfully on a 7/64 Amsteel hammock adjustable ridgeline, although I have found that, since I never adjust the ridgelne, it is just a waste of good rope. So I'm going to fixed ridgelines with paracord, maybe the 275 version since the 550 is a bit large for my Hangtime Hooks. Or I may just adjust the Hooks a bit. Decisions, decisions. :-)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

I suppose so... they're so similar that one was probably thought of as a variation of the other. I don't know how long tautline has been around but midshipman's must date back a few hundred years, so tautline is perhaps the variation.

Just a guess.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast