Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Question Lawson Guywire for tarp continuous ridgeline, diameter advice.

I like my 2mm Lawson glowire so much for my guylines that I'd like to use the same type of cordage for my tarp continuous ridgeline, except without the reflective properties, Guywire is supposed to be glowire without the reflective part.

My question is, for the ridgeline should I stick with the 2mm offering, or go with the 2.5mm or 3mm offering?
    https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Prod...ord-p1131.html

My tarps are a silpoly 11' WB Superfly, and a heavier ETOWAH 10'x10' PU coated tarp.

Thank you in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 12-04-2019 at 10:18.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like my 2.2mm zing-it, so I would err on the side of a little larger rather than smaller. The 2.5mm sounds like a good compromise. The only other consideration is if you're using any kind of hardware - make sure the diameter you choose fits thru the holes, hooks, etc.

Images
    Yeah, I agree with the suggestion about hardware. A lot of the hardware is designed with 1.75mm Zing-It in mind and while 2mm might work with those, 2.5mm may not.

Lawson's 2.5mm cord was designed to work with Lineloc3 hardware, but that hardware isn't commonly used on tarp ridgelines, at least not as commonly as they're used for guylines. The 2.5mm stuff does work really well with no slipping in the LL3s, but otherwise it is pretty overkill for guylines. Nothing wrong with that other than the extra weight and bulk... which won't matter to everyone.

IMO, you'd be fine with either the 2mm or the 2.5mm. If you tend toward using heavier duty materials with greater factor of safety, choose the 2.5mm. If you'd prefer something lighter and less bulky, the 2mm will still be plenty strong enough for the task.

If you're using knots and hitches in your CRL, the larger diameter is typically a little easier to work with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I like my 2.2mm zing-it, so I would err on the side of a little larger rather than smaller. The 2.5mm sounds like a good compromise. The only other consideration is if you're using any kind of hardware - make sure the diameter you choose fits thru the holes, hooks, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the suggestion about hardware. A lot of the hardware is designed with 1.75mm Zing-It in mind and while 2mm might work with those, 2.5mm may not.

Lawson's 2.5mm cord was designed to work with Lineloc3 hardware, but that hardware isn't commonly used on tarp ridgelines, at least not as commonly as they're used for guylines. The 2.5mm stuff does work really well with no slipping in the LL3s, but otherwise it is pretty overkill for guylines. Nothing wrong with that other than the extra weight and bulk... which won't matter to everyone.

IMO, you'd be fine with either the 2mm or the 2.5mm. If you tend toward using heavier duty materials with greater factor of safety, choose the 2.5mm. If you'd prefer something lighter and less bulky, the 2mm will still be plenty strong enough for the task.

If you're using knots and hitches in your CRL, the larger diameter is typically a little easier to work with.
    Thanks for the info!

I plan on using a bowline on one end, and either a truckers hitch or figure-9 on the other, prusik knots for tarp tension.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Any concern for damage to the tarp with the 2 mm as a continuous ridge line under the tarp?
    GeneH, I'm StinkBait from BCUSA forums that posted about glowire over there, I also want to know the answer to this question.
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 12-04-2019 at 11:14.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    GeneH, I'm StinkBait from BCUSA forums that posted about glowire over there, I also want to know the answer to this question.

HAHAHAHAHAH. HA. That's exactly what prompted me to ask the question! Smaller world than I realize sometimes.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Oh look at that. Lawson finally came out with the 2.5mm Guywire! And 25% off. Santa came early. EARLY!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I don't think you'd have to worry about tarp damage. You WILL need to be concerned with water intrusion from running/wicking down the lines under your tarp. I'd avoid that. I've seen too many guys' trip cut short due to wet gear from this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice-N-beans View Post
    I like my 2mm Lawson glowire so much for my guylines that I'd like to use the same type of cordage for my tarp continuous ridgeline, except without the reflective properties, Guywire is supposed to be glowire without the reflective part.

My question is, for the ridgeline should I stick with the 2mm offering, or go with the 2.5mm or 3mm offering?
    https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Prod...ord-p1131.html

My tarps are a silpoly 11' WB Superfly, and a heavier ETOWAH 10'x10' PU coated tarp.

Thank you in advance for the help!
    Hey Rice-N-Beans,

I've been using Lawson's 2mm Reflective Glowire and bar tensioners for the last two years. It holds my Noah's tarp 16 and Superfly just fine and I haven't had to replace it yet. I use it for the ridgeline and guylines. I'd imagine the guywire would work the same just not reflective.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast