Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I trust his reviews 100% and I have seen quite a few responses to him on Facebook saying they bought it and love it!
    Yeah, well. Spiguyer's review of the Sierra Madre Research Inferno quilts actually convinced me against my better judgement to buy the underquilt. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I couldn't imagine the design to work well with a diagonal lay. But he seemed like a knowledgeable guy with lots of gear to compare. Turns out the underquilt behaved exactly like I had originally assumed it would: it doesn't allow for a diagonal lay at all. Either the feet or the shoulders are popping out of the underquilt. I'm not quick to post negative replies - and I'm not active on Facebook. Looking at the Youtube comments, most only say "great review" (which it was), not "I own it and it's a great underquilt". I wonder how many people ordered a quilt, and I wonder how many are happy with it. I guess if you only compare it to bad underquilt designs, you might actually feel that it's a great quilt. But if you compare it to an underquilt from HammockGear, UGQ or Locolibre, it simply sucks. And I'm not even talking about the Wooki-design, which to me is the gold standard.

I also bought more than one hammock recommended by Derek from the Ultimate Hang, and was disappointed with many purchases. Hence I have become very skeptical about reviews hyping certain hammocks or hammock gear. And I certainly don't trust anybody 100%, especially if they get sent gear for free.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yeah, well. Spiguyer's review of the Sierra Madre Research Inferno quilts actually convinced me against my better judgement to buy the underquilt. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I couldn't imagine the design to work well with a diagonal lay. But he seemed like a knowledgeable guy with lots of gear to compare. Turns out the underquilt behaved exactly like I had originally assumed it would: it doesn't allow for a diagonal lay at all. Either the feet or the shoulders are popping out of the underquilt. I'm not quick to post negative replies - and I'm not active on Facebook. Looking at the Youtube comments, most only say "great review" (which it was), not "I own it and it's a great underquilt". I wonder how many people ordered a quilt, and I wonder how many are happy with it. I guess if you only compare it to bad underquilt designs, you might actually feel that it's a great quilt. But if you compare it to an underquilt from HammockGear, UGQ or Locolibre, it simply sucks. And I'm not even talking about the Wooki-design, which to me is the gold standard.

I also bought more than one hammock recommended by Derek from the Ultimate Hang, and was disappointed with many purchases. Hence I have become very skeptical about reviews hyping certain hammocks or hammock gear. And I certainly don't trust anybody 100%, especially if they get sent gear for free.
    I am suprised at this because I have used the inferno and had no problems at all with it. I was warm and toasty and had no slippage like i do with my regular quilt

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I am suprised at this because I have used the inferno and had no problems at all with it. I was warm and toasty and had no slippage like i do with my regular quilt
    We're getting off topic, but with which hammock did you use it with? How tight did you pull the underquilt suspension? Which other underquilts have you tried?

The underquilt itself is certainly as warm as can be expected with the baffle design and the amount of down used. And if you lie inline, it actually works very well because of the central suspension. But the challenge is to set it up tight enough to avoid air gaps, and still get it to turn diagonally with the lay. I did demo the Inferno on a group hang, and pretty much everybody agreed. We hung it and other underquilts under a Monolite hammock, which was eye opening since you can see exactly where the underquilt touches the hammock, and where there are big gaps. I hope that I will be able to make a video showing this one day.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    We're getting off topic, but with which hammock did you use it with? How tight did you pull the underquilt suspension? Which other underquilts have you tried?

The underquilt itself is certainly as warm as can be expected with the baffle design and the amount of down used. And if you lie inline, it actually works very well because of the central suspension. But the challenge is to set it up tight enough to avoid air gaps, and still get it to turn diagonally with the lay. I did demo the Inferno on a group hang, and pretty much everybody agreed. We hung it and other underquilts under a Monolite hammock, which was eye opening since you can see exactly where the underquilt touches the hammock, and where there are big gaps. I hope that I will be able to make a video showing this one day.
    I used it on a Ninox, and the other quilts I have used is an UGQ 20 deg and a hammock gear 20 and a cro 40

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I used it on a Ninox, and the other quilts I have used is an UGQ 20 deg and a hammock gear 20 and a cro 40
    Either you lie inline enough for the Inferno to fit - or the quilt suspension is loose enough for the Inferno to be able to turn. It's difficult to get an underquilt with a tight 4-corner-suspension to turn diagonal; I found it almost impossible to get the Inferno to turn, let alone stay in that position. But that is a discussion for another thread.

@flyefysch - if you're still following this thread: Warbonnet just announced a holiday sale and you could get a single layer Eldorado hammock without suspension for only $88. Yes, this is $28 above your budget, but you would have to be really lucky to find anything even close for $60 or less. I know you said 10’ long and 5.5’-6’ wide, but you wouldn't be able to use that kind of width with a 10' hammock anyway. Unless you're taller than 74", you will find that the Eldorado is plenty wide.

RSBR still has a few of their $25 liquidation hammocks for sale and they are posting a bit larger version sometime today. Might be worth a look.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...-closeout-sale

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

I miss my Monolite. Being able to see the UQ was great.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Being able to see your uq doesn't do you much good when your *** is on the ground é. Sorry I couldn't help myself but I hope you can see the humor in it by now.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    What's your guy's take on Grand Trunk?
    They've had a lot of good reviews for the doubles. I'm considering those now. If it needs reduced in width, it seems easy enough.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    GT hammocks are under 10'. I have a couple of similar hammocks and never got warm with them. If you're willing to go netless, look at Dutch's 1.7 (not 1.6) Hexon hammocks, or Rbtr's Appalachian hammocks. Both cheap, both 11', both comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast