Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Affordable (cheap) Hammock?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a backpacking hammock with a big net that is cheaply priced ($60 or under) yet not too cheaply made. Looking for something about 10’ long and 5.5’-6’ wide. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Probably going to catch flack for this as most here would say support a cottage vendor, spend a little extra and get a good hammock that can last a long time...BUT...I saw this review and I respect the poster

https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think $60 is roughly the value of raw materials for a hammock with bug net, so you probably won't find an American-made hammock, unless somebody on the forum would offer to sew one for you for free. So you are basically looking for a Chinese-made hammock. Nothing against China, but they are in it solely for business purposes and don't have any interest in the subject. Hence most hammocks are too short and narrow, and the designs are often lacking in other areas as well. However, the "onewind Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net Tree Straps Adjustable Ridgeline Double 2 Person Portable Hammock XL Lightweight Nylon" was recently mentioned favorably on the forum. I haven't seen any of these, and I don't know how much experience those who recommended them have with other hammocks. I have bought different hammocks based on recommendations I found on this forum only to be heavily disappointed.

If you are planning to use the hammock for frequent camping, I would recommend that you wait a little bit longer and save some more. For $150 you would be able to buy a decent hammock with an integrated net that will likely last you for years. Personally, I have often found the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" to be true.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    How about a Dutch Half Wit?

Only a few dollars more than your budget. Really well made. Integrated half bug net, which has grown to be my preferred system.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I think $60 is roughly the value of raw materials for a hammock with bug net, so you probably won't find an American-made hammock, unless somebody on the forum would offer to sew one for you for free. So you are basically looking for a Chinese-made hammock. Nothing against China, but they are in it solely for business purposes and don't have any interest in the subject. Hence most hammocks are too short and narrow, and the designs are often lacking in other areas as well. However, the "onewind Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net Tree Straps Adjustable Ridgeline Double 2 Person Portable Hammock XL Lightweight Nylon" was recently mentioned favorably on the forum. I haven't seen any of these, and I don't know how much experience those who recommended them have with other hammocks. I have bought different hammocks based on recommendations I found on this forum only to be heavily disappointed.

If you are planning to use the hammock for frequent camping, I would recommend that you wait a little bit longer and save some more. For $150 you would be able to buy a decent hammock with an integrated net that will likely last you for years. Personally, I have often found the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" to be true.
    Yowza that thread got outta control in a hurry!

What would be helpful is for folks to do what Spiguyver did and have the product in question in hand to set up and review, and, even better, actually use it on a couple of backpacking trips.

Well we're all going to want to try the cheep stuff first just to see if we like it at all. For me it was a Grand Trunk something-or-other that I still have in the bin. If this hammock is to be used frequently on the trail for actual trips, multi-night and in places where a bail-out is difficult, then it's a bit of a risk. Also depends if one is hard or easy on gear.

Otherwise it's back to the old maxim, "Light, Cheap, Durable... pick any two"
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yowza that thread got outta control in a hurry!
    Your definition of "getting out of control" seems to be very different to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What would be helpful is for folks to do what Spiguyver did and have the product in question in hand to set up and review, and, even better, actually use it on a couple of backpacking trips.

Well we're all going to want to try the cheep stuff first just to see if we like it at all. For me it was a Grand Trunk something-or-other that I still have in the bin. If this hammock is to be used frequently on the trail for actual trips, multi-night and in places where a bail-out is difficult, then it's a bit of a risk. Also depends if one is hard or easy on gear.
    In contrast to many other members, I don't condemn cheap hammocks categorically. That's why I have been buying and trying out quite a few over the years. In my opinion there are very few cheap hammocks out there worth spending money on, and nothing that I would recommend without reservation. In most cases I was sorry for having spent the money on a hammock that some of the reviewers made sound a worthwhile investment. That's why I have become wary of reviews and generally advise beginners to rather save up a little longer. If you have little money to start with, it hurts doubly when the gear doesn't do what you were hoping for and you end up spending the money you could have spent right away.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Your definition of "getting out of control" seems to be very different to mine.

In contrast to many other members, I don't condemn cheap hammocks categorically. That's why I have been buying and trying out quite a few over the years. In my opinion there are very few cheap hammocks out there worth spending money on, and nothing that I would recommend without reservation. In most cases I was sorry for having spent the money on a hammock that some of the reviewers made sound a worthwhile investment. That's why I have become wary of reviews and generally advise beginners to rather save up a little longer. If you have little money to start with, it hurts doubly when the gear doesn't do what you were hoping for and you end up spending the money you could have spent right away.
    I also do not condemn categorically, and I have seen your hands-on reviews many times and appreciate them. They're a real service to the community.

Wasting money when it is 'tight' is one thing, and also ending up on your butt in the middle of a remote wilderness on a rainy night is another.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I had this "catch 22" discussion with a friend recently about getting into hammock camping. It is hard to find out if you really like hammock camping without making a couple hundred dollar investment and trying a decent hammock setup. How hard would it be for one of our cottage vendors to set up a demo program? Customer pays for shipping and maybe a small rental fee and is responsible for any damages. I know that they all have hammocks lying around that they could use for they program. Who cares if they are blemished. Maybe even let them buy it if they like it and not have to send it back. That way, for a relatively small investment the customer gets to try before they buy.

There is also always the option to make the investment and sell it on the forums if it doesn't work. In the end, though, I think that a lot of us have spent money trying to cut costs only to end up spending more to get the better gear.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My opinion on buying cheap is to not pay for design and engineering of an integrated net hammock if you’re wanting the least expensive option. Buying one of those cheap only seems to make it more likely it becomes obsolete later due to failure, small size, or poor design. A regular cheap hammock is ok, hard to screw that up. Separate net is up to you, but might consider all you might need is a headnet.

Personally, I think the Warbonnet Eldorado is a great deal normally, but a screaming one if discounted like it was recently.

That said, the Byer Moskito Kakoon is worth a look. They’ve been doing this long enough to trust that product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion would be to head over to The Ultimate Hang and/or Shug's You Tube videos and check out their reviews of inexpensive set up. You can Google both and end up on their links.

60.00 is not much for a hammock/net set up and that would not include a suspension.

Personally I use the cheap hammocks a lot for quick naps (always have one in my day pack), for the kids in the family in the back yard, or to loan out. None of mine are over 9'6" and while good for napping I would not spend a night in them. They also do no come with a bug net but I do have a couple of extras that I got from Dutch that are a Fronkey style.

Good luck with your hunt.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast