Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
I trust his reviews 100% and I have seen quite a few responses to him on Facebook saying they bought it and love it!
Yeah, well. Spiguyer's review of the Sierra Madre Research Inferno quilts actually convinced me against my better judgement to buy the underquilt. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I couldn't imagine the design to work well with a diagonal lay. But he seemed like a knowledgeable guy with lots of gear to compare. Turns out the underquilt behaved exactly like I had originally assumed it would: it doesn't allow for a diagonal lay at all. Either the feet or the shoulders are popping out of the underquilt. I'm not quick to post negative replies - and I'm not active on Facebook. Looking at the Youtube comments, most only say "great review" (which it was), not "I own it and it's a great underquilt". I wonder how many people ordered a quilt, and I wonder how many are happy with it. I guess if you only compare it to bad underquilt designs, you might actually feel that it's a great quilt. But if you compare it to an underquilt from HammockGear, UGQ or Locolibre, it simply sucks. And I'm not even talking about the Wooki-design, which to me is the gold standard.

I also bought more than one hammock recommended by Derek from the Ultimate Hang, and was disappointed with many purchases. Hence I have become very skeptical about reviews hyping certain hammocks or hammock gear. And I certainly don't trust anybody 100%, especially if they get sent gear for free.