Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Just received my Appalachian hammock from rbtr and I love it. I already had a whoopie sling setup from an amazon hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Thanks for the recommendations!

That's a shame that the actual size is that far off on those.

I checked with rsbtr and after a few hours of trying to do business, their payment methods are limited to what I no longer consider secure enough. I like their products and the email communication is polite, but its just not going to happen unless they can accept a simple prepayment that's worked for decades with others.
    My preference is DIY with a couple specific fabrics for tarp, hammock, and netting. Then I saw something I am considering at GT which is where I'm at. Perhaps Dutch will get the color that I want in stock, etc.
    If I go with Dutchs I'll follow your advice and get the 1.7.
    ��

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations!

That's a shame that the actual size is that far off on those.

I checked with rsbtr and after a few hours of trying to do business, their payment methods are limited to what I no longer consider secure enough. I like their products and the email communication is polite, but its just not going to happen unless they can accept a simple prepayment that's worked for decades with others.
    My preference is DIY with a couple specific fabrics for tarp, hammock, and netting. Then I saw something I am considering at GT which is where I'm at. Perhaps Dutch will get the color that I want in stock, etc.
    If I go with Dutchs I'll follow your advice and get the 1.7.
    ��
    What do you mean by prepayment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Pmayojr87,

Unfortunately, I've wasted lots of time in their online store.
    I've wasted more time trying to read terms of service with xyz app for payment. I don't agree to the rediculous terms of service for one possible E payment option. Its not kyles. Its the online service. I do not do credit cards anymore after being robbed so many times it'd bore you.
    Ive asked and they will not accept a simple prepaid money order. For those not familiar, you can go to any post office, and 100 other places, pay cash and they issue something like a check. Difference is that its guaranteed to the addressee without need to clear with the issuers bank....like paying cash but safer.

That's ok. There's other online fabric stores. For now on I'll just check payment methods before wasting valuable time shopping.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekozn View Post
    Being able to see your uq doesn't do you much good when your *** is on the ground é. Sorry I couldn't help myself but I hope you can see the humor in it by now.

No worries... Looking back on the catastrophe, it's funny.. Not as much humor in at as it happened. It was a lesson learned the hard (best) way. That was a really comfy hammock, until it wasn't.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Probably going to catch flack for this as most here would say support a cottage vendor, spend a little extra and get a good hammock that can last a long time...BUT...I saw this review and I respect the poster

https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1 on the Ridge Outdoor Gear Lay Flat. I have it and first thing I did was replace the suspension with Amsteel. Then I seam ripped the stuff sack off and converted it with a hole/grommet on the bottom. The whoopie sling is mostly inside with the bead on the outside so it is always easy to grab without removing the bag. Bead cannot fit through the grommet. $1 loofah scrubbie morphed into a snakeskin and it all fits into the bag in a jiffy.

Construction is quality. Bug net is a big step up from my original hammock with the wrap around the whole dang thing bug net (bulky, heavy and cumbersome). Considering buying another one just to get a replacement bug net (if they don't offer a replacement) and modifying the second bug net with an added solid cover like Dutch's Chameleon.

I'm all for the buy what you can afford and just get out there crowd. And I know there are those that will scoff at my choice of hammock, but, at my age I've lived through a lifetime of criticism and I just don't g-a-s! Cottage industry folks are doing a wonderful business and produce wonderful gear. They have their place in the market and if they keep being innovative they will always be successful. I'm not sure that all of them want everybody's business cause you all know where that goes eventually. They get too big for their britches and then come the accountants and lawyers and we all know how that ends. Some of us, despite purist's views that we are ruining the experience, are actually encouraging many others to experience the hang. That in the long run will benefit even more cottage industry folks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yeah, well. Spiguyer's review of the Sierra Madre Research Inferno quilts actually convinced me against my better judgement to buy the underquilt. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I couldn't imagine the design to work well with a diagonal lay. But he seemed like a knowledgeable guy with lots of gear to compare. Turns out the underquilt behaved exactly like I had originally assumed it would: it doesn't allow for a diagonal lay at all.
    I value a review that is concise and cogent - sorry, but I'm not listening to anyone who makes a 16-minute video to review a quilt. Some people make even longer video reviews, but I'm not watching them.

And then there's the whole thing where someone is clearly enamored with the cheapest possible hammock gear you can buy. Once I know you are a skinflint, then I have a hard time listening to anything you say - you're just gonna stick to the cheap stuff and pretend like it's acceptable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Another way to work this is to buy used. Buy Quality. Probably not super ethical but I figure if you bought used and only use it say a time or two re-sell it for what you purchased it for and all you are out is shipping which to me would be a fair trade - Call it a rental fee - and you wind up a winner either way. You now have hands on experience for that little bit of money. Do this until you find what you really like. Problem solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345