I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Though I did not post the video on HF, I did a hammock chat on the topic of brand new folks or those just wanting to see if hammocks work for them getting an inexpensive hammock to try it out.
    When and if they are ready to upgrade or just add more to the hammock armada then our cottage vendors await them.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I had this "catch 22" discussion with a friend recently about getting into hammock camping. It is hard to find out if you really like hammock camping without making a couple hundred dollar investment and trying a decent hammock setup. How hard would it be for one of our cottage vendors to set up a demo program?...........
    Respectfully I disagree for a few reasons highlighted below;
    1). When I first began my setup I had traditional camping gear. I believe the real investment that I erroneously made was for a tarp which in my area probably wasn't even necessary - but I purchased gear to go the first time out to the tune of $90 (material for a hammock and a tarp, cordage for the hammock and the tarp and a roll of reflectics that I sandwiched between an old army surplus blanket) Again total cost to retrofit everything about 90 bucks. See link to Video showing my experience using my gear
    https://youtu.be/Koglj-QlaOU
    And in the field
    https://youtu.be/8o1Fd3FJBn8

2) depending where you live there are large group hangs that you see all the time. It was always mentioned to me to go to one of these so I might be able to see some of the gear potentially sit in it but at least talk to the people that had it and gain some experience that way. specifically for me these things never seem to work out Colorado does not seem to be a state that has high percentage of group hangs but on the East coast and in the Midwest it seems to have a large following.

3) This business model is currently being used by these businesses starting with REI, who IMHO, will probably be the first big store to perfect this.
    https://www.rei.com/rentals?s_kwcid=...waAqPdEALw_wcB

These Folks have a sweet site - And it's this group of people I think stand the best chance of working with our cottage vendor community but I haven't seen much so far..
    https://www.mountainsidegearrental.c...h-you-comfort/

And finally if you're looking for true name brand stuff things with brand recognition that most people recognize there's this site.
    https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product...ntal/hammocks/

Our industry is just a little too niche Right now but I believe in the next few years this business model for camping rental will be utilized. And my investigations there are a couple of companies that are heavily using the mail order gear rental system I believe this is where the future of the industry is bound to go specifically regarding our national park systems and people that have not had experience camping and do not want to purchase gear themselves.
    a co-op of sorts would be a fourth option but I doubt this would be a hugely popular deal since REI has really cornered the market on such a deal

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Affordable (cheap) Hammock?

Maybe a used Hennessy? I picked up a Hennessy Expedition online for $60. Good starter hammock. It gave me everything I needed in one package.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Probably going to catch flack for this as most here would say support a cottage vendor, spend a little extra and get a good hammock that can last a long time...BUT...I saw this review and I respect the poster

https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In all honesty, the Ridge Hammock seems like a very nice kit- especially for the price. Not only have I seen Spiguyver's review, I've also seen comments made by other hangers who use this hammock, or saw Spiguyver's at the recent Texas hang. All of them had a positive take on the hammock in terms of quality, dimensions/comfort, and price. For under $50, I don't think you can go wrong with this hammock. I use cottage gear myself; but there is no way I can discredit the Ridge hammock as a quality/viable option for folks on a strict budget- or for anyone wanting to test the hobby.

That said, I would not recommend most cheap "Amazon" hammocks; but the Ridge Hammock is definitely in the minority as far as budget hammocks are concerned.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    When I first began my setup I had traditional camping gear. I believe the real investment that I erroneously made was for a tarp which in my area probably wasn't even necessary - but I purchased gear to go the first time out to the tune of $90 (material for a hammock and a tarp, cordage for the hammock and the tarp and a roll of reflectics that I sandwiched between an old army surplus blanket) Again total cost to retrofit everything about 90 bucks.
    I started about the same way growing up backpacking and wanting to try a hammock because I was tired of sleeping on the ground. Bought a cheap hammock, used one of my tent pads and a sleeping bag, had a cheap tarp that I made work with some cordage from the garage. Not that these hammocks don't match specs of cottage vendors hammocks, but I guess my question is, how many people walk away from giving hammocks a decent shot after a not so great first experience? I'm glad that I didn't. I understand that it is hard to make the initial investment without knowing if you will like it, but you might not like it until you are in the right hammock with underquilts and a decent tarp. I guess that the same can be said for tents and pads as well and getting the best experience from better gear. Like you said, though, hammocks are "niche" gear. You can't go to the local outdoor store and pick up this stuff and /or return it if it doesn't work. Maybe it's just the salesman in me that thinks that trying turns into buying. Hammocking has come a long way so maybe it is not too far away.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    We all started somewhere and the OP is no exception. I spent a whopping $37 for my first hammock including bugnet and suspension (daisy chain tree straps) from the Walmart clearance bin in the camping section. I would hate to add up what I've spent since but $37 opened the rabbit hole for me and I've yet to regret it. Sure, the hammock was short, didn't have a SRL and was made of three sections of fabric but the first night I slept in it reopened the door to primitive camping for me and was the gateway to the many trips in cars, kayaks and airplanes that I do now.

To the OP I say, Go for it and don't look back. Buy something at Walmart or Amazon that has the things you need for the price you can afford. Use Costco Down Throws for under and top quilts (there are no-sew options on youtube) and a blue tarp to keep the rain off. You will love it and that hammock will hold fond memories for you. Just realize that there's always something better and you will want it. Don't say I didn't warn you
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I started about the same way growing up backpacking and wanting to try a hammock because I was tired of sleeping on the ground. Bought a cheap hammock, used one of my tent pads and a sleeping bag, had a cheap tarp that I made work with some cordage from the garage. Not that these hammocks don't match specs of cottage vendors hammocks, but I guess my question is, how many people walk away from giving hammocks a decent shot after a not so great first experience? I'm glad that I didn't. I understand that it is hard to make the initial investment without knowing if you will like it, but you might not like it until you are in the right hammock with underquilts and a decent tarp. I guess that the same can be said for tents and pads as well and getting the best experience from better gear. Like you said, though, hammocks are "niche" gear. You can't go to the local outdoor store and pick up this stuff and /or return it if it doesn't work. Maybe it's just the salesman in me that thinks that trying turns into buying. Hammocking has come a long way so maybe it is not too far away.
    Absolutely Don't misunderstand me I think you are correct. I just think you have looked for the solution in the wrong spot.
    I implore you to check out these gear rental places if You have any question at all about a specific hammock. IMO You've already stated one of the more underlooked areas, which is true of any sport. Everybody's experience is highly subjective and what works for me may not work for you. Best practices aside these endeavors inevitably turn out to be a highly subjective experience That can turn on a dime if you're too cold if you have pressure points if it's a new experience.....
    Renting the equipment from one of the suppliers I provided above would at least offer you the chance to quote " try before you buy"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    In my opinion, the issue of folks giving up on hammock camping because they started with inferior gear is mostly perceived- as evidenced by that fact that the vast majority of us hangers/cottage vendor gear owners started with so-called "inferior" gear. I am sure there are some folks who walk away from hammocks because they tried a crappy hammock, and were none the wiser. But in the majority of cases, this does not happen. For most people, even a too-short, too-narrow, too-heavy hammock is STILL going to be more comfortable than sleeping on the ground!

The fact is that most of our beloved cottage vendors exist because of ENO, Grand Trunk, etc...If I hadn't purchased my Skeeter Beeter Pro initially, I probably wouldn't own my Dream Hammocks. That's just how it is for most of us.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    To the OP...

Maybe a DIY option is the best idea..

You can buy the raw fabric for well under your budget. Catch a sale at a vendor like RBTR and you'll save even more. Or do a search for table cloth hammock.

Try making a whipped end hammock that can be undone and retied at various lengths so you see what length you like most. Easy enough to find a set of continuous loops.. gotta think there are tons of backups among all the HF members, or buy them pre-made for next to nothing. Or, I'll make you set for nothing.. Happy holidays.

With what you save on the fabric you can buy 12' tree straps from Harbor Freight and use the hitch of choice to connect to the hammock, still have some money left to go towards the bug net.

As far as the buy cheap buy twice notion... Cheap and inexpensive are different things for me. Cheap means I run the risk of failure or extreme discomfort. Inexpensive means I give up some of the frills that a more expensive piece might have. Dutch had a sale a while back on Hexon 1.0 hammocks.. Might have been just the body. I seem to recall the price under $40. It was a no frills piece for sure and had no net. It was inexpensive but by no means cheap. I spent the night in one of those after my Monolite suffered a catastrophic failure (and that thing was neither cheap nor inexpensive.. it happens). HG Econ vs Premium quilts.. inexpensive option.. not cheap stuff.

I am not opposed to inexpensive options (and am comfortable recommending them) if it means you are on the trail having fun when you might otherwise not be.

And sometimes buying inexpensive and buying twice isn't a bad thing. Not every piece of kit needs to be top notch stuff. Again, if it means you get out between the trees, go with the inexpensive (not cheap) option, upgrade later when you know more about what you want, and write off the out-of-pocket as 'cost of enjoyment' or 'learning expense'.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    To the OP...

Maybe a DIY option is the best idea..

You can buy the raw fabric for well under your budget. Catch a sale at a vendor like RBTR and you'll save even more. Or do a search for table cloth hammock.

Try making a whipped end hammock that can be undone and retied at various lengths so you see what length you like most. Easy enough to find a set of continuous loops.. gotta think there are tons of backups among all the HF members, or buy them pre-made for next to nothing. Or, I'll make you set for nothing.. Happy holidays.

With what you save on the fabric you can buy 12' tree straps from Harbor Freight and use the hitch of choice to connect to the hammock, still have some money left to go towards the bug net.

As far as the buy cheap buy twice notion... Cheap and inexpensive are different things for me. Cheap means I run the risk of failure or extreme discomfort. Inexpensive means I give up some of the frills that a more expensive piece might have. Dutch had a sale a while back on Hexon 1.0 hammocks.. Might have been just the body. I seem to recall the price under $40. It was a no frills piece for sure and had no net. It was inexpensive but by no means cheap. I spent the night in one of those after my Monolite suffered a catastrophic failure (and that thing was neither cheap nor inexpensive.. it happens). HG Econ vs Premium quilts.. inexpensive option.. not cheap stuff.

I am not opposed to inexpensive options (and am comfortable recommending them) if it means you are on the trail having fun when you might otherwise not be.

And sometimes buying inexpensive and buying twice isn't a bad thing. Not every piece of kit needs to be top notch stuff. Again, if it means you get out between the trees, go with the inexpensive (not cheap) option, upgrade later when you know more about what you want, and write off the out-of-pocket as 'cost of enjoyment' or 'learning expense'.
    Excellent observations that apply to every one of us!

The main thing is just to get out there and use whatever you've got.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast