Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Military Module Sleep System

I have acquired another module sleep system, as pictured below. The label on the ends say the green bag is rated for 30* and the black bag is rated for -10* and layering them together gets you down -50*. I have slept in the black bag before but only down to around 18* and it did keep me nice and toasty. My plan was to strip the zipper and hood off and use it as a TQ, the foot box is already sewn in. My question to everyone is, has anyone used these in temperatures below 0*? I was wondering how accurate the temp ratings were.

gi modular sleep system.jpg
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Images
    My understanding is that when they're layered together the combination is rated for -10°F and can be pushed to -50°F "when used with various insulating layers of the extended cold weather clothing system." And I don't know this for a fact, but I assume those are EN/ISO extreme/survival ratings, not comfort or lower limit ratings.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ve had the black one on its own down to the single digits. I’ve never been out any colder than that so I can’t vouch for how much extra you get with doubling them up.

I do know you need a pretty sizable pack to fit the two layered together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Military Module Sleep System

Stayed warm at -7° using the entire system on my deck with two closed cell pads underneath. Napped off and on for 3 hours. Condensation from breathing got the best of me and I retreated to the house. I found that it was easy to over heat when using the green and black bags inside the bivy.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    My understanding is that when they're layered together the combination is rated for -10°F and can be pushed to -50°F "when used with various insulating layers of the extended cold weather clothing system." And I don't know this for a fact, but I assume those are EN/ISO extreme/survival ratings, not comfort or lower limit ratings.

I never plan to go any where near -10 anyway. Just curious how low it would go comfortably. Low teens to single digits is my limit. And I’m thinking the black bag by itself should handle that.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I’ve had the black one on its own down to the single digits. I’ve never been out any colder than that so I can’t vouch for how much extra you get with doubling them up.

I do know you need a pretty sizable pack to fit the two layered together.

I only plan to carry to the black bag by itself and really only when car camping. Definitely not backpacking item.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Stayed warm at -7° using the entire system on my deck with two closed cell pads underneath. Napped off and on for 3 hours. Condensation from breathing got the best of me and I retreated to the house. I found that it was easy to over heat when using the green and black bags inside the bivy.
    Thats good to know. Thank you.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Don't know about the whole system, but I remember being disappointed in how heavy just the bivy was [this was even before I found out about hammocking and down quilts]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tried my system in sub zero temps with a insulated mat and wool blanket underneath in the backyard, I was back in the house in a half hour. I have to add my .02, this system will not get you down to -50 unless you have all the layers of the extended cold weather system. I love those pictures which they lure you in to buying on, they do not loft like in the pictures in real life, unless I had two which were stored under a tank track , I since sold one.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Having spent years sleeping in this system in the Marines, I will say that I slept in both bags comfortably in a tent into the 20s. Past that warming layers are needed. The extended cold weather additions (warming layers and what is affectionately known as the happy suit with down gloves, jacket, pants, and booties) is necessary for anything below zero. We have since switched to a better system, but either way I always have my woobie in it as well. There are better and lighter bags, but if the price is right, it isn't a horrible system. Recommend a different bivvy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast