DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

Using the multi functional JRB Sniveller as an underquilt...

Hi all:

This question is aimed at soliciting opinions on using the JRB Sierra Sniveller as an UQ. This product advertises it can do this job, but am wondering if anyone out there with some good ideas on how to rig it up. I was thinking of using this as a backup 20 degree UQ for an extra hammock of mine instead of buying a new 20 degree wooki. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. I am aware that the primary use of the Sniveller is to used as a topquilt. The hammock I am insulating is an 11 ft Asym DH Sparrow or a Darien.

Images
    A non-invasive method would be to put the quilt gently in between the hammock and a full-length UQ protector. You might need to pin/snap/tape/clip it to the edges to get it to stay put, but that should give you a quick and effective quilt sandwich.

Images
    Do they advertise the Sniveller to be able to be used as an UQ? I haven't seen that. I know it's a multi-use item that can be used as a serape.

The Hudson River, on the other hand, definitely advertises use as either a TQ or UQ. That quilt is rectangular with no taper. The Sniveller is tapered from 52" at shoulders to 42" at the foot end. The taper is going to make it a little less conducive to use as an underquilt.

Aside from all that... JRB doesn't use side channel primary suspensions on their full length UQs. The Hudson River, for example, has tabs at each corner which you can attach end suspension lines to. One line attaches to the 2 corners at the head end, and the other line attaches to the 2 corners at the foot end. You can adjust the tension of the UQ suspension and the position of the UQ by knotting either or both end lines to shorten them as needed. This is the product they sell, but it would be easy to fashion something similar yourself.
    https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...ension-system/

If the Sniveller has a tab at each corner, I think a similar approach to the one described above would work well.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 12-03-2019 at 16:14.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Hi all:

This question is aimed at soliciting opinions on using the JRB Sierra Sniveller as an UQ. This product advertises it can do this job, but am wondering if anyone out there with some good ideas on how to rig it up. I was thinking of using this as a backup 20 degree UQ for an extra hammock of mine instead of buying a new 20 degree wooki. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. I am aware that the primary use of the Sniveller is to used as a topquilt. The hammock I am insulating is an 11 ft Asym DH Sparrow or a Darien.
    Hello! The Sierra Sniveller is not designed to be use as an underquilt. It’s half tapered shape does not allow the quilt to contour to the body properly and it lacks tabs on the foot end to connect the suspension. It is also a bit of a Goldilocks game of getting the perfect tension where it is tight enough to avoid air gaps but not so tight that the head hole opens when the hammock is weighted.

The Hudson River is designed to be used as either a top quilt or underquilt.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Thanks everyone for their input. This is why I love HF. I will try the sandwich / stacking method to extend the range of my 40 degree UQ with the sniveller.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    For the OP: I'd just save my pennies-nickels-n'-dimes and rather than jury-rig solutions just get a 0° or 10° when you can.
    Once you've hit 40°-and-going-down, a decent°/low° will cover all the bases.
    Since heat rises, you can be comfy at way higher temps than the rating, as the UQ is "insulating" rather than "trapping" like a TQ does.

My only two options are a DIY CostcoThrow UQ and my 20°... I ain't nevah gonna be fool enough to be out below 20° again now that I've come down to the Carolina Blue Ridge, so i'm good2go.

Dec 4th and the temp at 3pm was 67°... and I'm at 2900' [1800' above the foot of the mountain]...UNbelievable!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts