WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Talking

Smart move. I can sympathize with you. Last summer I drove about 4 hours and paddled in about 6 miles to a beautiful campsite on an Adirondack lake. I unloaded my gear, had lunch and went about setting up camp. I found a nice spot for my RR and began setting it up. When I got to when the spreader bars were needed, I went to my pack to get them. They were not there, nowhere around camp and not in the canoe. I figured that they were back in the car. It was mid afternoon. I thought about paddling back to get them, but it was too late to make the 12 mile rt paddle. I figured I was better off sleeping in it without the spreader bars or rigging something up. Forget sleeping in it without spreader bars, my RR turned into a venus flytrap and swallowed me up. So I had to rig something up. I thought about using sticks. I went to get my saw and noticed the two telescoping tarp poles I brought along to try out with my tarp. I positioned one at the foot end of the hammock and it fit perfectly! I took out a couple of wire ties and some gorilla tape and was able to securely attach it. I positioned the other pole at the head end, telescoping it to the proper length and secured it in place. I spent three comfortable nights in the hammock. After taking out at the end of the trip and going back to the car, I discovered that the spreader bars were not there. I had, indeed, left them at home.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Yeah, the tactical retreat was a good idea. Live to camp another day. You're down there where the weather can turn on you pretty nasty like with the winds. Even where I grew up in the middle of the state an hour or two north of St. Cloud we didn't get the same wind / snow combinations, and certainly not here in the TC.

This weekend is going to be really warm opportunity to get out. My difficulty is finding a place to park that I won't have my sedan snowed in. Getting a tow is not a item I want to budget time and money for.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    This weekend is going to be really warm opportunity to get out. My difficulty is finding a place to park that I won't have my sedan snowed in. Getting a tow is not a item I want to budget time and money for.
    I always wondered how people get out to some of the places they do. Even with a 4x4 and chains, I worry about getting back with the "seasonal roads" having a ton of fresh snow. There's no getting thru deep stuff if it's just going to bury me up to the frame. Last month I saw 15+ inches coming in one day, so I got out quick. But it would have been cool to stay for most of that storm and not worry about getting out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well....you used logic there. Musta been a bummer all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I always wondered how people get out to some of the places they do. Even with a 4x4 and chains, I worry about getting back with the "seasonal roads" having a ton of fresh snow. There's no getting thru deep stuff if it's just going to bury me up to the frame. Last month I saw 15+ inches coming in one day, so I got out quick. But it would have been cool to stay for most of that storm and not worry about getting out.
    Here in Minnesota, I keep a shovel and these tire cleats in the car. Plus a battery charger and a bag of charcoal and lighter fluid just in case.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well....you used logic there. Musta been a bummer all the same.

Tire Cleats. Great idea!

Here in Minnesota, I keep a shovel and these tire cleats in the car. Plus a battery charger and a bag of charcoal and lighter fluid just in case.
    Shug

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks Shug. I think next time I will throw in the full blown driveway shovel in addition to the backpacking shovel. I never used my chains, but sorta hoping for a reason one of these days!

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You should have gone for it. The glory goes to those with the guts! Booo - Yaahhhhh!! Bad example of a "Midwesterner"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Depending on time of day and hours of daylight remaining, I might have tried to work out the bridge suspension and insulation with no spreader bars.. But emphasis on 'tried'.. I think you did the right thing to bail.. you left with a good lesson learned (double check what you pack) so good memories and maybe a few laughs.. but most important, you have all your fingers and toes.

Hike on!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12