Hammock
    Pares

Has anybody tried rei quarterdome air hammock.

Wondering if anyone has tried the rei quarterdome hammock? Im looking for a bridge hammock that would be good for side sleeping. Also wondering how long the overal length is, most of my hangs are under 12 ft?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Spot View Post
    Wondering if anyone has tried the rei quarterdome hammock? Im looking for a bridge hammock that would be good for side sleeping. Also wondering how long the overal length is, most of my hangs are under 12 ft?
    I think that is the one 509-T203-KG used for a minus 10F test. He might have some opinions for you.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad-in-a-bridge

Hammock
    Pares
    Thanks for the suggestion

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

My friend and I double scored at a REI garage sale and each picked up one of the REI Quarterdomes. I've only slept in it once. I'm only 5'6" so it was plenty long for me. It was only my 2nd time sleeping in a bridge style hammock. I preferred this one to the Ridgerunner and really liked how much space I had in my foot area. I felt a slight shoulder squeeze. I don't side sleep, but think you'd do really well as a side sleeper in one. Plus, the nice thing is if you buy it new you can return it within a year if you don't like it. I love the return policy!

I shot some video of this hammock. You are reminding me that I need to get that up on youtube.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

Has anybody tried rei quarterdome air hammock.

I’ve slept 30+ nights in one. Mostly on a 25” wide air pad, 3-4 with an underquilt. I have learned to consistently side sleep comfortably in it. I use a fixed ridgeline to set the overall length at 12’ 3.5”, I don’t think it could get much shorter.

Pros:
    Well made, durable, comes with everything you need (hammock, suspension, tarp, tie-outs, stakes) affordable, REI return policy.

Cons:
    Minimal storage, bug net not as versatile as some, can’t use ridgeline with bug net deployed, no way to keep pad in place.

Other hammocks I’d like to try that are supposed to be good for side sleeping:

Warbonnet Ridgerunner, Towns End Luxury Bridge, Amok Draumr, Treem...

The 23rd post in this thread has some info:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I have one and have used it several nights. Using it with a pad it can slide around some. I have an underquilt for it too, but that is probably good only down to maybe 35 or 40 degrees. It seems plenty comfortable. The tarp that comes with it is a little on the small side. With the stock suspension, the spreader bars aren't removable, but you can replace it with amsteel dogbones which will allow you to remove the spreader bars when packing it up. There is a post on the forum somewhere that I saw with pictures of that.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    This is my review for the original Quarter Dome Air Hammock:

Excellent beginners bridge hammock
    Over the weekend I had my first chance to take out the REI Quarter Dome Air bridge hammock (original version) and see how it performs. Overall it's a nice all-in-one system from a well-known vendor so it's not a bad choice for the timid newbie to dip their toes into hammock camping.

TARP Let's start with the tarp. There's much to like about it. It's very lightweight and provides sufficient coverage. There are two ridgelines that are attached to the tarp's ridgeline and have velcro to help with line organization and make it very unlikely that your lines will tangle. There is a small aluminum clip attached to the end which makes attaching to a tree extremely simple. It also makes it a breeze to raise and lower the tarp. Tension is applied using a LineLoc 3 type of connector.

There are 4 other guy lines with similar LineLoc 4 type connectors. Each line has a loop already made to go over the stakes (4 stakes provided, with pull strings), along with the velcro organizers. All the lines are reflective. The only issue I noticed was that the LineLoc 3 type of connectors felt cheap and the lines didn't feed as easily as with other systems I've used. I'm not sure if this is because of the connector or the lines. Easy to adjust from under the tarp.

The tarp almost covers the hammock suspension lines but is a several inches too small for that. There are water breaks attached to all 4 lines so water that comes down the suspension is unlikely to get in your hammock but your lines will get wet.

The original tarp is 15D and the new one is 30D. Stronger is generally better but it does add a slight weight penalty and I don't see the need for the heavier fabric because the 15D seemed sturdy enough to me.

I hung the tarp as close to the hammock as I could get to see how much coverage there was. It was about 6" above the hammock ridgeline and extended outside the hammock 6-8" and came down to the hammock so when I was hanging I could see out through a 6" gap.

This will provide sufficient coverage but if you want other stuff like your backpack to be dry it must be directly under the tarp and if the wind is blowing it will get wet. No way to get this tarp anywhere near the ground. My only wish was the tarp was about a foot longer and a couple of feet wider on each side but I like a lot of coverage.

HAMMOCK SUSPENSION The hammock suspension uses essentially a whoopie sling. It has a tab showing which direction you need to pull to loosen and it's obvious how to tighten. This works very well but like any whoopie sling, you need to make sure the burry is milked properly (I didn't the first time and experienced some slippage but when I properly milked the burry it was fine for the rest of the night. User error). The suspension line is reflective which is nice. It's attached to tree straps by sewing into the end of the strap so you can't switch out the tree strap for longer ones which is disappointing. The major issue I had with the straps was they are fine for small trees but if you have medium or larger trees you'll have a problem. They should have made these at least 2' longer.

The "whoopie" connects to the hammock suspension using reasonably lightweight carabiners. The hammock suspension is fixed and has a LineLoc 3 type of connector for the bugnet which makes deploying the bugnet trivial.

BUGNET The bugnet is easy to get into and out of and can be opened from inside and out. Unfortunately, when using the bugnet the outside mesh storage pocket is unreachable. If you flip the hammock over to not use the bugnet, the inside 2 mesh storage pockets become unavailable.

HAMMOCK The hammock is made from sturdy but lightweight fabric and seems durable for first-time users. It should be plenty long enough for most people but it's not wide enough to prevent shoulder squeeze. For comparison, the long pole of the RidgeRunner is 6" longer. I tried to use a Klymit pad (23") to help with the squeeze but it didn't provide much help. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't squeezing me like an Anaconda but having gotten used to the room in other bridge hammocks, it was a slight disappointment in an otherwise nice bridge hammock.

The 2 mesh storage pockets were sufficient for my essentials but don't compare to the ridiculous amount of storage you get in saddlebags.

This was a surprisingly stable hammock. I suffered no tipping which I've experienced in other bridges but that may be more of a function of setting the hang angle correctly. It also didn't swing much but that may be because of how close I hung the tarp.

OVERALL I like it. I think there are better options out there in cottage vendors and DIY but it's a solid contender for a first-time user. And with the REI guarantee, it's a no-brainer for seeing if hammocking is your thing.

If I could make a suggestion to REI it would be to lengthen the tree straps by 2', widen the suspension bar by 6", and make the tarp a 1' longer and 2' wider on each side and this would be an outstanding hammock setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Aquaquest Defender
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling
    I bought one and returned it because the zipper snagged and ripped out on me the first night in it. I ended up with a Ridge-Runner and never looked back.

• + New Posts