diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh

New pad....testing

Greetings all.....I got my pad the other day and tried it this afternoon. It's a Klymit Static V. I normally have been using my DIY UQ and occasionally supplemented with a small pad but I decided I'd like to try an inflatable one and the Klymit Static V is wide, which I like. Now, I just tested it and have not used it over night but in the past, I've never had an issue with puddles of water some folks have experienced. And that was with a foam pad. But it seems from what I've read, the problem pad deniers have is only issues with moisture build up. Well, I'm going to say the biggest issue I see further down the road is inflating and deflating the darn thing! It took a little bit of air to inflate and then deflating was like what you'd imagine wrestling an inflatable pad would be like. But, boy it was comfortable laying on. I'm not giving up yet!
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Images
    Interesting! Let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    The Klymit pad has a Thermarest-style inflating nozzle. Here's a link to a nice DIY inflator. I use it on my pads, it's quick and easy to make, lasts a good while (2 seasons so far) and it makes blowing up the pad a breeze. No huffing and puffing, just 2 or 3 bags of air and you're done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW_b-sdGRc

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    The Klymit pad has a Thermarest-style inflating nozzle. Here's a link to a nice DIY inflator. I use it on my pads, it's quick and easy to make, lasts a good while (2 seasons so far) and it makes blowing up the pad a breeze. No huffing and puffing, just 2 or 3 bags of air and you're done.

I got an insulated static V for occasional ground camping They have switched to a weird flip valve

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post

Thanks for posting. I’ve been using the inflation bag that came with my Therm-a-Rest, but this seems lighter/faster/easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    I got an insulated static V for occasional ground camping They have switched to a weird flip valve
    yes, that's the valve. I reckon we'll have to mod the bag inflater. Wonder in the bag valve adapter would "pull" the air out?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    OK. Time to share my thoughts on the new pad. First off, this is my first inflatable type of pad. I've only used foam (Gossamer Gear 1/4") and I haven't used it very much. Normally I use a DIY UQ. That being said, here are my thoughts.
    -- It's heavier than the GG foam pad and my UQ
    -- It takes longer to set up. After getting it out of the bag, I unroll it in the hammock. It likes to fight you while you are laying it out and inflating, especially if there is any breeze. Maybe after using it several times and getting the hang of it I can deploy it faster.
    -- Inflating isn't really all that bad. I haven't counted how many breaths...20 deep ones maybe? I've notice if it's not completely unfolded, you are going to have to add little bit more breaths because of the resistance. Also, if the inflater is up against the inside back of the pad, it will cause resistance when inflating.
    -- I find it very comfortable laying in. I didn't feel the dreaded "calf ridge" I get with my UQ.
    -- I didn't have any problems positioning it as I get in the hammock.
    -- Deflating is a bit of a chore. I flip the valve over to let the air out while I'm still in the hammock.
    -- I'm not comfortable with laying the pad on the ground to squeeze the rest of the air out, so I keep it in the hammock while folding it and roll the remaining air out. This is a bit of a chore.
    -- Rolling it up and fitting it back in its small bag is not a problem.

OK, now for using it over night. Temps were going to be around 32 the night I set up so I thought this would be perfect for testing. I'm not sure how low they rate it
    -- I found it to be very comfortable. My shoulders, arms, legs and back were nice and warm but I was getting a cold butt. I didn't have the pad inflated rock hard so I don't know if having it a little soft caused my weight to compress the pad and put my butt "on" the hammock. I didn't try to add more air, I just grabbed the foam pad I had in the pack and put that under me.
    -- I slept great. I got up to take a leak a few times. I had no problems getting back into the hammock even with the extra pad.

Conclusion. I like the pad but it really takes way too much time to set up and put away. Would I take it with me on a real camping trip? Only if I knew I was ground camping. I'm going to test it more to see if I can get rid of the CBS without adding the GG pad. Like I mentioned, it really feels nice laying on it in the hammock.

--

Images
    Thanks for posting those results! I'm curious if inflating more, to maybe get rid of that cold but, will maybe also decrease the comfort any? Sounds like your comfort level is fine, maybe even improved in some ways. If more inflation does not help or makes it uncomfortable, then a small square of CCF pad won't weigh much and would serve double duty as a sit pad.

I also sort of lean towards blow up pads these days in my 90º Hammock Tent or even in my bridge hammocks. But like you, for me the biggest drawback is the hassle of both inflation and deflation. I'm not sure how big of an issue that would be on a backpacking trip, where normally I have plenty of time to deal with all of that. If I save 5 minutes on set up(hanging a JRB Greylock is so much quicker and easier than blowing up/deflating,rolling up a pad), that just gives me 5 more minutes to sit around camp on a long winter night. I would probably notice it more on take down the next morning if I was in a rush to hit the trail. But I am usually not.

CCF pads avoid all of that, plus no worries about puncture or blown baffles when you are 15 miles and a high mountain pass or two from your car. But, so much bulk, and not near as comfy for on the ground in case I desire to- and sometimes I do- or am forced to, sleep above timberline. Which would be the #1 reason I would choose a pad over an UQ in the first place, ground use. And I would like as much comfort as possible there, even if not equal to a hammock. So that is my concern with CCF pads. Though they are not bad at all- comfort wise- for me in the right hammock. And I have been toasty warm a tiny bit below 20F on top of a 1" thick torso sized TR self inflater stacked on a full length TR Ridge Rest classic. I for sure could have gone lower. How much I do not know.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm not sure how big of an issue that would be on a backpacking trip, where normally I have plenty of time to deal with all of that. If I save 5 minutes on set up(hanging a JRB Greylock is so much quicker and easier than blowing up/deflating,rolling up a pad), that just gives me 5 more minutes to sit around camp on a long winter night. I would probably notice it more on take down the next morning if I was in a rush to hit the trail. But I am usually not.
    BillyBob....good point. I hadn't thought about it that way..... What's the big rush? So true. Thanks for opening my eyes.

• + New Posts