Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

2nd Quilt Done

Finished the second quilt for my Dad who is strictly a ground dweller (for now). He liked the idea of being able to open the quilt up in warmer weather so I went with a cinched/zipper footbox. I also put shock-cord in the edges instead of pad attachment D-rings (is there a term for it?). I really like how it seals the quilt underneath you and I will probably modify my quilt with it.

Specs:
    20 degree rated
    55" wide with bottom 1/3 tapered to 40" X 80" long
    Dark olive Argon 90 outer, Black Ion inside
    13 baffles with 2.5" loft about similar over stuffed
    Cinched/Zipper Footbox with pillow plug
    Finished Weight 30oz with stuff sack

IMG_20191130_151422.jpg IMG_20191130_151914.jpg IMG_20191130_151718.jpg IMG_20191130_152608.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Comparison to Climashield

Here is a comparison between an UP Quilt and climashield quilt.

LEFT: 6oz climashiled (50"X 72" Cinch/Snap foot box)
    RIGHT: UP quilt larger (55"X 80")

Both ~30oz and in properly sized silpoly stuffsacks.

IMG_20191130_153421.jpg

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Very nice, I need to find a new sewing machine On craigslist. Mine took a dump. You have re inspired me, Thank You

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    Very nice, I need to find a new sewing machine On craigslist. Mine took a dump. You have re inspired me, Thank You
    Good luck, hope you can find something. I hope you post your projects to inspire others. It seems like DIY is becoming uncommon; I originally joined HF because I was getting into DIY great and you had to be a member to view pictures.

hey those look brilliant! i'm very interested in this UP.. how easy is it to stuff? any risk of clumping or other hassle? the climashield comparism is huge, appreciate all the photos 👍

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Even gorgeous-er!! Kudos for superb skill and craftsmanship!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroporter View Post
    hey those look brilliant! i'm very interested in this UP.. how easy is it to stuff? any risk of clumping or other hassle? the climashield comparism is huge, appreciate all the photos
    The UP insulation really does act like down. It does clump a bit from being compressed in the bags for shipping. After some minor coaxing and a tumble in the dryer (no heat) with some tennis balls it fills the chambers and then stays put. It doesn't migrate much if at all, so once it's in place it stays even when the quilt is compressed multiple times. It was super easy to stuff, no shop vac or blower reassured. I measured and stuffed it in the kitchen (don't try that with down!).

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice job, and very helpful descriptions and photos. I have surmised that "Up" might be the equivalent of loose Primaloft (or even the same as - I haven't asked Dutch). If so, the fibers are probably very small and possibly prone to sticking through uncalendered fabrics, as down is said to do. Your choices of Argon 90 and Ion are therefore very good. Have you seen any inclination of "Up" to leak through seams or plain fabric? I've just bought some "Up" to supplement a layer of Climashield Apex quilted to the bottom layer of an insulated hammock, and I hope that it lofts to fill the available space at the way down does. I'm glad to hear that it's easy to work with. Can you share any details about measuring the amount for each chamber of your quilt?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Nice job, and very helpful descriptions and photos. I have surmised that "Up" might be the equivalent of loose Primaloft (or even the same as - I haven't asked Dutch). If so, the fibers are probably very small and possibly prone to sticking through uncalendered fabrics, as down is said to do. Your choices of Argon 90 and Ion are therefore very good. Have you seen any inclination of "Up" to leak through seams or plain fabric? I've just bought some "Up" to supplement a layer of Climashield Apex quilted to the bottom layer of an insulated hammock, and I hope that it lofts to fill the available space at the way down does. I'm glad to hear that it's easy to work with. Can you share any details about measuring the amount for each chamber of your quilt?
    I emailed Dutch about the need for calendared/downproof fabric and they said it isn't needed. I used argon 90 more for the improved wind and moisture protection and Ion for the price and soft feel.

UP's loft is equivalent to 625 fill power down (according to Dutch's site) which I think is accurate. To get the amount I used the underquilt calculator to find the volume to fill ratio, then applied it to the volume of each chamber. I've found the calculator to be on the lean side so I did a roughly 10% over fill which came out just right I'm my opinion.

To measure it I put the bag of fill on a scale and zeroed it, then picked from the bag until it read the amount I needed (ignoreing the negative sign).
    Last edited by jabraso; 12-01-2019 at 18:15.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Those are some great looking quilts. The UP looks like a nice down alternative. I love the idea of a synthetic that flows and moves like down.

Let us know how it goes in the colder temps.

It is true that the DIY posts here have decreased dramatically over the last few years. Maybe it ebbs and flows, but a lot of the great contributors of the past don't seem to come around much these days.

Thanks for sharing these projects.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast