Hi. New member. Just a little about myself. Questions.

My name is Noel I live in Banning, Ca about 20 minutes west of Palm Springs. I'm on the precipice of 60 years old, under-employed with a worn out back. I'm 6'1" and come in at 200 lbs. I haven't camped in 15 years, but have a bucket list adventure planned for next summer June 2020 with a childhood friend, riding our ageing Adventure motorcycles to Alaska- where my daughters family lives in Kenai. (I've driven there once (5 years ago) and lived in Anchorage for a year as a 20 year old.) Because of space limitations and my back issues, sleeping on the ground sounds a bit scary for an 18-21 day one way sight-seeing trip (selling our bikes there and flying home). It was scary to think about until I started reading about hammocks and the space 'and comfort possibilities' they offer. That's why I've joined up to this forum. So about me? I'm a non-commercial bee keeper- 30 hives (I thought my wife was spending too much on honey and thought- 'hey I can do that on the cheap and save money buying honey' and started raising bees Bwa-hahahahahaha). With well over 100 stings my first year I.... oh that's another story. All that and I also raise about 40 varieties of fig trees for fun and dabble in aqua-ponic gardening and would go back to raising dairy goats, rabbits and chickens if I had the room. Back in the day, I was pretty much a 'campground' 3- room tent camper with the family-(5 kids and their friends too) , so everything including the kitchen sink usually got tossed into the back of the Ford station wagon after work (and of course always after dark- not including whatever could be lassoed onto the roof of the car) But alas I can't do that easily on a motorcycle. My comfort is a real issue. After running several 2nd hand stores (some successful, and um.. some not) I can longer stand on my feet for hours on hours, but can ride a motorcycle with plenteous stretch stops. So about the budget. I'm without a job and my lovely bride of 33 years who is a nurse at our local hospital is the one keeping us afloat and still hosting 2 of 5 kids (a couple of college kids still at home) this has left my wife and I in extreme budget mode, so all that personal stuff just to say, my personal purchases now are scrutinized with a fine toothed comb- being bald, there's no room to comb-over or hide any purchases from her-lol. Anyhow... with all that exhaustive prerequisite introduction stuff safely bivied away, I'm on the hunt for an entry level, budget minded, hammock set-up for that June ride to Alaska. I plan a couple of colder weather 'over-niters' before hand to learn the ropes or cords or... etc. So a good net to keep out the winged alligators is mandatory, as well as I'd imagine a top and bottom quilt (btw Could I make these myself out of old down sleeping bags?) and was thinking of packing a twin sized down quilt for bedding. I know this is all sounding pretty hokey (I'm a redneck at heart). But this is where red-neck and hokey really come together, I've been looking at hammock combo's on (gasp) AMAZON! I saw an "Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer 118" x 79" that looked interesting. (Edited)What are your thoughts on that model or similar? Or go off the 'Al le Carte' menu?) I would say my entire hammock budget is going to be in the neighborhood of $200. Again, maybe I could 'Gerri-rig' a top and bottom quilt (I can only hand stitch). Any suggestions for a Amazon purchase? Again I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. with a busted back. Is any of this doable or am I dreaming here? Reading your posts, you guys seem like really nice quality group of people who wouldn't mind lending a redneck some advice. I'll probably read a few of your idea's before responding- but I am reading them ALL!. Thanks to any and all in advance. All blessings to you. Noel. oh..BTW my handle "butdusty" is in reference to Psalm 103:14 when David talking of Moses he said that men are 'but dust'.
    Last edited by Butdusty; 11-27-2019 at 13:08.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Welcome! You could probably just get away with using a regular sleeping bag if you're going in June. Yeah, its compressed when you're laying in it, but I can't imagine it still won't provide some warmth. Tarps, get a regular ole blue tarp for cheap. Daisy chain straps and carabiners aren't too expensive. For the hammock, you can get a netless for really cheap compared to a netted and add a fronkey style bugnet.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Welcome! You could probably just get away with using a regular sleeping bag if you're going in June. Yeah, its compressed when you're laying in it, but I can't imagine it still won't provide some warmth. Tarps, get a regular ole blue tarp for cheap. Daisy chain straps and carabiners aren't too expensive. For the hammock, you can get a netless for really cheap compared to a netted and add a fronkey style bugnet.
    As to the Fronkey bug net, that’s a pretty easy DIY with no-see-um netting from Dutchwaregear.com ...you can find YouTube videos showing how to sew it. Also, picking up used gear here on the For Sale forum or listing what you want in the Want To Buy forum is an idea. You might be able to snag a used Fronkey net for less than the cost of the materials!

As to relying only on a sleeping bag for underneath insulation, I wouldn’t. Yes, you’re traveling in June, but to ALASKA—I’m thinking you could still see some pretty chilly nights! I’d at least grab up a CCF pad to keep rolled up, strapped to the back of your bike for just in case. That way you have insulation in your hammock OR if you have to go to ground for lack of adequate trees. Wal-Mart sells some cheap but adequate CCF pads.

Sounds like an awesome adventure you have planned!!! Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Butdusty View Post
    I'm 6'1" and come in at 200 lbs...I'm on the hunt for an entry level, budget minded, hammock set-up for that June ride to Alaska.
    Hi Butdusty,

At your height, most of the Amazon stuff is going to be too short. 11-foot long is what you need, and that's 11 feet of FABRIC, not counting the suspension length as some do on that site. In inches that would be 132 inches. 118 inches is less than 10 feet and much too short for a comfortable sleep, in my biased opinion. If you're buying a hammock on Amazon, CAREFULLY look at the fabric length and make sure they're not cheating by listing the carabiners or suspension included in that length. For comparison, I'm only 5'9" and I like my 11 foot hammock. I've tried a 10-footer and it was doable, but I prefer the 11 foot and I think you would as well.

Spend some time searching here on the forums with search terms like "budget hammock" "budget suspension" and so forth. You can make your own straps out of tie-down straps bought at Home Depot or similar. Cut off the heavy hooks and tie a quick loop in one end. Or you can buy 25 feet of poly webbing from one of the vendors here, cut it in half and do the same thing. That'll be about your least expensive suspension. You'll need loops on the hammock to attach the webbing to. I make my own out of Amsteel, or you can buy an 8 inch loop from a vendor like RipStop by the Roll:https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...pliced-cordage
    You could get fancy with a whoopie sling if your budget allows, but there's a learning curve with those. I like and use whoopies sometimes, but have lately simplified by just tying a becket hitch to the loop on the hammock using the webbing.

Insulation top and bottom could indeed be made from an old sleeping bag or two. In summer here in Georgia I've used poncho liners, which are cheap at surplus stores. Search YouTube for a large number of videos on how to turn a sleeping bag into an underquilt or top quilt. There are also threads on here that can show you the same thing; just takes some diligent searching. I spent my first two years using a sleeping bag and a $10 CCF blue mat from Walmart to stay warm.

I'd suggest also looking at Derek Hansen's website for tips and making your own gear: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
    His book is also very good, but there's plenty to read on the website as well.

Take a look at Just Jeff's page, especially his homemade gear tab: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.php
    His instructions are excellent on making a hammock out of a piece of rectangular fabric by simply whipping the ends. He's also got a lot of solid info on using a hammock: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.php

For weather protection, you'll need a tarp of some sort. Cheapest would be a blue poly tarp from Walmart. It's heavy but if you're on a motorcycle, I don't think weight is your primary concern.

For bug protection, I've used a simple headnet, less than $5 in the camping section at Walmart. It keeps the bugs off your face while the rest of you is covered by your sleeping bag. Any other solution is going to be more expensive.

Probably the lowest cost for the highest quality for the hammock itself will be to make your own. If you whip the ends, you won't even have to sew it. I'll note that RipStop by the Roll has both 1.9 and 1.6 fabrics on sale right now. Get 4 yards (12 feet) and you'll be good to go. The 1.9 is $3.61 a yard, so that would be $14.44 plus shipping. You'd have to DIY it, but it beats anything on Amazon that I know of.

Finally, I'll give you a link to a video I made four years ago that might be relevant. If it's not relevant, maybe it'll be entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTaLjN9qZE

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Wow! Thank you so much for your very thoughtful reply, as well as the replies of others- thanks to you as well. I don't have the terminology down on some of the things you mentioned (is there a glossary LOL?) but as far as purchasing the fabric and other things goes, it sounds well worth doing the research, but am I correct that 1.9 is strongest rip-stop and the best worth using? And that if I went in that direction that 4 yards would suffice? I will definitely check it out yours and the suggestions of others as well. What a blessing. Thanks!

I'd go the DIY route. You might score some points with the Mrs by making it yourself. You can make two whoopie slings with a single 25 foot section of Amsteel. Dutchware had it on sale for $4.80. Regular just north of $5 bucks. You can make 2 continuous loops and a ridgeline with a second 25 foot section of Amsteel. And if you have access to a sewing machine you're gold making your own gear. A plethora of information here about that. Also the Ultimate Hang book by Derek Hanson is very helpful. Best of luck to you on your adventure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that! Happy Thanksgiving

• + New Posts