Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB

Wookie overfill?

Opinions please? From many posts I've read that 1-2 oz of overfill is good to keep insulation from shifting. So would this be a good idea for a 0F wookie? Or just purchase one without the overfill? thanks. PS this will be my 3rd try at a different hammock. The RR is to narrow for my tossing (wife and daughter like it for napping) Tried Chameleon but it was also a bit narrow for me on the diagonal. Bought a used XLC and I think the extra width feels better. Crossing fingers, thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I sleep neither hot nor cold and have found that the 0° Wooki without overfill works perfectly fine in terms of its down staying in place. Full disclosure: when the temps dip below 0°, I stack another Wooki (20°) to ensure staying cozy. So on the one hand, I didn't feel the need for overfill, but on the other I did buy two Wooki UQs...um, actually three since I also have a 40° Wooki for indoor use. Who needs overfill when you have all the Wookis?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sleep extremely cold and prefer overfill. I have had Wookis without overfill and with overfill. Obviously, the Wooki works without overfill, but you need to pay more attention to the distribution of the down i.e. shake it out before you hang it. It will also deflate a bit sooner in humid conditions. I'm a full-time hanger and use a Wooki under my everynight hammock. Without overfill the down migrated to the lowest point noticeably sooner, even with the underquilt not being taken down and packed up.

I'd say if you are a normal or even warm sleeper, and don't hang in humid conditions for days on end without the possibility to dry out the quilt properly, you'll be fine without overfill. If you sleep cold and want the quilt to stand up longer to humid weather, go for overfill.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a 0º with no overfill. It seems plenty good.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Thanks Shug, sending out the thanks also for your many ideas on hammocking. If you don't mind off topic question, when using a sleeping bag as a topquilt, (not pea pod) do you zip it fully closed to keep warm air in?
    OR use it as a quilt and your body heat also warms up the UQ?
    I was wondering about that? Does the UQ need body heat to reflect back? tried googling it but to no avail. others with experience I'd appreciate your input. happy thanksgiving all! Big winds here in the NYC area, macy's balloons probably wont be flying because it's above the safety wind gusts at 31 mph.. predicted gusts up to 50mph. be safe all.
    you can message me separetly if that works.
    Last edited by coldfeet; 11-27-2019 at 10:21. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm interested to hear what a MiniSodan like Shug says, but I expect the answer is still no to zipping up a bag. I could see some value to cutting any sort of draft in really cold weather, but I still think the overlap between UQ and draped bag should be sufficient.

Yes, the UQ insulates by trapping air, and specifically warm air. That's an important distinction because the higher the temp in the bag, the more efficient it is in transporting your body moisture. Plus, you get a physiological effect in terms of how you feel and how it relaxes your body's cold response, which makes it more efficient for your body to regulate its heat output through the night. I think the terminology of "reflect the heat back" is technically incorrect, but I do think you're thinking correctly about what's going on.

And assuming you named yourself coldfeet for a reason, I'll just say that I've had great success using a down pillow to rest my feet on. Its been better than booties.

And regarding wind, if you're using a sock you probably don't need overfill. Otherwise I'd say overfill is worth it, even if using an UQP.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Thanks dakotaross, glad you were able to understand my thought process which is a mess most of the time.
    coldfeet it is! had to find a name that i could remember when winter hiking NE areas. BUT it seems my good will towards all has now earned me a new name in these parts as "Knish". Yep, food is good and always has others lending me a hand or helping explain this new hobby. Few years ago I joined the canvas hot tenters lugging around a 9ft pulk.
    2 years ago I finally paddled the BWCA and put in in ELY. who knows, I might have eaten in a pub next to Shug in those days.
    Don't think the lack friday sale is on with custom down added, but i'm sure the 0f will do, maybe a warm knish in my sleeping bag will be the answer! best to all

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    PS, love your Kate Chopin quote

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Thanks Shug, sending out the thanks also for your many ideas on hammocking. If you don't mind off topic question, when using a sleeping bag as a topquilt, (not pea pod) do you zip it fully closed to keep warm air in?
    OR use it as a quilt and your body heat also warms up the UQ?
    I was wondering about that? Does the UQ need body heat to reflect back? tried googling it but to no avail. others with experience I'd appreciate your input. happy thanksgiving all! Big winds here in the NYC area, macy's balloons probably wont be flying because it's above the safety wind gusts at 31 mph.. predicted gusts up to 50mph. be safe all.
    you can message me separetly if that works.
    I do use the bag in quilt mode.
    The down in a UQ does not reflect back but instead captures the heat your body has to put out.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast