Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    If you don't mind off topic question, when using a sleeping bag as a topquilt, (not pea pod) do you zip it fully closed to keep warm air in?
    OR use it as a quilt and your body heat also warms up the UQ?
    I use my semi-rec sleeping bags both ways, depending on my needs. 90% of the time I'm in top quilt mode. But there are nights when I have problems getting and keeping warm. This might be because of weather (low temperatures, draft / wind, high humidity) or because of physical issues (exhaustion, illness) - or both. This is when I really appreciate the option to zip up. It definitely improves warmth retention, although I can't tell you why for sure. I think it's a combination of factors. With the zipper closed, there are no gaps whatsoever through which heat can escape. Maybe the volume of air is smaller as well, because I can tuck the fabric around myself more aggressively without gaps opening up accidentally. It also eliminates micro air bubbles between my body and the underquilt. Even with a well fitting underquilt like the Wooki, small air bubbles remain. If you hang it under a see-through hammock you can clearly see them. Most people generate enough body heat to not feel them. I usually do as well, but sometimes my internal furnace is a bit sluggish. That's when each bubble sucks away the little body heat I have. Putting a insulation between my body and the hammock brings immediate relieve. Even though it's compressed somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I was wondering about that? Does the UQ need body heat to reflect back? tried googling it but to no avail. others with experience I'd appreciate your input.
    The underquilt doesn't reflect heat. It just slows the heat transfer by inhibiting convection. I have used my quilts to keep frozen foods cold for longer in summer. It works both ways. So yes, if you want to be warm you need body heat in the first place. You just need to generate less than you would if you wanted to keep warm without an underquilt.

I had been planning on getting a couple ounces of overfill in my new (Lynx) underquilt, but for the sake of 25% off in the sale, I'll do without. It's interesting to hear people's opinions on overfill in underquilts.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Thanks for info folks. Now it’s back to me wanting the -20F Scandinavian vs the 0F UQ.
    Friend has the -20 and uses it often. I thought about stacking quilts and it takes up to much room in pack but has other advantages. Seems like I always buy something that’s a bit more than I need so why stop now?
    Thanks, happy thanksgiving.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12