My (potential) Kids Setup!

Hey everyone,

I am new to the hammock camping world and have my first hammock on order form Dream Hammocks (can't wait!). Our family loves car camping and getting outdoors, and I want the kiddos to have their own hammock setup as well. Below is what I'm considering as budget-friendly options to get us all 'hanging. We live in Alabama and the coldest we'd be out in would be the low-mid 30's. I'd like each kid to have their own hammock, weather appropriate sleeping gear, and tarp. If this proves to be something that we're all doing more regularly, then I would replace the economy gear with better stuff as necessary over time. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts or comments - thank you!

ps - I attached this as a .pdf, if there is a better, more appropriate way, please let me know!

Kids Hammock Gear.pdf

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Great job on getting your children out and camping in hammocks. My oldest (almost 13) has been hammock camping for about 5 years and I have recently started my youngest (8) camping in hammocks. Neither wants to ever go back to a tent!

40* UQ for expected lows in the low-mid 30's may be pushing it for the children, especially since most mass-produced UQ use "survival" temp rating rather than "comfortable" temp rating. Also, you will hear a lot of people using the "10* buffer rule" for insulation, meaning your insulation should be good to 10* below your expected low. When car-camping, I would suggest to take additional blankets, etc when you are expecting lows in the 30's.

@gfstanley thank you for that input! That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for - Sounds like I should be aiming for 20* UQ for the kiddos - haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but probably will in Friday ( am hoping I can get a few deals ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts