Hi everyone, I'm sharing this trip less for the hammocking as for the unusual weather and conditions we experienced overnight Saturday Nov 15. They produced some astonishingly beautiful scenes early Sunday morning. I thought some might like to see them. Check out the video segment about half way through the attachment.

https://youtu.be/DXbQ0aJhaT4

Pictures below is what I mean about beautiful scenes.
600_486942518.jpg

600_486942515.jpg

I am part of a Meetup backpacking group called Virginia Backpacking Premium. These are hardcore folks who always come rain or shine to trips. They've become close friends over the years, people you look forward to seeing and are confident you are in safe company back out in the mountains.

This trip we hiked in about 8 miles on Saturday along the AT to the Seeley shelter. You can see from the video conditions were pretty nice. Temps in the low 40's with the Saturday night forecast for lows in the upper 20's. We had talked the week before about gear and everyone was prepared for the upper 20's with a bit to spare. That was fortunate.

By dark Saturday a cold front had begun coming through the area and temps had dropped to 20 degrees by 7 PM with winds averaging about 20 mph. No one saw this coming. I certainly didn't. By midnight temps had dropped to about 15 with wind continuing. Fortunately the cold front passed later in the night and temps warmed up a bit. At the coldest, wind chill was in the low single digits which is pretty cold for me.

I'd taken extra clothing, got down to one more fleece to use but had three pair of socks, two base layers, a fleece, windbreaker and pants and light weight down parka on in the hammock. I had planned on doubling up my underquilts using a 40 degree between the hammock and my 20 degree and underquilt protector. Although I hung my tarp real low, the wind still blew underneath and I would had been chilled if I hadn't remembered to try out my Crazy Creek camp chair beneath my legs (Thanks for the idea Shug).

Others in my group had heated water bottles in addition to putting on their hiking clothes to sleep in. Everyone managed but it wasn't what we had anticipated.

But it was a good lesson learned. We weren't in serious danger. Everyone had shelter. The worst outcome would have been an uncomfortable night. But wouldn't have been fun if everything hadn't worked out ideally. I will continue to check weather forecasts carefully although this time the cold front was a surprise. And I'll continue planning my gear to one more layer not used. I don't like to have everything on when I hang. Always like to have at least one more item that doesn't get used as an insurance policy. For example, I went back into the house Saturday morning as I was leaving after realizing the wind was blowing a bit and got heavier fleeces and a really big stocking hat. Both helped Saturday night. I should have added a lightweight down blanket to my pack. Had it in my hand Saturday morning as I was getting the heavier fleece and put it back to save weight. Would have been nice to have it with me to use within my 20 degree top quilt.