Thread: Whoopie length

Whoopie length

What length whoopies and tree straps would u recommend to use with a ridgerunner , or I guess what is a good standard length trees strap and whoopie slings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeeperrn; 11-25-2019 at 23:39.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That really depends on your preferences and the tree distances. The standard whoopie sling length is 6' and I wouldn't make them any longer. I also don't know if it makes sense to make them a lot shorter. Personally, I think the RR and whoopie slings are not a good fit unless you often have trees very far apart. The RR already needs a lot of space, and whoopies need another 3-4' more than e.g. a cinch buckle suspension. I did use whoopie slings on my 10' GE hammock for about half a year. During that time I only had 2 or 3 instances where I had to use close to the full length of my suspension (8' whoopie slings and 8' tree huggers), but I often had to bypass the whoopie slings because the distance was too short (maybe 11.5'). That's why I switched back to cinch buckles eventually.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Pretty much useless past 8-10 feet. I made a set of 20ft whoopies and they are a total waste. I'm cutting them down to 10ft though so they're actually useful. I'll use the extra cordage for other projects.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    I also went back to my Warbonnet cinch buckle straps. The system is just easier for me..less parts means less hassle.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    So if I understand this correctly, whoopies are better for short distances between trees? My plan is to get them on a Darien and have cinch buckles for back up. I usually try to hang 12-15 feet.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    So if I understand this correctly, whoopies are better for short distances between trees?
    No, they suck at short distances. With a cinch buckle suspension you can adjust the buckle right up to the tree.

My plan is to get them on a Darien and have cinch buckles for back up. I usually try to hang 12-15 feet.
    If the whoopies are attached directly to the hammock, you would still need more distance than with a cinch buckle suspension. If you are using continuous loops or Evo loops on the hammock, and are attaching the whoopies to those, you can skip the whoopies when the trees are too close together.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    No, they suck at short distances. With a cinch buckle suspension you can adjust the buckle right up to the tree.

If the whoopies are attached directly to the hammock, you would still need more distance than with a cinch buckle suspension. If you are using continuous loops or Evo loops on the hammock, and are attaching the whoopies to those, you can skip the whoopies when the trees are too close together.
    So when I order my hammock, will they come seperately or do I tell him I want continuous loops and whoopies seperately? It asks which suspension I want when I order the hammock, do I say "continuous loops" and then add whoopies in a seperate order?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So when I order my hammock, will they come seperately or do I tell him I want continuous loops and whoopies seperately? It asks which suspension I want when I order the hammock, do I say "continuous loops" and then add whoopies in a seperate order?
    I assume you're referring to Dream Hammock. You could order the hammock with continuous loops and add separate whoopie slings. But you would still have to figure out how to attach the whoopie slings to the continuous loops. You can larkshead them onto the loops, but once weighted it will be difficult to detach them. There a many options - some require hardware, some knots. Some can be added aftermarket, some have to be spliced into the continuous loops or whoopie slings. It depends on what you want.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I used whoopie slings for a while and they are still my backup suspension. My loaner hammock uses them mainly because I have them and i'm too cheap to buy another suspension system for somebody else to use

I use six foot by two inch tree straps with loops sewn into the ends that I put soft shackles through. The soft shackle connects to the loop on the whoopie sling which connects to the continuous loop on the hammock with another soft shackle. I also made a couple of dogbones that came in handy once when the only trees left were about 24 feet apart.

Now my camping buddy bought her own hammock so I'm back to simple Beetle Buckles and dyneema straps.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use Dutch Biners to go from my whoopies to my continuous loops. They act as a water break and it's easy to attach my UQ suspension to.

• + New Posts