Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

TarHeel State Hangers HangsGiving Trip Report 2019

HangsGiving 2019

As I’m sitting here unpacking and going over the pictures from this past weekend. I’m thankful for the 60+ hearty souls that joined us at the table on Saturday. I arrived just after dark on Thursday to more people than I expected on the first night. I caught the end of dinner which was tasty. Stories were shared and good times were had around the campfire. Closer to midnight most of those in attendance went to the top of the mountain to catch an expected meteor storm. With the clouds rolling in it was more like a meteor sprinkle, but each one of us saw something pretty in the night sky and re returned back down to the campfire to round in the evening.

Friday morning dawned on more bacon, eggs, sausage gravy,m and biscuits than I believe I’ve seen in camp before. The sun was bright and spirits were high as old friendships were renewed and new ones made. AS the morning wanned the BattleHorse Knives came out and even though Adam and Alicia were sorely missed their spirits were with the knives as we examined and drooled over them. Mike and Rocky brought out the tools of the trade and made primitive fire every which way they could think of. Jerry Dehart went over all the edibles and nutritional goodness that the forest can provide. I gave a poor discussion about backpacking. More people continued to arrive and hammocks were hung. New faces were pouring into the campsite. Every which way I turned a new face needed gear, wanted help, and had questions about their setups. I was in hog heaven. Dinner was Rocky’s award-winning Chili and Don Kemp graced us with a most worthy substitute to Barry’s Gumbo albeit with Okra… More campfire warmth to finish off the night.

Saturday the big busy day started off with coffee and magically for me a Bojangles Chicken Biscuit appeared out of nowhere, Thanks, Thomas! Throughout the day visions of raffle tickets danced in our heads. The tour of hammocks started and while we were getting acquainted with the each setup the sky started to cry on us. We knew that the rest of the day would either be raining or threatening to do so. So we donned our wet weather gear and acted like it didn’t much matter. The gearage sale started and some nice things were laid out for trade and bidding on. FOOD, what a thanksgiving without some good eats. It takes one heck of a kitchen to feed 60+ people and to do so in the woods, in the rain, is a monumental task. Rocky ran the kitchen like a Michelin rated chef and I don’t believe the food Network could have pulled off better! Jeff Long and others got to work and whipped up some of the best homestyle recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation that you just can’t describe how authentic and tasty they turned out! Whoever made that Green bean casserole… send me the recipe! Ticket sales and more tickets sales at $2500 we would shave Mike’s head, then as revenge for my teasing, he pulled me into the bet so at $4000 I would lose my lovely locks. Fourtanetly, for my hair we fell short of that amount, but $3450 is way more than Mike, Moose, and I ever dreamed possible. I love how this community comes together for a good cause and a good time. Post dinner we started pulling raffle items from hidey holes and arranging them as needed. Note to self 3 picnic tables aren’t enough we could have used 5! I started off the raffle and after the 1st hour and getting every their fill of shoelaces. My knees could stand for much more so I took a break and turned it over to Mike to bring us home. Towards the end, I ran off to grab the clippers and let everyone have their fun watching Mike get the years taken off his face. Wouldn’t you know it about 10 minutes after we finished the bottom fell out of the sky an heavy rain carried on into the night lulling us to some of the best sleep I’ve had in the forest.

Sunday dawned clear and bright. More coffee, sausage, and eggs to start the morning. Meagen and Ben introduced us to Aerial Yoga and the largest hammock I’ve ever seen! Oh, and another chicken biscuit for yours truly! At some point overnight Avery with Outdoorsman Outfitters snuck into camp and was showing off his stitchwork and other good hammock discussions. After much lollygagging and clean up we drove down to the rangers station and stunned the Park Superintendant with our large donation. WE finally got everything cleaned up and ready to move out about 4 in the afternoon. Thanks, everyone for attending and while I hope to see everyone next year. I really hope to see everyone in February for the Heartthrob hang!1
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I really wish we could have made it!!!!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You’ve topped yourself, throwing a fun informative gear packed hang. Your hospitality and camaraderie made this a memorable event.

The food was outa sight and in my gizzard!

All y’all Tarheel State Hangers are Always invited to Yates Hang, held both every spring and fall on time change weekend.

Y’all did it up! Thank wooo...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hate I missed this one! Thanks for the great trip report MrPickl.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Thank you Grappler. Your presence made mad my heart happy and the campfire all that much warmer.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Thanks Pappy Your smile and wit was missed around the campfire... It was all that much harder to keep Moose in line....
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I would like to thank everyone of the THSH folks folks for their hospitality. I had a great time rain and all! The great thing about early onset Old Timers is I get to meet all of you again next time! Regards, Tazmaniac

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    I would like to thank everyone of the THSH folks folks for their hospitality. I had a great time rain and all! The great thing about early onset Old Timers is I get to meet all of you again next time! Regards, Tazmaniac
    Thanks for coming out Taz....
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    It was a good hang got to see some natural fireworks
    Met some new people got to see mike Get shaved cause they reached there goals for the state park
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug