WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    The bug net crates a climate around you so well your water will not freeze even in the blackbird shelf when it is 26 degrees outside the bugnet.

That proved to me how much heat a bug net can hold and how much heat your body will put off around you. I expected the water to be frozen unless it was next to my body and it would freeze in the hammock shelf that is suspended in air. I was wrong.
    I'll second that experience with my own observation from this past winter. I was using a Blackbird XLC wrapped up in a canvas sock from MacEntyre. I had one water bottle next to me in the shelf and one laying in the bottom of the sock - well away from my underquilt. One bottle froze and one did not.

Granted, the canvas sock creates even more of a microclimate than a bugnet, but the principle is the same.

The next question is...would both bottles have frozen if I had slept with no cover and had a water bottle in the shelf?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    I'll second that experience with my own observation from this past winter. I was using a Blackbird XLC wrapped up in a canvas sock from MacEntyre. I had one water bottle next to me in the shelf and one laying in the bottom of the sock - well away from my underquilt. One bottle froze and one did not.

Granted, the canvas sock creates even more of a microclimate than a bugnet, but the principle is the same.

The next question is...would both bottles have frozen if I had slept with no cover and had a water bottle in the shelf?
    I suspect it would have been close enough to you it wouldn’t have frozen. Anything under me has always frozen so I expected the shelf water to do the same thing. I was very surprised.

Point is that the bugnet keeping a warm area around you will prevent the frosting on top quilt is my prediction. Has always worked for 3 of us I go with and no one has ever had frost except on items outside the netting and on outside of UQ except when using an UQProtector then the UQP is what frosted some. Not the UQ

After 162 posts on the subject, I dare suggest that it may be time to consider being a ground dweller again. Gee, what could go wrong with that? We'll all sleep in the dirt eventually...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I can't see the ground helping, unless I want to add mud to the mix. Dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I can't see the ground helping, unless I want to add mud to the mix. Dirty.
    We've had enough of those kind of trips!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I might do a test out back tonight. Here's the weather.

Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

I think I'll do the basic hex tarp without doors. 20° UQ, 20° TQ, light base layer, hat, socks. Frost bib?

I'm not sure what to try differently other than the frost bib. Maybe I'll try hanging it this time instead of just lying it on the TQ or over my face.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Try zipping a bug net. You won’t know unless you try it. For something to change something has to change. That’s the 1 thing I would try for sure.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Try zipping a bug net. You won’t know unless you try it. For something to change something has to change. That’s the 1 thing I would try for sure.
    Oh yeah I already forgot about that. Dang I hate being zipped up unnecessarily, but for testing purposes maybe I'll break out the Blackbird. My old double layer because the new one got dunked in permethrin 2 days ago and STINKS BAD!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    If that’s the solution it will give you answers either way. Maybe it isn’t but I know for me it is working. Only had 1 night of the moisture rolling in on me from fog and I haven’t gone netless since. But if you learn it isn’t a solution you will be happy either way. It’s information at least to have.

Images
    If that’s the solution it will give you answers either way. Maybe it isn’t but I know for me it is working. Only had 1 night of the moisture rolling in on me from fog and I haven’t gone netless since. But if you learn it isn’t a solution you will be happy either way. It’s information at least to have.
    What he said!

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast