Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Feeling wet and being wet are always 2 different things. I still think since the vapor barrier was used it is breath moisture. Add in environmental moisture and you will think it’s wet. Doubt the down was wet. But then again doing this evaluation on internet is always just a guess based on each persons experiences.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Feeling wet and being wet are always 2 different things. I still think since the vapor barrier was used it is breath moisture. Add in environmental moisture and you will think it’s wet. Doubt the down was wet. But then again doing this evaluation on internet is always just a guess based on each persons experiences.
    I can't imagine this is breath, only selecting to form on my lap and toes...nowhere else. Not even the tarp, around my neck, mouth, etc.

When I wake up and check things out with the headlamp, I can see water beads all along the stitching of the TQ. When I "smack" the quilt, more water oozes out from the threads. I can literally pump it out. Thankfully the down doesn't seem soaked and I can dry the outer layer with my stove. Otherwise, there's no going back to sleep at 3am in that soggy mess.

The Tychem suit...no fun.

Totally dry the first two nights with lows 25-30°, 35mph wind first night. Second night was pretty calm as I recall. Third night was 28° at bedtime and 14° by early morning, dead calm.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Multipurpose. Now you are ready for social distancing.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    We just had a "social distancing hang"! UL requires dual-purpose; I achieved tri-purpose! Vapor barrier for sleeping, cooking meth in the woods, and COVID-19 protection.

So it's a no go for the Tychem suit...but I must say you kind of looked like one of those yellow Easter peeps when you modeled it for us by the campfire. Now that I think about it, the suit reminds me more of of the guys from Devo!

I still think your drooling in your sleep, since you're probably too your for Depends...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    So it's a no go for the Tychem suit...but I must say you kind of looked like one of those yellow Easter peeps when you modeled it for us by the campfire. Now that I think about it, the suit reminds me more of of the guys from Devo!
    LOL! Glad we got it on video too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I can't imagine this is breath, only selecting to form on my lap and toes...nowhere else. Not even the tarp, around my neck, mouth, etc.

When I wake up and check things out with the headlamp, I can see water beads all along the stitching of the TQ. When I "smack" the quilt, more water oozes out from the threads. I can literally pump it out. Thankfully the down doesn't seem soaked and I can dry the outer layer with my stove. Otherwise, there's no going back to sleep at 3am in that soggy mess.

The Tychem suit...no fun.

Totally dry the first two nights with lows 25-30°, 35mph wind first night. Second night was pretty calm as I recall. Third night was 28° at bedtime and 14° by early morning, dead calm.
    So, no fun, but it worked? "totally dry first two nights". Was there another night that was not dry? Amazing to hear your description about "oozes out from the threads.". And amazing that your down seems to stay dry, though that would probably go down hill with added days. Do you have treated down?

If it(TyChem suit) worked, then did your VB liner not work? If so, that is hard to explain. (sorry, I guess I am losing track on your reports, you have probably all ready reported on that, but I have forgotten the answer. It has not been a good winter for testing, at least not in the East. We basically skipped winter(unless you count endless cold rain) in the south east.

If the suit is no fun, I must say that my SWL shirt and socks are very comfy, mostly if I sleep in them I am not even aware of them. Since they are lined, I wear them right next to skin.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    HA!

We just had a "social distancing hang"! UL requires dual-purpose; I achieved tri-purpose! Vapor barrier for sleeping, cooking meth in the woods, and COVID-19 protection.
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post

I still think your drooling in your sleep, since you're probably too your for Depends...
    The suit is no fun, but it worked, right?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-16-2020 at 13:17.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sorry that was misleading how I phrased the other nights. The first two were WITHOUT the suit. And also the third since it was too warm and uncomfortable. I took it off after 45 minutes. The actual low was cold enough to form all that condensation though, so I wish I could have left it on as a test. Maybe next winter.

I can't imagine it's my breath after the bib seems to block it all. I guess the next step is to pile on some serious face layers to block it? Doesn't sound comfortable.

Images
    Sorry that was misleading how I phrased the other nights. The first two were WITHOUT the suit. And also the third since it was too warm and uncomfortable. I took it off after 45 minutes. The actual low was cold enough to form all that condensation though, so I wish I could have left it on as a test. Maybe next winter.

I can't imagine it's my breath after the bib seems to block it all. I guess the next step is to pile on some serious face layers to block it? Doesn't sound comfortable.
    I'm not trying to overstate the possibility that it's your breath, but FWIW here's my take on your frost bib method, assuming you're still doing it the same way.

My understanding is you've got this bib draped over your face. Another assumption I'm making is that the heat from your face and the warmth of your breath will keep the moisture in your breath from freezing on the bib, at least in the kind of weather we're having now that winter is past its peak. It's probably not long before that bib material becomes saturated in localized spots, to the point it can't hold onto any more moisture. And then I assume any additional moisture will just pass on through, and then condense when it hits cold surfaces.

You, like me, stated you don't like having the more traditional frost bib around your neck and attached to the ridgeline. But the advantage that method has is that the bib is away from the heat of your face, and your breath will have cooled down more by the time it reaches the bib, allowing your breath to actually condense on it and turn to frost in below-freezing temps.

I dunno, that's just my thought. But I do empathize with you, because a wet top quilt isn't pleasant and you seem to have this problem a lot more than the average person.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I'm not trying to overstate the possibility that it's your breath, but FWIW here's my take on your frost bib method, assuming you're still doing it the same way.

My understanding is you've got this bib draped over your face. Another assumption I'm making is that the heat from your face and the warmth of your breath will keep the moisture in your breath from freezing on the bib, at least in the kind of weather we're having now that winter is past its peak. It's probably not long before that bib material becomes saturated in localized spots, to the point it can't hold onto any more moisture. And then I assume any additional moisture will just pass on through, and then condense when it hits cold surfaces.

You, like me, stated you don't like having the more traditional frost bib around your neck and attached to the ridgeline. But the advantage that method has is that the bib is away from the heat of your face, and your breath will have cooled down more by the time it reaches the bib, allowing your breath to actually condense on it and turn to frost in below-freezing temps.

I dunno, that's just my thought. But I do empathize with you, because a wet top quilt isn't pleasant and you seem to have this problem a lot more than the average person.
    I considered this right at the beginning since that was always the cause in tents...breath all over everything even the tent. But in this scenario it's actually water being pushed out from the quilt material. I never had that in a sleeping bag or in my tent days. Back then, breath was simply coating everything in sight on cold nights, but always refrozen so it didn't feel so bad. Just brush it off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast