Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    It also looks like it is on the hammock itself.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    It also looks like it is on the hammock itself.
    Yes, look thru all the notes and pics. It's everywhere. The last photo is the hammock. Thick crusty frost (most melted). Shows up nicely in the first as pic as well, being black.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I still think if you used a bug net you would find this is drastically reduced. The bug bet will cause a slightly warmer interior so the frost will be outside that area where the most cold temperature exists. Without the bug net you are allowing the most cold area bump up around yourself. I used a net less once and this sort of thing happened to me somewhat. Bug net it no longer happens at all except on my tarp and Underquilt that is outside my “enclosed” bug net environment.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Curious what a bug net tonight would show.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think a bug net would reduce most of the frost on inside of hammock and TQ...but that would retain almost all my breath so it would probably just be wet and not frozen.

But without a tarp, I'll lose. I'll save the tarpless nights for warmer weather as summer approaches.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Try it. You will he surprised. The moisture will turn into frost outside the bugnet. It won’t be captured in the net like you think. I’m always dry as a bone inside the bugnet area. So is my buddy that goes with me. Outside the bugnet is frost.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Try it. You will he surprised. The moisture will turn into frost outside the bugnet. It won’t be captured in the net like you think. I’m always dry as a bone inside the bugnet area. So is my buddy that goes with me. Outside the bugnet is frost.
    I've done it before in my Blackbird down to -5°. No issues that I recall, but that was before I was abducted by aliens who performed a transfusion to swap my blood for lava. I've given up on this; not sure why I'm pumping out gallons of hot moist air as of a year ago.

Images
    It might be worth trying, though I never thought of the bug net as a means of reducing frost and/or condensation. However, this suggestion makes me think of my record low, 6 years ago now. Nothing spectacular, at +6F, but plenty cold enough for lots of condensation. I was exceptionally dry. I had always given most of the credit for that to VB clothing and especially to my frost bib. Which was nothing but a fleece jacket attached to my ridge line hanging in front of my face. It was the only thing wet the next morning.

But, there was possibly one more factor. I can't remember for sure about my bug net, I think it was closed, but I'm not certain. But either way, there was also a breathable HHSS over cover, with a 6" diameter vent hole near my face. I suppose that would act in a similar manner as a bug net, as for keeping the coldest air out, and moving the dew point out? I probably had net plus over cover, because I can not remember tying the HH net out of the way. I remember I was really surprised at how dry I was, as I had seen many problems reported about condensation inside of socks. And I had my own condensation issues on my TQ near my face more than once. But I think most of those problems were indeed on nights that I used neither net nor top cover. I think. Maybe.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Makes since to me Billy Bob. A semi controlled inner climate is what your after. Going netless in cold temps made me realize I prefer nets year round. Just cuts wind and colder outside air from reaching you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Even with a vaper barrier you will create a warm climate around you. When the cold and moist atmosphere bumps up to your warm climate caused by body heat you will get frost. No different than attic heat and frost on your shingles on your house. You have to push that extra cold climate away from you with a bug net.

The bug net crates a climate around you so well your water will not freeze even in the blackbird shelf when it is 26 degrees outside the bugnet.

That proved to me how much heat a bug net can hold and how much heat your body will put off around you. I expected the water to be frozen unless it was next to my body and it would freeze in the hammock shelf that is suspended in air. I was wrong.

I think your foot end is getting more frost because heat rises and that is warmer than your other areas.

If it was your body moisture specifically it would be only on your TQ and not your hammock that is not next to you and “moisture” escaping through like you are thinking.

I think it is simply cold climate bumping up against warm climate and atmospheric moisture is collecting.

Introduce a barrier around you and it should be pushed to the outside of that barrier away from your inner climate ie top quilt and inner hammock.
    Last edited by blgoode; 04-02-2020 at 09:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast