Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I think the situation is days are cooler but nights are warmer due to more cloud cover.
    It is horrid on the part of msm media and warmist to tout 2nd hottest yr based on 30yrs of history...really like what about the other millions of yrs previous. Manipulation of data is getting out of hand by these people.
    Here we just came off of a deep cold week with -35c lows(of late every yr gets colder lows) and now its back to freezing plus minus with rains back in the forecast with a slight cooling period come for Feb. I see winter as really being over but suspecting a very slow spring...again cooler days warmer nights.

Anyways the back yard sleeps in the hammy are amazing..dead to the world....something about that cool fresh air.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    I see winter as really being over but suspecting a very slow spring
    I would be OK with a cold spring, at least to start. I waited a little too long to get the hot tent gear for this winter, but honestly I wouldn't have taken it on 3 out of 4 trips this winter so far because it was warmish and wet. If I'm taking that thing it better be freezing at best. Next weekend will be pushing it but I'm looking forward to testing everything.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    An absolute miserable winter so far. I've been complaining about it since 2015 now? I forget. Sure there are cold days, but it's a roller coaster and above average in general. Every trip so far has been total BS 35° days and 28° lows...sometimes even warming overnight. My only good cold hang was one weekend in southern Indiana at 19°, then the a couple days later when I hit the same temp in northern MI.....IN EARLY NOVEMBER! More of the same this weekend in MI. I keep telling myself it will change.
    You know, a few times in the past I have noticed that when the east USA was having a miserable winter, often out west things would be abnormally dry, and sometimes a bummer for the ski resort. Conversely, when the west was getting buried in snow, it was warmer than normal in the east.

But just a couple of days ago I was thinking: you know, often when it gets way colder than normal here in the deep south, they say that Canadian or arctic air has moved in. IOW, it did not stay up where it normally belongs, and moved south to visit us. So, I was wondering since this has been such a warm winter here in the east, what is happening up closer to the Arctic. Then I just happened to come across this just now(some one has been hogging all the cold air):
    " In general, when Alaska is experiencing colder-than-normal weather for an extended period of time in the winter season, it is usually warmer-than-normal in the eastern US. Indeed, this adage has been observed this month as warmer-than-normal conditions have persisted in the eastern US while Alaska has shivered. ..............................In March of 2016, they actually had to import snow from outside of the metro area to create enough cover for dog teams to slide through the downtown area. During this month, the temperature in Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, fell below zero on 16 of the first 21 days, averaging about 20 degrees below normal. In Fairbanks, Alaska’s third-most populous city, they have recorded 10 days of minus 30° (F), the longest such stretch since 2012........................next week and could drop to as low as 50° below in interior sections of Alaska. In fact, all indications are that colder-than-normal weather conditions will continue for at least the next couple of weeks.'
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/01/...lhAp96PA0i69Lc

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think I've officially given up on this wet TQ thing. Tomorrow-Sunday will be another test. Sloppy dirty 50° on top of 10" of snow. Rain. Then down to 17°-25° nights. This time I'm finally breaking down and trying the TyChem suit. There's nothing else left.

Images
    There's nothing else left.
    Except your breath.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Except your breath.
    That's been solved/eliminated long ago, so this is my last resort. Something that I almost don't want to work, because it's pretty ridiculous.

Images
    That's been solved/eliminated long ago..
    How so, if you don't mind my asking? I definitely didn't read this entire thread, but last I recall, you were using something like a frost bib, but draping it over your face instead of attaching it to the ridgeline. Have you started doing something different?

Images
    That's been solved/eliminated long ago, so this is my last resort. Something that I almost don't want to work, because it's pretty ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    How so, if you don't mind my asking? I definitely didn't read this entire thread, but last I recall, you were using something like a frost bib, but draping it over your face instead of attaching it to the ridgeline. Have you started doing something different?
    Also, that suit might be ridiculous, but a pair of SWL pants and shirt are not quite as ridiculous. Or for that matter, just wearing some rain gear, hopefully non-breathable. But I thought you had a VB liner bag. If that is not keeping your body moisture contained, how would that TyChem suit do any better?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-13-2020 at 08:33.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You know, a few times in the past I have noticed that when the east USA was having a miserable winter, often out west things would be abnormally dry, and sometimes a bummer for the ski resort. Conversely, when the west was getting buried in snow, it was warmer than normal in the east.

But just a couple of days ago I was thinking: you know, often when it gets way colder than normal here in the deep south, they say that Canadian or arctic air has moved in. IOW, it did not stay up where it normally belongs, and moved south to visit us. So, I was wondering since this has been such a warm winter here in the east, what is happening up closer to the Arctic. Then I just happened to come across this just now(some one has been hogging all the cold air):
    " In general, when Alaska is experiencing colder-than-normal weather for an extended period of time in the winter season, it is usually warmer-than-normal in the eastern US. Indeed, this adage has been observed this month as warmer-than-normal conditions have persisted in the eastern US while Alaska has shivered. ..............................In March of 2016, they actually had to import snow from outside of the metro area to create enough cover for dog teams to slide through the downtown area. During this month, the temperature in Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, fell below zero on 16 of the first 21 days, averaging about 20 degrees below normal. In Fairbanks, Alaska’s third-most populous city, they have recorded 10 days of minus 30° (F), the longest such stretch since 2012........................next week and could drop to as low as 50° below in interior sections of Alaska. In fact, all indications are that colder-than-normal weather conditions will continue for at least the next couple of weeks.'
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/01/...lhAp96PA0i69Lc
    As I understand it the Polar Vortex is always there, when it weakens the cold comes down and warms up Alaska. I was in Upper Minnesota in the late 90s and I had a -50f day (yes that cold) but on the same day it was +32f in Point barrow, Alaska. I looked at the data and said to myself WTF is up with this??

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I think I've officially given up on this wet TQ thing. Tomorrow-Sunday will be another test. Sloppy dirty 50° on top of 10" of snow. Rain. Then down to 17°-25° nights. This time I'm finally breaking down and trying the TyChem suit. There's nothing else left.
    That first part is a perfect recipe for fog. Everything gets wet when there's fog.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast