Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Are you related to Rob McKenna by any chance? Douglas Adams wrote about him in a few of his books.

“And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.”

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    I have read most, but admittedly not every word in this thread, so apologies if I'm restating or missing something; based on my own personal experience, I think cmc may have been on it with the very first reply.

On a recent night below freezing, I was astounded at the amount of condensation collected and how soaked my bib (bunched up in front of and below my face, and just barely laying over the TQ). It was the first time I had used fleece for this purpose, and it was absolutely starting to wick into my TQ. This was after only three or four hours. I tossed the bib out of the hammock and finished out the night. I wasn't necessarily a fan of pinning the bib to the RL, but I believe I'll be giving that a try next time out. Keeping the bib further away from the warmth of my face, and out of contact with the TQ should hopefully allow condensation to freeze on the bib, and prevent wicking to the TQ. Fingers crossed, and good luck!
    My experience with frost bibs hanging from my RL (even with everything inside a sock at 6ºF, is that it has tended to be soaked. Amazingly, even at 6F(but inside that sock) not even frost, just soaking wet. But it kept it off of my TQ, and nothing else inside my sock or Under cover was even slightly damp. But, i have not used frost bibs of any kind very often, so it could work out different. Unless you count the near the face areas of my TQs. Those have mad fine frost bibs, but more often just soaked with liquid rather than frost.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My bib seems to work, getting wet and refreezing when it's cold enough. Absolutely no wetness on my quilt around neck, shoulders or even down 12" or so. But starting around my stomach down to knees it's always wet. I mentioned it on the last page, but the interesting thing was seeing the beading along the baffle stitches. So that tells me moist warm air is getting drawn up thru there and forming condensation when hitting the cold air. I still need to try putting a light blanket over my TQ just to see what happens.

Or maybe I should use my 0° TQ when I normally wouldn't (lows 20-25° or so)? Beyond 25° I'd be sweating myself outta there.

Still can't believe the VB didn't fix this.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    No frost, just soaked...I can believe that, BB. That was my experience at a balmy 10*F, as well. Preventing the wicking is likely the bigger benefit of using the RL.

I did see your later comments, OC, but not sure what to think there. Just sharing what I have experienced after only a few hours. Had I left the soaking bib on the TQ, who knows what moisture mysteries may have commenced!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I got my Ti stove last night and gave it a test. It's great! No hot tent yet, which is about 2 weeks away. I don't want to put too much faith into that setup, but it will be nice in the winter.
    No turning back now when you get that whole setup going...if the tent is silpoly or so you will get some frosting on the inside...just let it be. The heat will dry it off accordingly to how hot vs how cold the contrast is but it has never been a problem for me. Have a internal ridge line to hang things from like your top quilt so it will dry nicely in the warmth near the stove.
    You will never turn back to cold camping especially on extended over nighters...that warmth from a wood stove is pure luxury and the weight penalty with Ti is so small it makes it so worthy...assuming you can get past the initial cost$$$$. Oh and cooking etc on the wood stove = awesomeness
    Avoid using the spark arrestor yah yah but it just creates more problems ...trust me.
    For a vertical chimney.... (semi horizontal chimney away from tent tends to solve things)
    When you get a burn hole in the tent ...no avoiding it...just use some seam sealer to seal it back up.
    Creosote from the pipe is usually the cause of flying problem sparks way more so than sparks from the wood....reality is there is no way to avoid it because the pipe is not insulated therefore with the cold it causes creosote to condense in the pipe. Dry wood helps but does not eliminate in my experience. Putting a spark arrestor on top of the pipe means it will clog up faster and be a PITA

Anyways look forward to seeing your complete setup and thoughts there after...

Some -32c lows scheduled for next week in these parts means I have to get out for some Hammock Hot Tenting
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Slept out in the back yard last night since I put together the DIY bipod stand here. Awesome!!!

Forecast said 15°, my thermometer said 24°, accuweather said 19 and weather channel said 24. I've never seen such a mess. Either way, I used my 0° set for once this year (pretty much gave up on this winter and waiting for 2021). I slept so well I couldn't believe it! Nice and quiet. No moisture on the TQ that I could tell other than the usual clamminess after a cold night.

Images
    Slept out in the back yard last night since I put together the DIY bipod stand here. Awesome!!!

Forecast said 15°, my thermometer said 24°, accuweather said 19 and weather channel said 24. I've never seen such a mess. Either way, I used my 0° set for once this year (pretty much gave up on this winter and waiting for 2021). I slept so well I couldn't believe it! Nice and quiet. No moisture on the TQ that I could tell other than the usual clamminess after a cold night.
    OneClick, it was 23 at my house last night, colder in some surrounding areas, WAY down south! Things are upside down!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OneClick, it was 23 at my house last night, colder in some surrounding areas, WAY down south! Things are upside down!
    An absolute miserable winter so far. I've been complaining about it since 2015 now? I forget. Sure there are cold days, but it's a roller coaster and above average in general. Every trip so far has been total BS 35° days and 28° lows...sometimes even warming overnight. My only good cold hang was one weekend in southern Indiana at 19°, then the a couple days later when I hit the same temp in northern MI.....IN EARLY NOVEMBER! More of the same this weekend in MI. I keep telling myself it will change.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    An absolute miserable winter so far. I've been complaining about it since 2015 now? I forget. Sure there are cold days, but it's a roller coaster and above average in general. Every trip so far has been total BS 35° days and 28° lows...sometimes even warming overnight. My only good cold hang was one weekend in southern Indiana at 19°, then the a couple days later when I hit the same temp in northern MI.....IN EARLY NOVEMBER! More of the same this weekend in MI. I keep telling myself it will change.
    We’ve been noticing it here on the Chesapeake as well. A few cold nights, but until this weekend nothing sustained.

This happened a couple of year ago and we thought we were going to end up with a mild winter. Then February and March came in and said “hold my beer.”

Just from cursory review, it seems like the seasons have simply shifted a few weeks: winter goes into spring, spring into summer, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    They keep telling us that - due to you know what- recent years have been the warmest on record. And that this fall and now this Jan have been the warmest on record. But, then I think they(the local weather boys who are quite good) also said something about "based on 30 years data".

But here is the problem: every time I get ready to believe them, I remember(or check the weather almanac every day in the paper) that most record highs around here were set in the 1930s or even earlier. For example, during this warm first 2 weeks of Jan, it has been 10 to 20º above average. But the vast majority of the time, records are not being set. For example, a couple of days ago the high was 62, about 10º above average. But the record high for this date was 75 or 76, set in 1937! So we would have to go another 14º higher just to match a record that was set 83 years ago. What the heck was causing it then?

And also, we have not broken 100ºF here in a couple of years or more. During the freakishly hot fall, we hit 98 one day, a new record for that day, but also the first time all year to hit even 98! To me, a normal summer in the south, we are breaking 100 on a regular basis, based on my lifetime of memories, even going back to my childhood in the 50s. I can remember a buddy freaking out when he moved here from Matertown, NY in SEPT 1980, and it was 103F! In September, 40 years ago!

So it has been ridiculously warm in recent years, but I don't know about hottest ever. I guess they are basing that on average temps, but it is hard to think it is te hottest ever when it is not even making it to 99, and rarely 98. Also, there is still the world record temp set in Death Valley, CA of 132F somewhere around over 100 years ago. Record still holds, but surely it will be broken sooner or later just as a matter of natural cycles?

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast