Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Images
    So, the moisture was all coming from the outside? Some how outside moisture was condensing on your shell? Do you think your down got damp, or did the DWR keep the moisture out? So, apparently, the bag being dry on the 3rd night had nothing to do with the VB? As far as you can tell, the only thing the VB helped with was it made you warmer?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-16-2019 at 15:55.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I think that’s why I’m curious if the bug netting would keep that moisture out. The only time I noticed moisture in my TQ was when I didn’t use bug net and I’ve used it ever since.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Sounds like outside moisture moving in and condensing on your warmer TQ as you sleep???

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Sounds like outside moisture moving in and condensing on your warmer TQ as you sleep???
    But condensation will happen more readily on colder surfaces. The inside surface of the tarp would be colder than the outer shell of the TQ, but in at least one of his prior posts, I believe OneClick said his tarp was dry. He also says the TQ stays relatively dry below the knees, and the shin area would probably be the coldest part of the TQ's outer shell (I believe). So to me, condensation from the relative humidity in the air alone doesn't make sense. It wouldn't just be on the TQ and it wouldn't be focused around the warmer areas of the TQ. Unless the air has 100%RH, a surface has to be colder than the ambient temp for condensation to occur. I still think it's breath, personally, but OneClick doesn't seem to agree.

OneClick, you could prove it to yourself once and for all that it's not breath related - wear a CPAP mask for a night!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    That’s what I was thinking was the actual case of it showing in colder surfaces which is why I asked. Seems opposite from what I’d think should happen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    But condensation will happen more readily on colder surfaces. The inside surface of the tarp would be colder than the outer shell of the TQ, but in at least one of his prior posts, I believe OneClick said his tarp was dry. He also says the TQ stays relatively dry below the knees, and the shin area would probably be the coldest part of the TQ's outer shell (I believe). So to me, condensation from the relative humidity in the air alone doesn't make sense. It wouldn't just be on the TQ and it wouldn't be focused around the warmer areas of the TQ. Unless the air has 100%RH, a surface has to be colder than the ambient temp for condensation to occur. I still think it's breath, personally, but OneClick doesn't seem to agree.

OneClick, you could prove it to yourself once and for all that it's not breath related - wear a CPAP mask for a night!
    Breath does seem a likely culprit. Seems like a wide frost bib hanging a few inches in front of his face would also prove that one way or the other. It might be that with the fleece over his face which I think OneClick normally does, might be that his breath- that close - can get through the fleece and make it on down to his quilt. Maybe, who knows.

Bigoode- I wrote this before but I messed it up- a net might well help keep some exterior moisture out plus warm up the interior a few degrees, all of which could keep the quilt shell further from the dew point. But if the moisture is coming from OneClick, nets can also hold that in, and can be a cold spot tat vapor condenses on as well, which can later rain or snow back down on the sleeper. Some have complained about such in the past. But, it might help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    That’s what I was thinking was the actual case of it showing in colder surfaces which is why I asked. Seems opposite from what I’d think should happen.
    Same here.

It's a complicated system though... external climate, microclimate under the tarp... breath temp higher than ambient, breath raising %RH in the microclimate, moisture leaving the body through pores and sweat glands, heat transfer from the body outward... lots and lots of relatively intangible variables at play.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Breath does seem a likely culprit. Seems like a wide frost bib hanging a few inches in front of his face would also prove that one way or the other. It might be that with the fleece over his face which I think OneClick normally does, might be that his breath- that close - can get through the fleece and make it on down to his quilt. Maybe, who knows.
    Agreed, and going back a few weeks, I suggested the bib over face may be becoming saturated (like I know the material of my balaclava does if I wear that) and once saturated, further moisture is just going to pass on through. The warmth of his face would keep that moisture from freezing, whereas a hanging frost bib would allow the moisture to condense and freeze on its surface and then more and more frost would continue accumulating.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I don't have any experience with using a frost bib but you mentioned it was like t-shirt material. That's very porous and would allow a lot of vapor through even with frost on it unless it's a solid sheet of ice. Breathing through your nose would direct the air towards your torso.

Another possibility is that this is moisture coming from your body because we sweat a lot even while sleeping. Your core is the hottest part of your body and has to most surface area so it would seem reasonable that it would put off a lot of moisture. If this wicks through your quilt and hits very cold air it could condense on the outer edge of the quilt.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Nice "dry" cold feel to the air.
    I was kind of thinking along those lines. Even though our winter air here in Utah is a little more humid than warmer months, it is still pretty dry. I'm sure your local humidity plays into it, at least contributes anyway.

I've never had any issues with condensation/wetness when I cold weather camp, but typically I don't venture outside Utah for that either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast