Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    Has anyone toyed with a canvas sock? I know Macintyre makes them and I always wonder if that would help with my condensation problems. I am a clammy dude. Summer, winter, fall, in bed, extra socks... doesn't matter. Cool and clammy. Makes for interesting cold weather outings...

Maybe the OP just had a clammy night and that is the difference between this experience and others?
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Bear View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shug has or had a video about this. It's been some years but I remember him wearing and recommending a frost bib when hanging in sub zero temps.
    Here's at least one:

https://youtu.be/4n06cgAMNec

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A canvas sock is helpful in "sock weather" which generally starts at 15°F or colder. I borrowed a canvas sock last winter and used it during the January polar vortex. I was so impressed that I purchased one from Mac this fall. A canvas sock will greatly reduce condensation issues, but don't expect that it will completely eliminate them. It's just one more option in one's bag of tricks to "manage" water vapor. At -26°F, there was very little frost on the inside of the canvas (no "snow" effect), but the TQ was wet near my head/neck area from my breath. It dried very quickly in the vortex sun and bitter breeze the next morning. Since I'm going to make a frost bib to hang inside my XLC for this winter, is it proper and right to wish for another polar vortex or two?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Woke this morning with a nice layer of frost on the TQ and inside of the tarp.

Low was 23F.

Odd that there wasn't any frost on the ground, none on the hammock, the UQ or the outside of the tarp. And it also was concentrated on the waist area of the TQ.. Not by my feet or my head. As usual, my feet were cold around 5:00-ish.

HG Palace
    HG 20's
    Loose wool socks, light base layer top and bottom, micro grid fleece hoodie, down pants and I tested a pair of JRB Down Sleeves.

Given where the frost was, I am considering Shug's suggestion that i might have over insulated. No idea.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    tarp and waist area only- that is odd! If you over insulated that would probably mean sweat, which would then have to wick all the way through your down and out through your DWR shell. Seems unlikely, but who knows.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Last night I camped with temps mid-teens, no VB. Quilt was wet on top head, torso and even some in the leg area. Curiously none at the feet, because I wore my somewhat damp socks that were dry this morning. Wind dropped to calm overnight, don't know relative humidity but seemed about mid-range.

Next week I'm all-in VB if we get similar conditions, which we should be seeing around Wednesday, to see what happens.

Someone in one of the other threads asked how much water weight gain there is in a quilt. I let the quilt air dry for about 35 minutes after taking it out this morning, so the results are affected by that, although temp was around 20°F, so I don't know how much evaporated or froze into the quilt. It seemed, subjectively, pretty wet. Weighed it at home this morning and weight was 23.6oz, and it is 22.08oz dry, so the weight increase was 1.52oz.

The test venue!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I really have to make time to read that VB thread...

And, next trip I want to hang at ^^^that^^^ spot..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It the south if you sleep out at night your quilt gets damp to wet period. It's all about the relative humidity and ours is always on the high side. Wetness happens and we just deal with it. I'm sure in your area after it gets so cold the air tends to dry out but here most winter mornings it looks like snow from the frost and high humidity. On a multi day trip you have to find some time during the day to hang the quilt to dry or after 3 or more days the quilt starts to get wet and stay wet.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I really have to make time to read that VB thread...

And, next trip I want to hang at ^^^that^^^ spot..
    LOL I might be hanging there!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    That was me that asked about the weight due to moisture build up. I have never done a downtown study of this but by experience only I have stopped using down and have switched to climashield (APEX). I was first impressed with this type of insulation from a wiggy's bag I bought years ago. I went thru the whole "down" is better "down" is lighter phase and have come back full circle to synthetic is all around the best insulation out there - no moisture build up dries super fast no compression issues (I have literally stored my sleeping bag under heavy compression all the time and it is just like brand new - I have owned and used it every year for the past 18 years). Yes it is heavier and yes down compresses better but performance wise you just cannot beat APEX - just my opinion not trying to convenience anyone to change! HYOH!
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast