Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Did you ever try the bugnet to keep atmosphere out?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Same old story continues. Went to sleep at 10pm and woke up today at 2am and felt dry. Normal dampness around my chin from breathing. But then waking up for the day at 7am the TQ was soaking wet. As usual, water beading all along the stitching. Mostly stomach area down to foot on top only. 20°+1 quilt felt like a 40 at best by this point.

Next weekend I'll be in similar conditions if the weather holds, so I'm taking a small cotton bed sheet to put over me just to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Did you ever try the bugnet to keep atmosphere out?
    OneClick, you have some real challenges that seem to really be almost unique to you! I have rarely encountered such- maybe never exactly as you describe. It is still hard for me to believe that a Warmlight(lite?) lined VB shirt would not completely solve that problem. Since it is beading all along the stitches, doesn't that indicate that the moisture is coming from the inside? A true unsolved mystery. I'm guessing you did not use the bugnet?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I still think the cold air is hitting your warmth and condensation happens. I’d try the bug net but then I do keep suggesting that to make sure that that could be a simple option. A sheet seems like you are in theory moving the problem a layer. You could try and drape the sheer over the Ridgeline to see if that moves the condensation layer away from you. But then I believe that would be the same thing by using a bugnet.

Works for 3 of us. Only time I ever had a damp tip quilt was net less with a cold situation where moisture was in the air.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I’m really interested in the sheet idea too. But the problem with the result will be.....

Yes - no problems and nothing wet (why? Was it the sheet or something else)
    Or
    No- the sheet got wet too (was it still from outside air or inside?)

Seems like the most information could be gathered by trying the bugnet and the sheet on you too

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I really can't bring myself to do the bugnet in the winter, but I understand it would be an easy test. I REALLY can't bring myself to use it in my hot tent. Plus my other hammocks are more comfortable.

If the sheet gets wet it will just be damp after absorbing water unlike the waterproof-ish TQ material. Which would be fine as a sacrificial layer to keep my TQ mostly dry. But if the TQ is still wet and I can feel the dampness inside the quilt, I'll know I just made things worse by trapping it with less chance to evaporate.

Maybe instead of a sheet I'll use a fleece blanket to ensure all moisture stays on the outside while still breathing.

AHH!!! I just want to figure this out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I think enclosing yourself in a climate is the way to figure it out. Without that you don’t know the cause. Even if it’s an 1 evening exercise. Maybe I’m just thinking about it all wrong but understanding the whole informations is what I’m after. If a bugnet is fine in the summer why not in the winter to see if it is you or the outside?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Not to beat a dead horse but it’s sort of like saying your ice maker is broken because the door is cracked and it’s leaking melted ice. You can replace the ice maker and still have the same result if you don’t figure out if the door is open or closed. Figure out if it is you or the exterior climate.

If it’s you then the vaper barrier would have corrected it. I believe I remember it was still an issue with the vaper barrier being used so to me that means it isn’t you but the outside.

So I’d try and shut the door vs but a sponge in the freezer for the leaky ice.

I hope you can find some result that ads enjoyment to your trips but for me sleeping confident with a bugnet in use and even an under quilt protector during windy trips is a use for me. Makes the trip have a predictable experience. So then any added issues I can problem solve. For example. I had a cool evening with a zero degree Underquilt on my back. I thought it was just added wind but the under quilt protector being used meant something else was going on. With closer inspection using sunlight I could see that down migrated away from my back area in the Underquilt so I migrated it back in place. Without the added tool being used I’d have said my Underquilt sucks for windy nights because I got cold. It didn’t happen when the wind was less. I went back in another trip in a terrible windy trip and slept so confident and warm!

So you should try what you can to learn the cause and treat future trips accordingly based off the information gathered. Just a suggestion to use the bugnet to encode your climate to see if it is even an issue with yourself or not. I think the vaper barrier trip proved it was not you. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I haven’t followed this thread fully, but I totally get your frustration.

I usually camp in a temperate rain forest. When that costal fog rolls in, it’s like being spritzed with mister everywhere. Inside the tarp, outside, under, everywhere.

I’ve given up and gone to synthetic which I don’t care for nearly as much as down, but it keeps me plenty warm in high humidity environments. I just ordered a new down top quilt however because I love down and can use it where it’s just cold but not so **** wet.
    Last edited by Tpatter; 11-23-2020 at 22:13.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but it’s sort of like saying your ice maker is broken because the door is cracked and it’s leaking melted ice.......................
    If it’s you then the vaper barrier would have corrected it. I believe I remember it was still an issue with the vaper barrier being used so to me that means it isn’t you but the outside. So I’d try and shut the door vs but a sponge in the freezer for the leaky ice. ..............................So you should try what you can to learn the cause and treat future trips accordingly based off the information gathered. Just a suggestion to use the bugnet to encode your climate to see if it is even an issue with yourself or not. I think the vaper barrier trip proved it was not you. But I could be remembering incorrectly.
    I also am thinking that a VB did not help OneClick, or did not help every time. On the other hand: about shutting/repairing that broken freezer door. The net(functioning somewhat like a sock) might be all it takes, but he seems somewhat resistant to that. However, another way to add a door is to have a water proof quilt shell. Whether waterproof/breathable, or plain old sil-nylon. Whether as a separate bivy sack type of deal, or as the actual quilt shell, or as a blanket laid over the quilt. Of course, every one is thinking "idiot, he will soak his down with sweat and/or condensation.". Which is true. Unless also wearing VB clothing. In which case, vapor or liquid from the sleeper can not reach the down, nor can any form of outer moisture or wind. However, one would have to be prepared to vent to prevent overheating and or sweat(even though it could not get into the down, but would just be unpleasant) might need to use a lighter, less lofty quilt. This would fix both the broken outer and inner door, if either is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I haven’t followed this thread fully, but I totally get your frustration.

I usually camp in a tropical rain forest. When that costal fog rolls in, it’s like being spritzed with mister everywhere. Inside the tarp, outside, under, everywhere.

I’ve given up and gone to synthetic which I don’t care for nearly as much as down, but it keeps me plenty warm in high humidity environments. I just ordered a new down top quilt however because I love down and can use it where it’s just cold but not so **** wet.
    I have synthetic (Polarguard) light(12oz hooded XL jacket and 8 oz pants) puffy clothing, which has been spectacularly resistant to any source of moisture, and very quick to dry from body heat. I periodically consider going back to Climashield for my quilts, for the sheer security of it, especially for the more remote wilderness trips. I actually have 3 Climashield UQs, the original WB Yeti and an AHE Ridge Creek(for my WB bridge) and a Jarbidge. Both are excellent. Of course, down might save me an oz or 2, and pack a bit smaller. Neither is usually a big concern for me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Bivy idea is a great idea to try BillyBob. Finding the right solution will take some time and experimentation. Will be interesting to see how the sheet works to see if it can shed some light on the issue for him.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast