Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I'm not trying to overstate the possibility that it's your breath, but FWIW here's my take on your frost bib method, assuming you're still doing it the same way.

My understanding is you've got this bib draped over your face. Another assumption I'm making is that the heat from your face and the warmth of your breath will keep the moisture in your breath from freezing on the bib, at least in the kind of weather we're having now that winter is past its peak. It's probably not long before that bib material becomes saturated in localized spots, to the point it can't hold onto any more moisture. And then I assume any additional moisture will just pass on through, and then condense when it hits cold surfaces.

You, like me, stated you don't like having the more traditional frost bib around your neck and attached to the ridgeline. But the advantage that method has is that the bib is away from the heat of your face, and your breath will have cooled down more by the time it reaches the bib, allowing your breath to actually condense on it and turn to frost in below-freezing temps.

I dunno, that's just my thought. But I do empathize with you, because a wet top quilt isn't pleasant and you seem to have this problem a lot more than the average person.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I considered this right at the beginning since that was always the cause in tents...breath all over everything even the tent. But in this scenario it's actually water being pushed out from the quilt material. I never had that in a sleeping bag or in my tent days. Back then, breath was simply coating everything in sight on cold nights, but always refrozen so it didn't feel so bad. Just brush it off.
    I also still lean towards a frost bib problem. But, the observed moisture coming out of the quilt seems to negate that theory. OTOH, any VB should knock that out 100%. At least always has for me. Even when I have been careless(sometimes on purpose for testing) and grossly overheated and sweat, even while exercising or working, not a drop gets past my VB into my insulation.

So it should stop it. Then again, because he has been too hot I am not sure OneClick has actually tried it that much. OneClick, can you remember, on the November night where it was only up to your armpits, did you observe the moisture coming up out of the quilt then? I'm thinking not.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I also still lean towards a frost bib problem. But, the observed moisture coming out of the quilt seems to negate that theory. OTOH, any VB should knock that out 100%. At least always has for me. Even when I have been careless(sometimes on purpose for testing) and grossly overheated and sweat, even while exercising or working, not a drop gets past my VB into my insulation.

So it should stop it. Then again, because he has been too hot I am not sure OneClick has actually tried it that much. OneClick, can you remember, on the November night where it was only up to your armpits, did you observe the moisture coming up out of the quilt then? I'm thinking not.
    Ahh I was mixing up trips. Here's a snippet from my November trip notes: Tested vapor barrier liner in TQ. Worked well but still a little frost on hammock foot end. Try putting arms and entire body inside next time.

So, I will do that next time. Also I will work on a better bib setup. Maybe just strap an entire pillow to my face

I think I already mentioned this, but later on in the winter: Night 1: VB, no moisture! Night 2: no VB, moisture. Night 3: VB, no moisture. Night 4: VB, SOAKED. Not sure what's going on. Still slept well every night. Dried quilt in early morning over MSR Reactor stove and went back to sleep. So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think the weather is the simplest explanation in addition to moist breath no being blown out on calm nights. I supposed the beading on the threads is where the cold air is first hitting the cold air.
    Last edited by OneClick; 03-16-2020 at 13:27.

Images
    Sorry that was misleading how I phrased the other nights. The first two were WITHOUT the suit. And also the third since it was too warm and uncomfortable. I took it off after 45 minutes. The actual low was cold enough to form all that condensation though, so I wish I could have left it on as a test. Maybe next winter.

I can't imagine it's my breath after the bib seems to block it all. I guess the next step is to pile on some serious face layers to block it? Doesn't sound comfortable.
    Idea: How about a nonbreathable frost bib? Hanging in front of your face, a few inches away? That way there would be no question about your breath making it thru and condensing on your quilt. OTOH, if not freezing on the bib, the condensation would run down the bib, and onto your quilt. So, maybe not. It would at least need some kind of fleece like fabric bonded to the sil-nylon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Idea: How about a nonbreathable frost bib? Hanging in front of your face, a few inches away? That way there would be no question about your breath making it thru and condensing on your quilt. OTOH, if not freezing on the bib, the condensation would run down the bib, and onto your quilt. So, maybe not. It would at least need some kind of fleece like fabric bonded to the sil-nylon.
    I joked a while ago about wearing a CPAP mask to sleep in. Lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is easily solvable using one of these. Hopefully you're not claustrophobic:
    Gasmask.png

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This is easily solvable using one of these. Hopefully you're not claustrophobic:
    Gasmask.png
    Seriously gets me thinking...something like that just to eliminate causes!

Images
    Seriously gets me thinking...something like that just to eliminate causes!
    I think the CPAP mask, which is designed to be slept in, might be a little more comfortable overnight. LOL!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I always joked about a fighter pilot mask years ago. Run it outside the tent.

Images
    What happens if the exhaled vapor freezes up in the narrowest point of the tubing?

I used to think about taking a cardboard tube from the center of a roll of paper towels in our kitchen, and closing the top shell of my Pea Pod around it. But I never got around to playing with it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Last night was perfect with cool temps and no wind so slept out back. When I woke up around 5:15am I felt the TQ to check...BOOM! Totally soaked. Now this was an extreme example since it was 31° instead of the forecasted 35°, no tarp, no wind. So I expected some trouble with no tarp alone. Still, this gives you an idea of what I deal with.

Water droplets (now frozen) all over the TQ, the usual deal. Frost on the foot end of hammock as well, but I usually only get this when it's closer to 10° or even 0°.

Foot of TQ totally frosted over. Also the side of the UQ which you can see on the right. My body heat never seems to come out of the head end for some reason. Actually, never happened now that I think of it.

Ice all along the side of the hammock (most melted off in the time it took to get inside)

The funny thing is, I was warm and could have kept sleeping as long as I didn't move an inch...but I got up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast