UGQ Bandit vs WB Diamondback

I'm trying to decide on a new top quilt. I have a basic 20 degree one at present (synthetic) that gets the job done down to about 30 comfortably, but I'd like something lighter and warmer.

Looking at UGQ Bandit and the Warbonnet Diamondback. 950 fill, draft collar, back tension cables, 1 or 2 oz of extra fill, 10°.

Similar pricing on both.

Thoughts? Comments?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Have you considered loco libre and enlightened equipment as well?

Images
    My first thought is if you decide on a Bandit, it makes sense to take advantage of their BF sale.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...IDAY-SALE-POST

I have a Bandit and like most things about it. I'll mention 2 things I don't like about it as much:
    - The neck drawstring is adjusted via 2 individual mini cordlocks (1 on each side). These end up behind your head/back so they're more of a pain to adjust than other quilts which have a single cordlock front and center.
    - The neck and footbox both use Kam snaps for closure. Sometimes those come undone on me. I sort of prefer a little beefier snap for this application.

My Bandit is from before they offered the Dynamic Tension system, or whatever they call it. Actually none of my TQs have that feature, so I can't speak to it. Tyroler makes a good suggestion to consider LLG and EE into the equation, but one thing to note is that neither of those vendors offer that feature on the back. Just the usual cinch closure around the neckline.

UGQ's BF sale starts Thrusday night @ 9pm EST.
    Warbonnet hasn't announced a sale yet, but they usually have one.
    Enlightened Equipment are also offering 10% off TQs for BF. Their sale has already begun.
    Loco Libre stopped doing BF sales a couple years back and simply offer their best pricing year round.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All I can offer is a peek at the Diamondback.
    I really like it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    My first thought is if you decide on a Bandit, it makes sense to take advantage of their BF sale.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...IDAY-SALE-POST

- The neck drawstring is adjusted via 2 individual mini cordlocks (1 on each side). These end up behind your head/back so they're more of a pain to adjust than other quilts which have a single cordlock front and center.
    - The neck and footbox both use Kam snaps for closure. Sometimes those come undone on me. I sort of prefer a little beefier snap for this application.
    The standard foot box is now a 24" zipper, we do not use snaps on the Zipper/Draw Cord foot box. The neck closure now includes both end AND a front/center pull allowing you to choose where to pull it from. Hope that helps, BTW the Diamond Black is a super sharp quilt so you can't go wrong either way... Comes down the options, colors, prints, features, etc...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    The standard foot box is now a 24" zipper, we do not use snaps on the Zipper/Draw Cord foot box. The neck closure now includes both end AND a front/center pull allowing you to choose where to pull it from. Hope that helps, BTW the Diamond Black is a super sharp quilt so you can't go wrong either way... Comes down the options, colors, prints, features, etc...
    Thanks Paul. In fairness, I probably should have mentioned how minor those 2 "complaints" are for me. I have a few TQs and my 20° Bandit is still my go-to most of the time.

And re the footbox snaps, I have the sewn, insulated version. The 2 Kam snaps it has above the sewn footbox do come undone sometimes, but it's really not that noticeable when they do because the footbox itself is stitched.

So let me add a few things that I do really like about it.

- Untreated down. I have quilts with and without treated down. While all of them still perform well, I feel a higher degree of confidence that the ones with untreated down will continue to perform well pretty much indefinitely.
    - The sewn, insulated footbox is very warm and roomy. I never feel constrained, even with the full taper.
    - I chose Membrane 10 for both the inner and outer shell, and I think this is one of the best quilt fabrics I've experienced. I've not seen a single plume of down escape and the fabric is breathable and very comfortable to the touch. I wish I had a comforter for the bed made like this.
    - The sewn footbox model I have has 2 tiny plastic triangles sewn to ribbon on the outside of the footbox, and I use those to hang the quilt in the garage for a day or two after use, before putting the quilt away.

The Zeppelin is right up there among the best of the best for underquilts, too.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Yes, both the insulated and boxed foot box do have two snaps on them. The are sewn roughly 12"-16" up depending on length of the quilt and two snaps allow you to set the final closed length.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Have you considered loco libre and enlightened equipment as well?
    I have not, but open to suggestions! What do you like or recommend about each?

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    All I can offer is a peek at the Diamondback.
    I really like it.
    Shug

I love my Blackbird, hence the interest in the Diamondback.

Primary interest is just a high quality baby for your buck light top quilt I can rely on in cooler temperatures.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulkrum78 View Post
    I'm trying to decide on a new top quilt. I have a basic 20 degree one at present (synthetic) that gets the job done down to about 30 comfortably, but I'd like something lighter and warmer.

Looking at UGQ Bandit and the Warbonnet Diamondback. 950 fill, draft collar, back tension cables, 1 or 2 oz of extra fill, 10°.

Similar pricing on both.

Thoughts? Comments?

One thing to consider when overstuffing a top quilt is that it starts to diminish the quilt's ability to drape down on you. Overstuffing the chambers makes them stiffer, if you will. (underquilts are a different story...overstuff all you want, they don't have to drape)

I have one of Paul's(UGQ) original TQs, a Flight Jacket, and a Warbonnet Diamondback.

Both are quality pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts