Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    UGQ top & under
    Suspension
    Whoopies

XLC underquilt protector zipper for winter top cover

I have the new generation XLC ... love it ... also have the wintertop cover and underquilt protector that zip together to form a free hanging chinook.

I thought WB offered a double zipper option for either (one of the) the top or bottom so that the top or bottom was zipped to the hammock.

I can’t find that option on the warbonnet website ... was it discontinued?

Images
    They did have that option, and they might have discontinued it since it doesn't seem to be listed anymore.

This thread has some discussion of zipper problems users had with their WBBB UQPs... Wonder if there could be any relation.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...zipper-failure

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    They only seem to only offer it when they have some in stock. Both the option to order the extra zipper track as well as the adapter have come and gone over the last months. I don't know if they are going to make it a permanent option. Personally, I vastly prefer the double zipper track as it keeps the upper part of the hammock as it usually is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    They only seem to only offer it when they have some in stock. Both the option to order the extra zipper track as well as the adapter have come and gone over the last months. I don't know if they are going to make it a permanent option. Personally, I vastly prefer the double zipper track as it keeps the upper part of the hammock as it usually is.
    I agree, I like it with the double zipper track. I ordered it a few months ago, and that was after a period in which they weren't offering the option. At that time, the reason they didn't have it was because they were waiting on zipper from the supplier, according to Brandon. One thing to mention though - at that time a few months ago when they weren't offering it, they still had notes on the page explaining what the extra zipper track was for and what the added weight was. I don't see that info there now. But Hutzelbein could be right... maybe it's just temporarily out of stock.

Images
    So we were having some issues with some people getting the extra track option and damaging their zipper. The extra track option was added to the design as an after the fact add on and I didn't test it as much as I should have. In recent testing I have been able to re-create some stress on the end of the zipper (but haven't been able to actually break anything) when the hammock whip is inside the UQP and extra track is zipped on. I can also create stress by having the Wooki whip sticking out of the UQP (because it wants to pull back inside once bodyweight is added and Wooki whip/endmass should NEVER stick out the end of the UQP under any circumstances)

The best method when using both a Wooki and the extra zipper track is to have the hammock whip sticking out the opening on the end of the UQP and the Wooki whip staying inside it...this is fairly easily done on a single layer, very very tight on a light double and not really an option at all on a heavy double. (tip, after zipping the UQP to one side, slot the end edge of the UQP between the two whips as deeply as you can and then zip onto the other side) I may re-design at some point to deal with these shortcomings but for now we have discontinued the extra track as an add-on feature meaning shelf,footbox, tieouts etc all function normally but the hammock body is free floating inside like a traditional hammock sock.

I would recommend folks who have a single or Lightweight double to setup as described above (hammock whip out, Wooki whip in), if you have a heavy double I recommend zipping top to the UQP only and simply not using the extra track to connect to the hammock body.

In short when hammock body is NOT zipped into the system, The hammock whip and Wooki whip can both be fully "inside" the UQP but when trying to use the extra track you want hammock whip sticking out and wooki whip in.

Images
    Thank you for the usage recommendations, Brandon.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    UGQ top & under
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the reply’s and great in-depth info.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Could use a video to demonstrate problem and solutions. I am new to the XLC, and have the top cover and UQP, along with the rookie. Learning how to anticipate the issues without creating additional

Hello together - greetings from germany,

recently, i purchased the BBXLC (HW / DL) + UQP (DZ) + Wookie setup.
    Noticed also the same issue - high stress on the zipper when the UQP and the Wookie are attached.

Then i followed an initial idea from the user "hutzelbein" - and found a good solution.
    The solution is described in the german hammock forum - where i posted some pictures and the description.

Even if the text is in german - the pictures provide the information how the issue is solved.
    Link to my post:
    https://www.haengemattenforum.de/thr...ctor/?pageNo=1

Its the post No. 18

The solution: i passed an adjustable paracord loop through the ending of the UQP - so that i would get an ajustable loop inside each end of the UQP. So the Wookie can be hang on the loop of the paracord - and the loop has to be tightened until the desired tension (the end of the Wookie is always inside the UQP).
    This works fine. The tension is adjustable. If high stress is placed on the Wookie - the loop will get loosen and reduce the stress. The UQP can always stay zipped on the hammock - and i can put in or remove the Wookie in few seconds.

This solution can still be improved - but works for now with the XLC heavy weight + double layer.

I know this is an old thread.

Curious if the double zipper option problems have ever or will ever be resolved(?) Pretty sure I understand why a solution is not simple.

If possible, having the option would be terrific. (especially if it could be made to work with the double fabric options.)

• + New Posts