BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Original JRB BMBH Learning Lesson

Over in the general hammock discussions, I enlisted the help of some experience in trying to lighten my hammock experience and I got a lot of good input. Some of it completely different than I expected (such as looking at the entire system and making the changes there instead of the hammock).

I do have one of the BMBH that have the double floor (for the pad) and a zipped in screen. Absolutely love the way this feels when I have my pad in the sleeve. No shoulder squeeze and a completely flat lay. One of the lessons was, don't fix something that aint broke. If you like the hammock, make some adjustments, but do not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I reviewed some suggestions and a video that Grizz had out on modifying the BMBH. Good stuff about making some changes to the BMBH to save about 11 ounces.

Looking at that video, I am going to incorporate some changes, but not all. This brought me to a lessons learned when I first got this hammock from the Jacks years ago. This had to do with the rings. On the mod that Grizz talked about, he suggested cutting out the 6 rings and replacing them with some Amsteel alternates. Below is my comment to Grizz on a conversation, so thought you all would gain some knowledge...

I do plan on leaving the two rings at each end and just eliminate the center ring at the top of the triangle. Thought about taking the corners out, but I had a learning experience that prompted me to keep them. I want the spreader bars to have a good bite on the rings. Lot of folks do not realize it, but the spreader bar is supposed to hook into the underside of the ring and not the top. Hooking into the underside distributes the load towards the bottom side of the stitching. Hooking to the topside of the ring allows stress on the corner stitching to the point of tearing (been there / done that). Worried that putting in a loop at that corner (per your video) with the tubing, would create that same stress point. Probably not a problem if you are 165 lbs, but I come in at 215 and that may be too much alteration of the design - so the rings stay.

For us heavier hammock hangers that have the BMBH - make sure you are hooking into the bottom of the ring. When you sit on your hammock and apply the weight, the full strength of that webbing is loaded EVENLY along the entire length of that side of the hammock. If you hook you notch into the top of the ring, it adds localized stress to that stitching and could create an unpleasant experience.

For those who are visual - look at the picture attached. For those who have never seen the flat lay of the hammock with a pad in the sleeve, look at the second picture and notice the board flat lay of the BMBH. It holds this position even when you are in the hammock. Like having your bed in the sky.

Spreader_InRing.jpg BMBH_wPad.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Over in the general hammock discussions, I enlisted the help of some experience in trying to lighten my hammock experience and I got a lot of good input. Some of it completely different than I expected (such as looking at the entire system and making the changes there instead of the hammock).

I do have one of the BMBH that have the double floor (for the pad) and a zipped in screen. Absolutely love the way this feels when I have my pad in the sleeve. No shoulder squeeze and a completely flat lay. One of the lessons was, don't fix something that aint broke. If you like the hammock, make some adjustments, but do not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I reviewed some suggestions and a video that Grizz had out on modifying the BMBH. Good stuff about making some changes to the BMBH to save about 11 ounces.

Looking at that video, I am going to incorporate some changes, but not all. This brought me to a lessons learned when I first got this hammock from the Jacks years ago. This had to do with the rings. On the mod that Grizz talked about, he suggested cutting out the 6 rings and replacing them with some Amsteel alternates. Below is my comment to Grizz on a conversation, so thought you all would gain some knowledge...

I do plan on leaving the two rings at each end and just eliminate the center ring at the top of the triangle. Thought about taking the corners out, but I had a learning experience that prompted me to keep them. I want the spreader bars to have a good bite on the rings. Lot of folks do not realize it, but the spreader bar is supposed to hook into the underside of the ring and not the top. Hooking into the underside distributes the load towards the bottom side of the stitching. Hooking to the topside of the ring allows stress on the corner stitching to the point of tearing (been there / done that). Worried that putting in a loop at that corner (per your video) with the tubing, would create that same stress point. Probably not a problem if you are 165 lbs, but I come in at 215 and that may be too much alteration of the design - so the rings stay.

For us heavier hammock hangers that have the BMBH - make sure you are hooking into the bottom of the ring. When you sit on your hammock and apply the weight, the full strength of that webbing is loaded EVENLY along the entire length of that side of the hammock. If you hook you notch into the top of the ring, it adds localized stress to that stitching and could create an unpleasant experience.

For those who are visual - look at the picture attached. For those who have never seen the flat lay of the hammock with a pad in the sleeve, look at the second picture and notice the board flat lay of the BMBH. It holds this position even when you are in the hammock. Like having your bed in the sky.

Spreader_InRing.jpg BMBH_wPad.jpg
    Very interesting post, thanks! I have 3 JRB bridge hammocks: the sho nuff original, with the pad pocket and removable net(still love that). I was one of the very first folks to obtain one of these, must have been about 2007. I think it is nearly identical to what they now call the deluxe, which has a zipped net. I used this original to set one of my personal bests along with the JRB MW4, which kept me toasty at about 10F( we don't get many opportunities where I live to test the limits of 0F quilts, being way down south and all.) But this is when it occurred to me that I found it extra easy to stay warm in this bridge hammock used with an UQ that fit it pretty precisely. Absolutely no gaps head to heel, never had to worry about some adjustment changing when I re-positioned, anywhere a body part landed was bound to have some gap free insulation under it and would warm up quickly. Plus it always seemed to me that my top quilts were less draft prone in this narrow, deep hammock. Maybe my imagination, but it just seemed like the shape and depth of the hammock funneled the TQ down on top of me, with less tendency for a draft to open up on the sides. I can't prove it, but it seemed so to me. Regardless, I always liked this combo especially for cold weather. In the warmer weather, I would just leave the UQ at home and slip my torso sized section of WM blue pad into the pad pocket once I got cold at maybe 0400. There definitely was more shoulder room with a pad, and a pad always worked great unlike with some of my gathered end hammocks. But, after I used it a while, I really had no big complaints about shoulder squeeze, and could solve any just by going slightly on my side, which I was prone to do anyway.

I also have what was originally called the UL, which weighed less, was single layer and had a zipped net. It was also less deep than the original, which I always thought gave me more shoulder room than the original. Just because I am not so deep down into the hammock. This hammock has also worked great with my JRB quilts, keeping me toasty at 25F with the MW3/Sierra Sniveler, without any of my usual tricks of layering or VB clothing. I have not used a pad with it, but I bet I could get it done even with no pad pocket.

Currently I have been playing with their newest: JRB James River. Single layer with a whopping weight of 8 or 9 oz, a whopping 18 oz even counting spreader bars. This has proven to be a very comfy hammock, lots more shoulder room than the original(for those who were concerned with that, and has worked perfectly with their UQs. I especially love it with their short UQs, which gives me gap free warmth from top of my head to well below my butt, maybe about my knees. It feels similar to my WBRR in many ways, but I think it has more room for my knees when in fetal, and does not require quite as much distance between trees. It also is quite workable with my Neoair pad, even without a pad pocket. Hard for me to choose between this hammock and the WB, each has some minor pros and cons.

With all my long experience with JRB bridge hammocks, this is the first I am hearing about the importance of attaching the spreader bar on the low point of the rings. I couldn't tell you where I have attached mine all these years. Where did you learn about this? I will pay attention to this next time I hang them. Thanks for the tip!

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    RingCorrect.jpg topRing_Wrong.jpg BMBH_Foot.jpg

Yeah, I actually had one rip and Peter Pan got me squared away. The first picture is under load and you can see it attached on the bottom side of the ring pretty good. This makes sure you are loading that webbing that runs the length evenly. The second picture is the spreader bar notched on the top and this is incorrect. You can see where the stitching and that top corner are under a lot of stress. This is where mine ripped.

The last picture is a view from inside. With my NeoAir pad inserted, it gives me a road bed surface and I do not sink deep into the hammock and thus, no shoulder squeeze. Just like laying in your bed in the house - flat.

This still gives me a challenge as I am in search for a top quilt and want to ensure when I roll on my side (which I do very easily), do not want to expose the backside to a draft.

Images
    Thanks, Bro! You learn something every day! I will pay more attention to that in the future.

Bridge Hammock

Hey wanted to say thanks for this tread, I am 65 sleeping in hammocks for two years and have been sleeping full time in a DIY gathered end hammock for 4 months and love it . I just bought a 2018 JRB bridge hammock from this forum because it seemed as they might have a flatter lay from what I have read. I tried it Friday night and I just hated it, the shoulder squeeze was terrible, I barley slept. I was all set to sell it.

Then yesterday I read this thread about putting a air pad in the pocket. Tonight I added my 1.5" thermarest pad and laid in it and my first impression is its a completely different lay. I felt so good I am going to test it on a work night.

Also I checked out your spreader bar ring tip and yep 50% of mine were opposite. Also I did not go back and read your thread but I realized there is a correct way to put the spreader bar on the bottom of the ring, you can have it on the bottom but have the loop rotated a half turn off.

Thanks for all your help, I will update you in then morning how I slept

Ok I definitely slept better last night with the air pad in the sleeve but now it feels almost too hard and flat. I did not feel like I was being gently cradled like in a gathered end hammock. When I got up to go to the bathroom at 4:30 in the morning I let a little air out of the pad and it felt better. Is there a little fiddling to do to get a feel that right for the individual person ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Ok I definitely slept better last night with the air pad in the sleeve but now it feels almost too hard and flat. I did not feel like I was being gently cradled like in a gathered end hammock. When I got up to go to the bathroom at 4:30 in the morning I let a little air out of the pad and it felt better. Is there a little fiddling to do to get a feel that right for the individual person ?
    Well, letting air out will make it softer and less flat side to side, and you will, at some point, lose some of the insulation. But, def something to play around with to find what is best for you.

About how you hated it without a pad. Though it might not help you any, I feel like I should give you a heads up on my experience. I got one of the original BMBHs- the one with the removable net- back about 2007 or so, maybe 08, whenever they first came out. I literally had one of the first few made. Within a few days, I ended up returning it for a full refund. I felt like the shoulder squeeze was ridiculous, it seemed very unstable, and I had no UQs at that time(except for a Speer Pea Pod which would not work with a bridge), and I had no wide pads, so I had no good way to insulate it. ( I did not think to place my Speer SPE inside of it, which would have worked fine). There were some things I loved about it, mainly leg comfort when on my back(zero calf ridge and zero knee extension) and superior for side sleeping, no side torque.

But between what I thought was too much shoulder squeeze, and no way to insulate it with out spending more money, I sort of panicked and returned it while I could still get all my money back. But as a couple of months went by, I got to thinking how comfy it was in the legs, and how even with the shoulder squeeze, I was still over all quite comfy if I just rested my hands across my chest. So, I decided I had to give it another chance, so I got another one. And later I ended up with a JRB UQ which worked like a charm from the word go, none of that gap business or endless fiddling to find the right UQ adjustment. Just attach it and done.

Well, I admit there was some learning curve. It was a psychological thing, I came to realize that I was not having any actual uncomfortable squeeze like I do in a gathered end hammock that is adjusted too tight, with not enough sag. Instead, te hammock has a fixed U- curve, and it forced my shoulders into exactly the same position as if I fold my arms across my chest, something I called "the Ed Sullivan" pose. Only old timers will know what that is. Like this sort of: https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/ne...?adppopup=true

Anyway, I finally realized I often sleep like this anyway, or close to it. And if I did this, there was no discomfort in my shoulders, and the rest of me was probably more comfy than any other hammock. And if I was worried about that, just going very slightly(barely) to my side and leaning back into the side(which I really like to do) put one shoulder up in the air, so squeeze was impossible. Or of course, just full side position, no shoulder squeeze. Bottom line, I went on to have many a nice sleep in that hammock, at least as comfy overall as any other and more comfy than most. And the deep, narrow aspect of it turned out to be an advantage, seemed to me, for quilt use. It seemed to make it easier to keep the TQ draft free, sort of "funneled" the quilt down on top of me, and the UQ fit so snug from my back to up above my shoulder.

I have so many highly rated hammocks, including 4 bridges. Two JRBs( the UL and James River especially) and one WBRR all have noticeably more shoulder room that that original JRB, which I think has a similar cut to what you have, the Deluxe. But really, I don't much care. Because I know I can have a totally comfy sleep in my original. And it is one of my fav winter hammocks, because of the way my quilts fit, and so easy to add a pad if I need some warmth boost. The reason I am telling you all of this is to say: don't give up too quickly on that hammock, even without a pad. There might just be a little learning curve involved for you to achieve a really comfy sleep. Or not. But that is how it worked for me. Good luck!

Again , thanks for the feedback

Last night was much better, I think the problem the first night was the completely flat lay and my shoulders were not supported like they are in a regular hammock and my neck and shoulder muscles were sore from hanging. I let air out of the pad until it rolled enough to touch my shoulders gently and it made all the difference. I am not sure where to test next . A little more air or a little less air. Hopefully its a big window and not that fussy, you just some support !!

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Hi, I just received an email from Craig asking for tips on getting the the right hang. I figure others could benefit from the response so I am posting it here:

"Hi Craig!

We have a video about the BMBH that may be helpful. https://youtu.be/b9zk_WvbUSI

I switched from a gathered end to the BMBH back in 2008 and a few things I have learned is that proper tension is key to getting a comfortable hang. A good guideline is when you set up your hammock make sure the bug net is zipped closed and tension the suspension to where the bugnet is flat across the top but not too taught.

Also playing with the difference in height of the head and foot can make a big difference. I prefer to have the head end slightly higher than the foot end (the complete opposite of how I hang a gathered end).

A pad will make it flat but for me it also makes it feel very tippy. The deflating of a pad does help but for me it is still too tippy and not as comfortable as an underquilt.

One trick I have seen used to reduce shoulder squeeze is a couple of sections of a Therma-Rest Z-rest in the pad pocket where your shoulders.

I had minimal issues with the shoulder squeeze and it bothered me way less than the calf ridge I got in my old Hennessey.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know!"
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Hi, I just received an email from Craig asking for tips on getting the the right hang. I figure others could benefit from the response so I am posting it here:

"Hi Craig!

We have a video about the BMBH that may be helpful. https://youtu.be/b9zk_WvbUSI

I switched from a gathered end to the BMBH back in 2008 and a few things I have learned is that proper tension is key to getting a comfortable hang. A good guideline is when you set up your hammock make sure the bug net is zipped closed and tension the suspension to where the bugnet is flat across the top but not too taught.

Also playing with the difference in height of the head and foot can make a big difference. I prefer to have the head end slightly higher than the foot end (the complete opposite of how I hang a gathered end).

A pad will make it flat but for me it also makes it feel very tippy. The deflating of a pad does help but for me it is still too tippy and not as comfortable as an underquilt.

One trick I have seen used to reduce shoulder squeeze is a couple of sections of a Therma-Rest Z-rest in the pad pocket where your shoulders.

I had minimal issues with the shoulder squeeze and it bothered me way less than the calf ridge I got in my old Hennessey.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know!"
    What GGrav said! I forgot to mention that anything that helps elevate my torso- like a bit of CCF pad in the pad pocket or hammock, and or a nice sized pillow, helps improve shoulder roominess, in the same way that a full length pad does. Though maybe not as much as a thick pad does, but enough to help. I really like pillows with my bridge hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast