Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Insulation is the big ticket item, while hammocks are relatively cheap, or very vey cheap if you make your own. Plus many of us have more than one hammock. So cost and versatility are in favor of modular systems.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Here's another example of a hammock with built in insulation from a UK vendor https://easyhammock.co.uk/ pretty good value for someone starting out, especially given the relatively moderate weather in the UK. Only available with synthetic which is probably more practical for more casual users.

As someone already mentioned, the concern would if you damage one component the whole rig is out of action. I'm also not convinced about the design which has two seams either end, where the gathered ends join the insulated central part. The general concept looks pretty sound and from what I have seen on-line the workmanship looks to be of a high standard.

I think where it would be very useful would be for a family that needed to kit out mum, dad and two children, for three season camping trips. It would also be good as a spare for guests that you're trying to introduce to the hammock life. I thought about getting one just to keep in the back of the car all the time, just in case I needed a bed for the night unexpectedly.

Matthew was very professional and responsive when I asked a few questions. Unlike every other UK vendor I have attempted to converse with on-line. I have no connection to Matthew, and I have never personally hung in or physically seen one of his hammocks up close and personal.

You guys in the States are spoilt for choice compared to us in the UK. It gets a bit expensive importing hammock gear from the US all the time. It's nice to see some hammock design and innovation occurring over here.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yeah, that kind of weight jumps out at you, but that's for the synthetic version. There's a down version about half that weight.
    ok, that's more like it!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I love my Bonefire Whisper. In the PNW there are very few days a year i could do without any bottom insulation, and zero where I can’t tolerate any. I was drawn to the unmatched material economy (packed space and weight) of integrating quilt with hammock. It’s 2lbs with zipped bugnet and peak bag, double layer, comfortable to 30F. Packs to size of cantaloupe. That’s a minimalist dream. Easy to take into teens or maybe lower with reflectix pad between layers and/or UQP. It also sets up and packs away faster than separates. There are zero drafts possible. (I’m told that even the Wookie can have some draft issues.) I have other hammocks and separate quilts, and they have some nice points lacking in the Bonefire, but i keep reaching for the Whisper as best all-rounder, very clean, simple, complete.

It’s my understanding Brother Bones closed shop for family rather than business reasons. I think Alex at Sheltowee (also great insulated hammocks, more generously cut than Bonefire and accordingly more comfortable and bulkier/heavier) has an understanding with Bonefire to continue to produce the Whisper, but haven’t heard whether that’s an active proposition.

I understand that in the early days of automobiles, when cars were affordable only to a few wealthy enthusiasts, that everything was modular. Buyer picked from a list of several different horns, steering wheels, headlamps, etc., all bespoke. Why should your car come with mudguards when you live in a dry climate and you could always fit third-party aftermarket mudguards if you changed your mind? This is characteristic of young, early adopter markets. As those markets grow and mature, fewer people prize modularity over the simplicity and economy of fully integrated designs, which often (not always) look, feel, and work better than cobbled-together modular setups.

I see insulated hammocks the same way: a sign of a maturing market, where buyers are ready to pay good money to make fewer, not more choices, confident that it will all just work with a minimum of fuss.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-25-2019 at 01:05.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Cars and hammocks are not apples to oranges. I have already invested in modular, and modular I shall remain for reasons others have so brilliantly explained. Modular will always be better with hammocks IMHO. Hammocks are pretty reasonable overall, and most that camp can afford one. Maybe not the costlier Cuben Fiber tarps, but everything else is doable unless you are outfitting a large family.

Hammock
    SWAYY Premus
    Tarp
    SWAYY nSync
    Insulation
    Primaloft 3.0 oz
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Yeah, that kind of weight jumps out at you, but that's for the synthetic version. There's a down version about half that weight.
    Hey Guys,

Seth here, the Founder of Swayy. I just wanted to say that the Premus (synthetic version) was 6.1 lbs, but the new synthetic version will be just over 4lbs for a better comfort temp rating.

As far as quality, we have a lifetime guarantee and stand by our every product. We couple our system altogether to save money at the end of the day for the end-user/customer. For me, it's a problem I had and wanted to make it happen. We have sold hundreds of hammocks with less than 1% returns, and 0 of those were due to quality, just preference.

Thanks for all the buzz. Would love to answer any questions you might have. Call me up at (828) 448-8767 or email me: [email protected]

Cheers!
    Seth, Founder of Swayy
    swayyhammocks.com
    Last edited by SWAYY Hammocks; 11-25-2019 at 10:16.
    Seth T. Hill
    Founder & CEO at SWAYY

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Looks like everyone forgot all about the best insulated hammock, Superior Hammocks. https://superiorgear.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Modular hammocks allow you to match the insulation you need with the hammock. I am under the impression that insulated hammocks aren't commercially successful because it's a bit kludgy to change the temps you're trying to achieve. Let's say you have a 20* insulated hammock and want to sleep at 0* F. You're going to have to supplement that 20* insulated hammock with another UQ anyway, so why not just go modular in the first place?

Sheltowee is about the only insulated hammock vendor around right now. There was another vendor, BoneFire Gear, but they didn't last long. I would be hesitant to try Sway Hammocks because I've personally never heard of them, and I don't like the idea of insulated hammocks anyway - I'll stick with modular.
    I don't agree with the changing temps thing here at all, I find the static temp rating actually works in its favor (granted I live in Canada so I'm not dealing with super high temp hangs but we do sometimes get some pretty warm nights). I have a 30 degree Bonefire Whisper and has been my go-to for years now. I have had constant issues over the years fiddling with under quilts until I bought this hammock and it solved all my issues. I have been hanging in temps in the 80's overnight and as low as -40 with it, I just stack another quilt with it to bolster it's rating just as SilvrSurfr says. So it's modular already, without having to bring an extra underquilt but also, every insulated hammock I've seen is a double layer and accepts a pad for when it's really cold and two quilts just don't quite do it. Is it as modular as a hammock and all the separate pieces, no, but it's a heck of a lot simpler and I have never had a cold spot except in extreme cold as it naturally deals with drafts by inherent design.

I think the issue around why people don't buy them as frequently is the initial investment, not the hammock design. When first selecting hammocks, you can buy one underquilt and try different hammocks. That's harder with built-in insulation. I will say this, I wish that I had bought the insulated version first, that would have been the end of my search.

Sheltowee acquired the rights to make the BoneFire Whisper, so while Jeremey isn't making them, they are still alive unless something has changed.

Edit: Just saw @Latherdomes comment as hadn't read all the way to the bottom. He covered same and some other points that also are the reason I still go to the Whisper for nearly every trip.
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I hate to admit it but the post about losing the hammock means losing the insulation - this would be my hesitation. I too have never washed my UQ for exactly same reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12