Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images

Insulated Hammocks

Hey guys,

I just learned about the Swayy hammocks ( https://www.swayyhammocks.com/insulated-hammocks-shop ), and I think that it looks intriguing. My question is not so much about this particular hammock but more a general question. I was just wondering if anyone has used any of these types of hammocks and why they are not more common? There must be a reason that most hammocks use the modular system instead of this? It looks like with this system there would be no fiddling with the UQ to make sure that there are no air gaps, so I was just wondering if there was a reason most hammocks are modular instead of having at least some built-in insulation seeing as how 90% of the time a hammock is going to need at least a little insulation. I was just curious because it has my DIY brain tingling a bit.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I havent used them but have check out Sheltowee hammocks from Alex Gash, they are pretty sweet!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I havent used them but have check out Sheltowee hammocks from Alex Gash, they are pretty sweet!
    Those do look like great hammocks and are more in line with what I am asking about. It just seems logical to me to have built-in insulation but there must be a reason that everyone uses under quilts.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicpathetic View Post
    Those do look like great hammocks and are more in line with what I am asking about. It just seems logical to me to have built-in insulation but there must be a reason that everyone uses under quilts.
    The insulated hammocks are just newer and still catching on, plus people have their preferred brands they enjoy!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Modular hammocks allow you to match the insulation you need with the hammock. I am under the impression that insulated hammocks aren't commercially successful because it's a bit kludgy to change the temps you're trying to achieve. Let's say you have a 20* insulated hammock and want to sleep at 0* F. You're going to have to supplement that 20* insulated hammock with another UQ anyway, so why not just go modular in the first place?

Sheltowee is about the only insulated hammock vendor around right now. There was another vendor, BoneFire Gear, but they didn't last long. I would be hesitant to try Sway Hammocks because I've personally never heard of them, and I don't like the idea of insulated hammocks anyway - I'll stick with modular.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    I use one for 3seasons in my neck of the woods...for the summer heat I either change hammocks or hang at altitude where the cool mountain breezes blow. They're slightly quicker to set up.

Mine's good to 0°c or 32°f. If it's windy or a cold front is sweeping through I'll add a UQ protector.
    If the forecast is for temps down below -10°c I'll add another Under Quilt, layered.

You can add insulation to this system but you can't take it away to cool down. Good for cool Temperate climates...borderline for SubTropics where i reside & a sweatbox in the Tropics.

A split system is just more versatile...
    Last edited by ofuros; 11-24-2019 at 13:22.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Modular hammocks allow you to match the insulation you need with the hammock. I am under the impression that insulated hammocks aren't commercially successful because it's a bit kludgy to change the temps you're trying to achieve. Let's say you have a 20* insulated hammock and want to sleep at 0* F. You're going to have to supplement that 20* insulated hammock with another UQ anyway, so why not just go modular in the first place?

Sheltowee is about the only insulated hammock vendor around right now. There was another vendor, BoneFire Gear, but they didn't last long. I would be hesitant to try Sway Hammocks because I've personally never heard of them, and I don't like the idea of insulated hammocks anyway - I'll stick with modular.
    Yeah, I guess that does make sense. Either way, you will have to have multiple hammocks or multiple under quilts, right? I use a Clark and have never really needed an underquilt so I am probably missing something, I think maybe I will understand better once my new UQ comes in and I try it out. I just don't understand how one can get hot with an underquilt, can't a sheet or lighter top quilt be used? It totally makes sense for backpacking though, not carrying what you don't need.

Thanks for the insight y'all.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    6 pounds? Really? What does that compress down to? I have a PeaPod, with a Grand Trunk 10.oz. hammock it's no where near 6 pounds, how do you pack that?
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    6 pounds? Really? What does that compress down to? I have a PeaPod, with a Grand Trunk 10.oz. hammock it's no where near 6 pounds, how do you pack that?
    Yeah, that kind of weight jumps out at you, but that's for the synthetic version. There's a down version about half that weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I could live with having different hammocks for different temperature ranges. I have lots of hammocks anyway. The main problems I have with the concept are:

• I try to avoid washing my insulation because it's a PITA and performance decreases somewhat with each washing. I have to wash my sleeping bags / top quilts now and then, because I'm in direct contact. But I never wash my underquilts, because they don't get soiled. However, I do wash my hammocks frequently. With an insulated hammock you automatically wash the underquilt when you wash the hammock. If it's filled with down, this makes the process way more labor-intensive and tedious.
    • If treated carefully, underquilts don't show any wear and tear. Hammocks do. If you should damage your hammock irreparably, you can bin the underquilt as well.
    • I'm pretty picky with regards to hammocks. I don't like stretch and too much sag. It would be difficult to find a insulated hammock that fulfills my requirements.

I found that the Wooki works almost as well as an integrated underquilt, but preserves the versatility. I can see an insulated hammock be very useful for hanging at very low temperatures, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast