Newer hammock camper using it for bikepacking

So I have recently discovered both hammock camping and bikepacking and could really use help refining my setup. I have an Alpkit hammock (fine, straps are a bit heavy and there is no storage pocket), a Marmot Trestles 20C long bag (too bulky when packed up 9.5x19 in stuff sack), Klymit Insulated Static V (not warm, also won't stay in place which wakes me up), ALPS Mountaineering inflatable pillow (fine), MSR Groundhog stakes (fine) and I borrowed a ENO rainfly from a friend (I think it was a Profly but it took up a lot of room). I was camping in high 20s/low 30s and while it wasn't terrible with that stuff plus smartwool socks, down jacket and thermal underwear more warmth wouldn't hurt. But I am also a warm sleeper. I'd like to upgrade to a Hammock Gear 40C Economy Incubator (I am assuming the Incubator makes more sense then a Phoenix), a topquilt (I am unsure which.), buy a rainfly (don't know which) and add a Dutchware Storage pocket. I am trying to stay under $400 without DIY and I want to make sure this combo of the underquilt, topquilt and rainfly end up taking up less room in my front roll then the current bag, pad and rainfly. Weight is less of an issue then size. I mean I don't want to add a ton of it but I don't have to worry about an oz here or there. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You should check out the HG Wanderlust kit as it's a great way to get started with a complete kit.
    https://hammockgear.com/the-wanderlu...mmock-camping/

Oh, and welcome to the forums from a fellow Huntsvillian.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    I love Bikepacking! In my opinion an investment in quality quilts is unparalleled. Good quality down quilts pack down fairly small for the amount of warmth they provide. In my opinion the UQ is the most important. I have a UGQ 0*+2oz OS TQ/UQ set. My front bag on my bike holds my ENTIRE sleep system. My system consists of the quilt set, my DIY 1.0 HyperD Hammock, beanie, wool socks, and my smartwool onezie. This amount of insulation is probably overkill for most but I'm a cold sleeper so the weight is worth the comfort. All of that fits into a 35L eVent bag that is rolled down and put into a smaller supplemental drybag then strapped onto the handlebars/headtube. My suspension, tarp, cook kit, and food all go in a separate bag strapped to the back.

You do not need a sleeping pad AND quilts the way you need a sleeping pad and a sleeping bag. Investing in quilts will eliminate the need for a sleeping pad and clear up a lot of room in your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Bear View Post
    I love Bikepacking! In my opinion an investment in quality quilts is unparalleled. Good quality down quilts pack down fairly small for the amount of warmth they provide. In my opinion the UQ is the most important. I have a UGQ 0*+2oz OS TQ/UQ set. My front bag on my bike holds my ENTIRE sleep system. My system consists of the quilt set, my DIY 1.0 HyperD Hammock, beanie, wool socks, and my smartwool onezie. This amount of insulation is probably overkill for most but I'm a cold sleeper so the weight is worth the comfort. All of that fits into a 35L eVent bag that is rolled down and put into a smaller supplemental drybag then strapped onto the handlebars/headtube. My suspension, tarp, cook kit, and food all go in a separate bag strapped to the back.

You do not need a sleeping pad AND quilts the way you need a sleeping pad and a sleeping bag. Investing in quilts will eliminate the need for a sleeping pad and clear up a lot of room in your pack.
    Yeah I figured I would be getting rid of the bag and pad. I had an Alpkit 20ltr dry bag in a harness on the front which had the sleeping bag, pad, suspension, hammock, tarp, pillow. But it was full to the point that it didn't close in such a way that it would actually act as a drybag. I just need to lose some size so it can actually roll up, buckle and be a dry bag. The rain fly and bag ate up 90% of the room so I can get those smaller I could get it all in easily.

I had some warm clothes/cook kit in the saddle bag, snacks in a top tube bag, some odds and end in a small hydration backpack and actual food in a small drybag strapped on top of my front bag. I am planning on making a frame bag to get some of this weight more in the center and lower.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; 11-22-2019 at 15:05.

I currently have this hammock https://www.alpkit.com/products/mora-hammock and I don't feel the need to replace it but do I need an 11ft or 12ft tarp? What is the difference in D-rings and Lineloc 3s in this tarp? https://hammockgear.com/the-quest/ What do the tie out options mean on this one https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wi...line-tie-outs?

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Drop the pillow. Use your puffy as a pillow. Take your tarp outta the drybag there is no need to keep it dry. That should free up enough space in your current 20L bag. I know you said that you don't want to DIY but my first quilt set was a mummy bag I butchered after watching some SHUG videos. WOOO BUDDY!! It was super simple and gave me the confidence to attempt other DIY projects. Also, on another note, I would get into the practice of having a seperate stuff sack for your suspension. I hammock/ride in all weather. My suspension is often wet. I always keep it with my tarp, the first two things out and setup when its raining or snowing. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I tried for awhile sleeping with the different pads that they sold but they ALWAYS will slide out from under you. That was the motivation behind getting quilts. Money was the factor for why I butchered a mummy to make quilts. Making those ugly quilts led to making my own stuff sacks. Then hammocks. Then suspensions. Then tarps. Then rain gear. Once you realize how much cheaper and rewarding DIY is you'll never look at gear the same. I would encourage you to get a really cheap thread injector and start making stuff sacks. These are very easy to make, don't cost a lot in materials, and will let you learn the basics of designing your own gear. If you mess up, no big deal, it's a small amount of material anyway.

Those skills I learned in my free time ended up landing me my current job. I currently work for an outdoor gear manufacturer in product development. I literally get paid to break gear and develop it stronger.

I love DIY in general but it is a matter of time right now. I am deep in the middle of several of house renovation projects, have an autocross car that really needs a suspension rebuild, a old 26in mtb to gravel bike conversion in the works, making a frame bag and a few other random projects and I can't see myself getting the time before doing some more camping/ bikepacking trips in the fall.

The pillow is probably the size of my fist. It is tiny deflated but I could probably live without it.

That is a good point on the tarp and suspension. I didn't think about that... I have a Porclein Rocket 8ltr seatpack bag. I could move the clothes into the front and put the rain fly and suspension in the back with rain gear and cook stuff.

Either way I still need rain fly since I was borrowing one.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I currently have this hammock https://www.alpkit.com/products/mora-hammock and I don't feel the need to replace it but do I need an 11ft or 12ft tarp? What is the difference in D-rings and Lineloc 3s in this tarp? https://hammockgear.com/the-quest/ What do the tie out options mean on this one https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wi...line-tie-outs?
    Your right in not needing to replace the hammock. You could certainly upgrade what your using to gather the ends, hardware, and suspension. I would install Continuous Loops made of Amsteel to gather the ends. I would then drop the carabiner altogether and upgrade to either whoopie hooks or cinch bugs depending on your prefered method of suspension. Whoops are lighter. I would also add a ridgeline made of zingit so you're guaranteed to have a flat hang everytime. It may not feel like a lot of weight but once you weigh everything that you removed your will be shocked at the weight saving.

Tarps just like everything hammock related are a matter of preference. The size will depend on your own weight vs covered beliefs. I personally take my HH Hex everywhere. It is definitely heavy but that thing is indestructible and I love the amount of covered it offers. One damp night can ruin a trip and be hard to dry back out from. Every hanger makes sacrifices here and there based on what they feel is the most important.
    The difference between the 2 different pieces is basically adjustability. Both will allow porch mode but the line loc allows you to tighten it down at the hardware.
    Most tarp hardware is made for quick adjustment vs tieing knots.

You should check out Dutch's site thoroughly. Most of his items have instructional videos on how to set them up and use them correctly. You would be hard pressed to find an item he produces that doesn't have a lot of thought and testing into it. There is a reason people obsess over Dutch's ~BLING~.

The other one to watch is SHUG! WOO BUDDY! He is so educational and entertaining to watch. Shug is really who ignited my passion for hammocks. I was interested until I watched his videos and saw all that was possible with hammocks. From then on I was passionate about preaching the hammock gospel.

• + New Posts