Hammock
    DIY 11' hammock
    Insulation
    Frankenbag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

1st Real World Hang... Wish Me Luck!

So after what seems an age since making my 1st proper hammock (credit Jellyfish's Nova hammock series), I am FINALLY getting out on a scout camp and giving it a try. Took me way longer than I expected to initially set up the tarp, hammock and UQ. Tightening, adjusting, re-adjusting, re-re-adjusting, loosening, adjusting again. But after all the faff I think I eventually got it to where I wanted it. Only tonight will tell...

I'm pretty sure my chosen tress are ever so slightly too close together as the 12' winter tarp only just becomes taught really close to the trees, same with the whoopie slings on the hammock.

I'm camping all weekend so I imagine there will be updates throughout!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11' hammock
    Insulation
    Frankenbag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Forgot to add photos!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Nice looking tarp. Have fun with your scouts!
    Charlotte

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Looks cozy and well deployed, though the hammock itself isn't visible. Hopefully the foot end is a bit higher than head.

Tree distance looks fine to me. I've hung with my 11' tarp having barely a couple of inches to spare on each end and it is fine.

I hope it went well. Quilts often take some tweaking to eliminate all drafts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11' hammock
    Insulation
    Frankenbag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    First night report. Very comfortable although I did end up with some gapping between hammock and UQ but to be honest, I wasn't anticipating it to be perfect first night.

I used 3 of my 4 hammock tie outs, because it is so wide (~70") I figured I would try and use them but naturally it just prevented the UQ from sitting naturally.

Last night only got down to 7°C (~45°F) so not nearly cold enough to test the limits of the 7.5oz climashield. I was however a little chilly on top but that's down to using a very old, modified sleeping bag turned TQ.

I wasn't quite expecting how loud the rain sounded though, I've been tent camping for about 20 years but I've never noticed/experienced rain that loud. I suppose it could be a number of factors, firstly the fact that being under trees (something I've always actively avoided in a tent) where the water droplets coming off of the trees a larger than the actual rain droplets.

This morning I tightened up all parts of the UQ and seemed to eradicate the UQ gap, only time will tell tonight!

Thank you for the reassuring comments. Looking at it again in the light I think I'm somewhat in that perfect distance range between trees, the hammock was fairly level, but again, I've made some adjustments this morning.

I'm sure I'll post another update tomorrow, further ironing out some creases, or maybe even creating new ones!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Congratulations on the success of your first hang! It sounds like you were pretty well prepared for what was coming before you went out.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Looks great.. sounds like you had a good first night.

Sometimes all you need is one hammock tie out. For me it's the head end on the head side, just to keep the fabric from going on your face. And you can take the line down to the tarps stake on that corner or the tarps corner hardware, which is what I do. It takes very little tension on the hammock to pull the fabric out so connecting to the tarps corner hardware doesn't interfere with tarp and it saves you a stake.. maybe more if you're using multiple side pullouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts