Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey 11Ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Set
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

More Newbie Questions

With the holiday deals coming up, I am about to pull the trigger on my first full hammock setup. I am going with a full Hammock Gear setup: 20 degree Incubator Econ (Under Quilt) with 1oz of overstuff, 20 degree Burrow Econ (Top Quilt) with 1oz of overstuff, and an 11 ft. Journey (Tarp with doors). I am also going to buy a single layer Dream Hammock; I am still trying to figure out which one to go with. I am most likely going to go with a ready to ship model and I believe all of them are 11 ft. The quilt combo and tarp would run me about $585 ($37 Tax Already Added) with 15% off, PLUS the hammock purchase. I could also not buy the tarp and that would run around 390 (tax added) with a 10% discount. I feel like this is the best bang for buck as far as cost to quality goes, but here are my questions.

Questions:
    1. Should I buy the tarp? If so what size tarp should i get? 11 FT. or 12 FT. (I feel like I am going to buy a tarp eventually)
    2. Do you think this setup is too much weight to do some decent hiking/backpacking?
    3. Is this the best cost to quality other than DIY?
    4. Do you think the quilt ratings are good for my first quilts? (I live in Texas)
    5. Should I go with all one brand? Or this brand in general? (I have heard loads of good things)
    6. Any changes I should make? Any changes YOU would make?

Sorry for all the questions, but the time has come. Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks again y'all

ANNDDD if you have not heard, Hammock Gears sale is 10% off $1-$499, 15% off $500-$999, and 20% off $1000 +. The sale is 11/25 TO 12/2

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Looks like good gear. Reputable brands by cottage vendors are good choices, that you will probably enjoy. And if not, those brands are easy to sell in case you see something else that you want further down the trail.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    1. With an 11 foot or shorter gathered end hammock, I would avoid the 12 foot tarp and stay with the 11 as it will provide plenty of coverage. Many people disagree, but I've been in several situations where I could hang my 11 foot tarp but a 12 would have been too long.

2/3/6. No, your proposed setup is not too heavy for backpacking. Personally, I prefer 3/4 length quilts though as they pack smaller, cost less, and weigh less-plus being 5'7", my HG Phoenix gives me most full coverage anyway. The HG Econ series and similar options from other vendors are the best cost/benefit balance out there, IMO-probably including MYOG.

5. You're just going to have to give it a shot and see what works for you. Watch Shug's beginner series several times before you set up and then again after your first attempts and you'll probably figure out what changes you need to make. BE PATIENT. It takes a while to dial everything in.

Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions as they arise!

4. No need to stay with one brand, although most here would strongly recommend that you stay with one our cottage vendors. One more bit of advice, don't feel like you're locked into the first thing you buy. If something isn't working for you, feel free to change it out for something else. As long as you buy good quality gear, it's simple to resell it and minimize the damage. Also, don't hesitate to buy used-you can get some great deals that way!

=
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 11-22-2019 at 07:31.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    FYI unless Texas charges taxes HG doesn't charge you tax, I know it shows tax in the cart but that's an Ohio tax and once you go to the shipping page and put your address in it will remove the tax. don't forget to sign up for HG's messenger list receive free shipping on your first order.

there's are 2i HG burrows for sale in the for sale section of this forum for a good price if you can do without the over stuff. one burrow is the Econ while the other burrow

burrow 1: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ow-JetBoil-Zip

burrow 2: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-KAQ-New-River
    Last edited by soul embrace; 11-22-2019 at 07:21.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! Take some time to look around and educate yourself before you go all in. That said, it looks like you've found a good setup to get in the trees.

1. Yes, definitely get the tarp. Unless you plan to only camp in sunny, windless weather you're going to need it. If you have other camping gear (sleeping bag and pad) you can make those work in the hammock.

2. Only you can answer this question. How much weight have you comfortably hiked with? Does this setup weigh more or less?

3. This one comes down to personal preference as well. Our cottage vendors all make quality gear. Pick one and stick with them, or spread the wealth and try them all. Either way you'll end up with gear that will serve you well.

4. What are the expected low temps where and when you plan to camp? 20° is usually the recommended first set, but it you won't go out below 40° it's more than you will need.

5. My answer to #3 applies here as well.

6. Quilts rated to the temps you plan to hang in, setup properly (get help with this, preferably from an experienced hanger)
    You say you plan to buy a Dream Hammock, why not do that now? What hammock do you have to use with the new setup?

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datboijon View Post
    I am also going to buy a single layer Dream Hammock; I am still trying to figure out which one to go with.
    I see that you are from Texas, if Texas is anything like Louisiana mosquito-wise, you may want to ask around about single/double layer. A double layer is supposed to offer more mosquito protection than a single layer. I guess it depends a lot on which fabric you choose, if you play to hang in winter/summer, always use an under-quilt, etc. I'm sure that there are people here more knowledgable than me that can chime in to help.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey 11Ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Set
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I asked that on a previous question because I was juggling with which one to choose. I decided to do single because of less weight and cost. I think I am just going to treat it with permethrin. Thanks for commenting though!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey 11Ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Set
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the comments guys they are really helping me out!

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datboijon View Post
    I asked that on a previous question because I was juggling with which one to choose. I decided to do single because of less weight and cost. I think I am just going to treat it with permethrin. Thanks for commenting though!
    Not to hijack your post, but what was the consensus on single vs double layer? I am getting ready to order another hammock and would love the cost and weight savings of single, but I live in a swamp so....
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey 11Ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Set
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I am going to go with single layer. Some of my reasons are a lot of people think it is more comfortable (all personal preference), I know I am most likely going to use an underquilt pretty much all the time (double layer keeps pad in place), saves weight, saves money, and saves a little bit of volume (packs a little smaller). A lot of people use permethrin to treat ("spray, cover or coat") the hammock, and that keeps bugs away. Permethrin is a substance derived from a flower (the chrysanthemum) that keeps insects away and also kills them. Look into it more because it can be harmful for some small animals like cats. For humans it is relatively safe from my research, but I still plan on looking into it a lot more before I commit to sleeping on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast