Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Bandit Questions

I have spent so long trying to pick a TQ to go with and have finally settled on the Bandit. The awesome UGQ website is super informative, I was really only left with two questions.

1. What are your opinions on the dynamic tension control system? Has it made a big difference? Largely gone unnoticed? Actively a problem?

2. Where do you normally come down on Fill Power? Weight wise the difference seems relatively small so I thought I would see if there is any other difference folks have noticed.

3. Preferences on the pad attachment options? Hoping I will like the quilt enough in my hammock I will want it when I get to bring my kids camping in the future and I will be in a tent with them!
    Last edited by Adroa; 11-21-2019 at 22:09. Reason: Added question 3

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I have spent so long trying to pick a TQ to go with and have finally settled on the Bandit. The awesome UGQ website is super informative, I was really only left with two questions.

1. What are your opinions on the dynamic tension control system? Has it made a big difference? Largely gone unnoticed? Actively a problem?

2. Where do you normally come down on Fill Power? Weight wise the difference seems relatively small so I thought I would see if there is any other difference folks have noticed.

3. Preferences on the pad attachment options? Hoping I will like the quilt enough in my hammock I will want it when I get to bring my kids camping in the future and I will be in a tent with them!
    Haven't used the dynamic tension system but on fill power if weight isn't an issue and size isn't either, save your $$. 800 fp is just fine. UGQ are the bomb.
    Paul, Missy and Crew are awesome

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The difference between 800 and 950 on a zero degree quilt was only 1.5 oz. That was surprising. I’m looking pretty hard at UGQ myself — tensioning system looks useful for draft prevention. I also like it that they use untreated down. I have a 25 year old WM bag that has maintained its loft and I figure why change things.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I will save the money on the down and invest it in my next pack then, appreciate the thoughts!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’m still doing research but wouldn’t 1.5 oz be within manufacturing tolerances? As for compression other threads had mentioned fabric thickness as being just as important, and bulk is important to me. A zero degree TQ is a buy once (and cry once) item so I might just go for 950. If weight and bulk were not a concern I’d just go with a HG Econ.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have the zero degree Bandit and love it. Used 800FP as I couldn't justify the price difference for 1.5 oz.
    I did get 1 oz. overfill in the footbox and 3 oz. in the torso. If doing it over again, I would not overfill the footbox, but go 4 oz. in the torso. (the extra oz. in the footbox makes it almost rigid).
    IMO, this 0/4 oz. overfill combo will take most anyone below zero.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Which footbox style did you go with?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Which footbox style did you go with?
    Full sewn with the fully insulated end piece. For these low temperatures, I didn't want any weak spot.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    I have a Bandit from before they offered the Dynamic Tension Control, so no direct experience, but I wouldn't expect any problems. It's a feature that seems to be gaining popularity.

Katabatic quilts have that feature, Nunatak has it as an option on their quilts (which they call the ETC system), and Warbonnet also offers it as an option for their Diamondback.

Apparently this feature was originally pioneered by Mid Atlantic Mountain Works.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Speaking of Nunatak, they seem to be an outlier with fill weight? Their 5 degree 3D top quilt in a 74" has about 25 oz of 900 FP untreated down. Treated down is apparently a little heavier even. Comparable offerings from UGQ and WB (0 F, 60 width, around 72 length) is about 18 oz or so depending on 850 vs 950 FP, and WB uses treated down. That's a lot of down -- I realize there are no standards, but how can that much difference be even ball park for equivalent temp rating? FWIW, I sleep extremely cold -- I have an HG 20 econ and I would say that's equivalent to 35 for me, and when it's 10 F out I'm under a < zero F Western Mountaineering down bag (it's so old I forget the exact rating) with three layers including a down puffy -- so I'm looking for a super conservative rating in a TQ. My UQ is a zero F wookie, so it's definitely not the case that I'm pushing ratings there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast