Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

ghost pepper topquilt

I'm wanting to order a 40 degree ghost pepper topquilt and I want it to be as lite as possible and have a few questions

1.) I'm 5' 2" and I want the quilt to go to my neck I'm thinking of going with a 65in one instead of the 70" one like my hammock gear topquilts, would this be too short for me?

2.) is the a reason to go with the argon 90 over the argon 67 for the outer shell?

3.) not sure what the taper is on the hammock gear burrow is (just says full taper) but the taper is fine on the burrow....should I go with the 10in or 5in taper?

thanks
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I'm wanting to order a 40 degree ghost pepper topquilt and I want it to be as lite as possible and have a few questions

1.) I'm 5' 2" and I want the quilt to go to my neck I'm thinking of going with a 65in one instead of the 70" one like my hammock gear topquilts, would this be too short for me?

2.) is the a reason to go with the argon 90 over the argon 67 for the outer shell?

3.) not sure what the taper is on the hammock gear burrow is (just says full taper) but the taper is fine on the burrow....should I go with the 10in or 5in taper?

thanks
    If you already have 70" quilts then you just have to decide if you can do without the 5".

Argon 90 on the outside will retain a little more heat and be slightly more durable.

I believe the HG quilts are a 10" taper, but someone else might be able to shed better light on that. I used to make my personal quilts with a 10" taper, but over the past few years I've decided I like the extra kick room of a 5" taper. YMMV.

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    I am 5'3" and have a ghost pepper that is 65" long with 90 argon outer and 67 inner. the taper is 10" which is equivalent to a standard mummy bag. I think the dimensions are perfect for people our size. I also used 900fp, it is so light and so warm!
    Goosefeet gear also makes a down hood that works perfect with the ghost pepper.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilin View Post
    I am 5'3" and have a ghost pepper that is 65" long with 90 argon outer and 67 inner. the taper is 10" which is equivalent to a standard mummy bag. I think the dimensions are perfect for people our size. I also used 900fp, it is so light and so warm!
    Goosefeet gear also makes a down hood that works perfect with the ghost pepper.
    what does yours weigh? I have a black rock beanie that I wear in the cold but for the temps I would be using this in doesn't usually require much on my head. I'm goin to set up my hammock up tonight and sleep in it and tie the end of my HG burrow at 65in and see how it is.

thanks George and Smilin for the replies
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    ordered my ghost pepper this morning.

here are the specs:

Temperature: 40°
    Length: 65in
    Width: 50in
    Fill: 900
    Outside color: Moroccan Blue
    Outside Stitching: Gray
    Inside Color: Charcoal Gray
    Inside Stitching: Blue
    Inside and outside material is Aragon 67
    Taper: 10in full taper
    Footbox: Snap/Drawstring.

now comes the wait and I can't wait to get it and use it
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    my ghost pepper has shipped....
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Looking forward to your comments.. Glad you had ordered the Argon67. The fabric used in quilts has a huge impact on weight. Would have been a shame to go shorter, with 900fp and then use the heavier Argon90 fabric.

What were your thoughts about the Operator and Recon series.. both light and short.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Looking forward to your comments.. Glad you had ordered the Argon67. The fabric used in quilts has a huge impact on weight. Would have been a shame to go shorter, with 900fp and then use the heavier Argon90 fabric.

What were your thoughts about the Operator and Recon series.. both light and short.
    I agree with MikekiM!

I had not seen this thread earlier, but I think you did totally the right thing going with Argon67 inside and out. With reasonable care and handling it will work fine for a long, long time.

I'm guessing that quilt is going to weigh 10oz or so and squish down very small... maybe 2L.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    the quilt is scheduled for delivery this Friday and may set up my tensa4 stand in the house to try it out. I was really trying to make the lightest topquilt possible so going with argon90 just didn't seem like the right choice and I notice that HG does argon67 for both sides of their premium quilts so that's another reason I went with argon67. i'm 5'-5'2" and all my years I've never pulled or had the need to pull the topquilt over my face so the extra 5" wasn't needed. if he offered it I would have went with 950 fill

I looked at both operator and recon series but wanted 40° so that knocked both of them out. don't really need 60° because here in Alabama in the summer sometimes the lows are in the 80s at night. the first time I ever slept in a hammock was during the summer and I had no topquilt or underquilt and slept with shorts on and no shirt and never got cold. in the spring and fall the lows are in the 50s so 40° was fine and didn't want to chance it with a 50° underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree with MikekiM!

I had not seen this thread earlier, but I think you did totally the right thing going with Argon67 inside and out. With reasonable care and handling it will work fine for a long, long time.

I'm guessing that quilt is going to weigh 10oz or so and squish down very small... maybe 2L.
    I take extremely good care of my quilts so I didn't feel the need to go with a heavier material. I will post the weight and a picture of it squished down
    Last edited by soul embrace; 01-15-2020 at 17:59.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Reminds of one of the few regrets I have since starting to hammock years ago.

A custom set of summer quilts were offered for sale a few months ago. Both quilts were in 7D. with 900 or 950 fp. I knew the seller personally.. hiked and camped with him a few times and knew how he cared for his gear. Weights were ridiculously low. Price was great and I loved the color. But summer had just ended and I figured I had my quilts well enough sorted. I ended up replacing all of my economy quilts this year.. and in retrospect, I wish I bought those UL quilts.

Happy you got what you were looking for. Friday will be here soon enough
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast