Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Interesting URL - not very well known and doesn't appear very reputable. However, the info on permethrin seems basically accurate. While deadly to aquatic organisms and cats, permethrin doesn't seem to have much of an effect on humans or dogs or horses.

Sorry, but I'm not on your "essential oils" bandwagon. From what I've read, their efficacy can be measured in minutes, not hours. I know permethrin works for me - ticks don't go near my clothing if properly sprayed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    ditto with SilvrSufr. Permethrin is also used in shampoo to control/kill head lice
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...doesn't seem to have much of an effect on humans or dogs or horses.

Sorry, but I'm not on your "essential oils" bandwagon. From what I've read, their efficacy can be measured in minutes, not hours. I know permethrin works for me - ticks don't go near my clothing if properly sprayed.
    That's pretty much what the dog owners I warned said before their precious pets died.

I see from your point of view. I manage over 100k worth of forested property that could be cheaply treated with the stuff. However, I've chosen to avoid the potential of contaminating ground water. I'm applying safe, less effective treatments. Its not as quick, but is working while we find the best solution. That's just me. Most would do what's easiest, cheapest... I've studied toxicology and agriculture and the health "care" systems enough to lead me to question the "authorities" whenever they have something to sell thats "safe and effective".

I'm just suggesting to experiment with other safer options.
    You said that essential oils are measured in minutes not hours. If that's the experience with your recipe, perhaps you should try something else. I've had success for decades for some strange reason and have hiked dense forests and fields. Could I get some disease? Of course. I've also seen lots of people with chronic, as well as single use, chemical exposures end up tragically with dementia and some with torturous deaths. These were all recommended chemicals by the "scientific authorities" too.
    We agree to disagree and hang our own hang so to speak.
    We will continue to use what we think best meets our needs and live with those results.

I wish you the best.

Like I told a guy from the power line clearing company. He told me that the glyphosate(round up) was safe enough to drink. I told him to take all of the shots and beer chasers he wants, but he's NOT spraying it on my property!
    That company lost their long standing contract (over 10 years) after his boss chewed his hide out.

I've seen local planes spray for insects. Of course they said SAFE and effective. This IS admittedly a public use and not anyone here's personal use. Thats your right to use what you want on yourself IMHO. But I'm interested in environmental polutants. The fake media mocks us constantly.

Monsanto: chemical company that affects us all....
    Glyphosate (Round Up weed killer) has been considered by their research to be so safe that it should be sprayed directly on our foods. You can find papers that will doubtless convince those looking for "credible science."
    After all this head lobbyist for Monsanto (now Bayer) advertised it for years as an acceptable beverage with all the scientific clout that they could buy. The FDA approved it for a 10X fold increase in safe use a few years ago AFTER it gained a reputation for causing breast and reproductive cancers.
    See Monsanto's Roundup top guy's latest interview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbfJ4VwHIqw
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-17-2019 at 02:45.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    That's pretty much what the dog owners I warned said before their precious pets died.

I see from your point of view. I manage over 100k worth of forested property that could be cheaply treated with the stuff. However, I've chosen to avoid the potential of contaminating ground water. I'm applying safe, less effective treatments. Its not as quick, but is working while we find the best solution. That's just me. Most would do what's easiest, cheapest... I've studied toxicology and agriculture and the health "care" systems enough to lead me to question the "authorities" whenever they have something to sell thats "safe and effective".

I'm just suggesting to experiment with other safer options.
    You said that essential oils are measured in minutes not hours. If that's the experience with your recipe, perhaps you should try something else. I've had success for decades for some strange reason and have hiked dense forests and fields. Could I get some disease? Of course. I've also seen lots of people with chronic, as well as single use, chemical exposures end up tragically with dementia and some with torturous deaths. These were all recommended chemicals by the "scientific authorities" too.
    We agree to disagree and hang our own hang so to speak.
    We will continue to use what we think best meets our needs and live with those results.

I wish you the best.

Like I told a guy from the power line clearing company. He told me that the glyphosate(round up) was safe enough to drink. I told him to take all of the shots and beer chasers he wants, but he's NOT spraying it on my property!
    That company lost their long standing contract (over 10 years) after his boss chewed his hide out.

I've seen local planes spray for insects. Of course they said SAFE and effective. This IS admittedly a public use and not anyone here's personal use. Thats your right to use what you want on yourself IMHO. But I'm interested in environmental polutants. The fake media mocks us constantly.

Monsanto: chemical company that affects us all....
    Glyphosate (Round Up weed killer) has been considered by their research to be so safe that it should be sprayed directly on our foods. You can find papers that will doubtless convince those looking for "credible science."
    After all this head lobbyist for Monsanto (now Bayer) advertised it for years as an acceptable beverage with all the scientific clout that they could buy. The FDA approved it for a 10X fold increase in safe use a few years ago AFTER it gained a reputation for causing breast and reproductive cancers.
    See Monsanto's Roundup top guy's latest interview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbfJ4VwHIqw
    I'm inclined to agree with Equalizer wrt the toxicity of glyphosate and its long term impact on human health. There is mounting evidence of debilitating health issues suffered by individuals and communities exposed to the herbicide which, to date, is touted as safe for humans by its manufacturer. That of course is not the government's official stance as the lobby for this is essentially indomitable.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    You have to take a risk benefit analysis with all optional chemical treatments and recognize that we often don't know as much as we would like about potential for injury. Just last week I read a study in a major medical journal (JAMA) that noted an association of pyrethroid use with increased heart disease and death rate; permethrin is in the pyrethroid group. However, there are a couple of dozen compounds in this group, and they may be used differently than permethrin treated clothing. The study had some weaknesses, but it's strength was that it documented the risk by measuring the breakdown compounds in people's urine, so it was not purely 'observational'.

I'm not trying to start an argument about abandoning chemical insect repellants, as I still plan to use permethrin for some fabrics (including hammock) and picardin on exposed skin. If you're hiking in the eastern Lyme zone as I do (much of the AT), it still seems reasonable to treat your hammock and select garments with permethrin, but perhaps caution is indicated for tight fitting clothes (I've heard of underwear treatment, for example, which I wouldn't recommend). There's also a whole other area of concern as non-Lyme tick borne illnesses are increasing rapidly (see recent article on the death of a former NC senator, Kay Hagan), and some of these are hard to recognize and difficult to treat.

The treatments for head lice tend to be brief and short term, although sometimes need to be repeated, probably not a good model for use on clothing in hot weather.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    You have to take a risk benefit analysis with all optional chemical treatments and recognize that we often don't know as much as we would like about potential for injury. Just last week I read a study in a major medical journal (JAMA) that noted an association of pyrethroid use with increased heart disease and death rate; permethrin is in the pyrethroid group. However, there are a couple of dozen compounds in this group, and they may be used differently than permethrin treated clothing. The study had some weaknesses, but it's strength was that it documented the risk by measuring the breakdown compounds in people's urine, so it was not purely 'observational'.

I'm not trying to start an argument about abandoning chemical insect repellants, as I still plan to use permethrin for some fabrics (including hammock) and picardin on exposed skin. If you're hiking in the eastern Lyme zone as I do (much of the AT), it still seems reasonable to treat your hammock and select garments with permethrin, but perhaps caution is indicated for tight fitting clothes (I've heard of underwear treatment, for example, which I wouldn't recommend). There's also a whole other area of concern as non-Lyme tick borne illnesses are increasing rapidly (see recent article on the death of a former NC senator, Kay Hagan), and some of these are hard to recognize and difficult to treat.

The treatments for head lice tend to be brief and short term, although sometimes need to be repeated, probably not a good model for use on clothing in hot weather.
    Can't argue with that. I still use permethrin in tick country

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123