Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Yes, with a very thick pad (3"+) pretty much all force goes to the bottom layer, I feel like it will be somewhat distributed between both layers with a 2" pad. The outer layer is actually sufficient for taking all of the force on it's own. And you can put the pad directly under you like Bill said... which will lift you up slightly more. You could also try letting more air out of the Exped to reduce it's thickness.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Yes, with a very thick pad (3"+) pretty much all force goes to the bottom layer, I feel like it will be somewhat distributed between both layers with a 2" pad. The outer layer is actually sufficient for taking all of the force on it's own. And you can put the pad directly under you like Bill said... which will lift you up slightly more. You could also try letting more air out of the Exped to reduce it's thickness.
    Brandon-
    Do you put a differential cut of some sort in the double layers?

The reason I don't build double layers (at least for pad sleeve use) is that it's a 'no win' for me (the vendor). Unless I sold a separate double layer model for each pad thickness- I couldn't ensure each layer was at least partially load bearing. Not saying it couldn't be done- but with no differential at all about a half inch of foam is about all I can justify and still call it a double layer structurally. I'm not sure what the exact tipping point would be as inflation, pad width, and other factors can blur that exact number, but anything past a 1" self inflating pad seems to cross the line in my experience.

I'd also create the opposite problem if I did provide a differential cut double- if I sold a double layer for 1",2" or 3" pad use and the customer chose NOT to use the pad- then all the weight would be on the inner layer and I'm back to the same single layer issue structurally.

Again- for most folks: it's really not a critical issue as the single layer is probably enough for those around 200lbs or less with no hit to durability.
    But since I build 'Big Guy' stuff I tend to run into this question quite a bit for those who are pushing the RR and ask the question (as this thread illustrates).

Not to put you on the spot if you'd prefer to keep it private; but as nice as my posterior is I want to make sure I'm not speaking from it too much on the subject regarding your stuff.
    Most of my Ridgerunner commentary is more based upon general bridge knowledge rather than specific notes, use or experience so it would be easy for me to miss something and I don't want to sell the RR short if I am.
    Last year I picked one up for a demo unit for those folks who want to compare the two side by side, but personally I probably only spent a short time sleeping in it with various pads.

Images
    There is a slight width differential(although i dont recall exactly how much difference), but with hammock stretch and not being concerned about achieving a perfect 50:50 weight distribution between the layers i am able to apply load to both layers when using a 1/2” to 2” pad, with half inch putting a higher percent on the inner and 2” putting more on the outer but with neither being completely loose in either scenario. All that being said nobody has done any damage from using a 3” pad between the layers either.

Hammock
    WBRR dl
    Tarp
    UGQ 12ft
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit; Exped
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Becket h
    I never completely fill my pad. Not for weight distribution concerns - it just feels much more comfortable. So actual thickness is probably 2 inches or less. But I do prefer a pad in the WBRR. It makes it feel more flat, and I am sensitive to knee hyperextension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12