Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    BTW, I just weighed my NeoAir All Season 4.9 long wide: 25.9 oz. So IF their current specs are accurate, the idea that that new X therm could be 6.9R at 3 oz less is, again, impressive. But maybe that newest X therm is a trimmer cut, or a mummy shape? I need to go have a look at it.
    The 20oz weight is for the LW (77x25) according to this, altho it is a mummy shape.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    BTW, I just weighed my NeoAir All Season 4.9 long wide: 25.9 oz. So IF their current specs are accurate, the idea that that new X therm could be 6.9R at 3 oz less is, again, impressive. But maybe that newest X therm is a trimmer cut, or a mummy shape? I need to go have a look at it.
    Neo_26.2oz.jpg

Must be the difference in scales. I am coming in at 26.2 with the bungee wrap which is 4 grams.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Jumping back in-
    24" dogbones seems very short... but it is 80% of 30" and you have the ring plus a little webbing too so it technically checks out for about a 200lb user. As you noted in another thread- the notched pole/ring/webbing interacts fairly uniquely so might as well copy what they did as things have held up fine for you thus far. It is a very deep bridge so the 'tippy' factor is likely balanced by the depth as well.

Marmot was once a premium brand but they long ago sold the name and watered down the gear- so the specs vary year to year and run to run. Point being- who knows what model you got exactly or what the quality control ratio is these days on weight variation from spec. This sorta gear is more like tennis shoes- updated yearly with no rhyme or reason at times. As you note with the Thermarest pads... gets a bit tricky at times with commercial stuff.

Generally speaking- most cottage vendors don't have that issue. And if they do- they will fix it. So regarding the trusted cottage vendors mentioned- don't stress over that issue. +/- a little is reasonable since it is a hand made product, but you won't see such wild differences in specs. Most cottage guys list a +/- variation they consider 'in spec' too.

Back to the Pad- sorry if I confused things thinking you had the other version of the pad. Again- large company and model year changes (without name changes) can mess things up.
    I would strongly suggest you wait until the 2020 models regardless. The valve is updated to work with a pump sack (handy). Looks like the current weights include the Pad, pumpsack, stuff sack and repair kit on their website. REI typically will give you a stripped down weight (pad only) so that is probably why the number is 2-4 ounces different. REI was generally pretty good about giving 'real' weights and not just republishing the manufacturers weight... but as they have grown this can be more error prone. Usually you can find confirmation in reviews, but one reason (besides coupons and discounts) I still like REI is that you can easily return something with no issues. You buy XYZ brand gear from ABC outfitters online and you may have trouble returning a that item if it is wildly off spec.

From what I understand- Thermarest is leading a push to standardize R-value tests. That is the primary reason that the values are changing so much, though I'm not sure who else is joining them.
    Like many cottage vendors here- thermarest tended to be a bit conservative. Many of the others though tend to be optimistic, sometimes laughably so. I still think Thermarest is the gold standard overall.

Bottom line on the pad- save it for later as you've got bigger fish to fry or lower hanging fruit to pick.
    As mentioned before- with the updated values you may be able to skip over to the yellow colored Neo-Air pads if you can ditch the rectangle. That is the bigger win. If you skip back to my earlier post you'll see I mentioned you really aren't getting anywhere serious with the rectangular Xtherm except for R-value. Since it seems that R-value comparison was an error... then that premise is dead.

It is definitely easy to get squirrelly and face decision paralysis in todays market. Even a decade ago your choices were very limited and fairly clear. The good news is lighter gear is easy to come by AND all gear is lighter as what was once high end experimental stuff has filtered into standard gear. The bad news is that the options are plentiful.

Rather than go blind skimming sleeping pad specs or weighing the virtues of gear that will be on sale in the spring... we only looked at a slim portion of your gear.
    After your big three+hammock... you still have a whole kit.
    I would do a full gear list in your excel sheet- everything. Packed, carried, or worn.
    You probably have some other stand out low hanging fruit.

Just one example.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mount...4786958&sr=8-4
    There is a popular, cheap, and fairly light set of trekking poles. Compared to the ones you hadn't even considered weighing up to this point.

People are often horribly shocked to find their diddy bag weighs pounds not ounces. Or the swiss army knife or multi-tool they carry everyday is 8-12 ounces, the 10 year old mag lite still works but weighs double what the current model does. And on and on.

Most of UL backpacking is solved simply by simply considering what is actually going along to the woods with you. Especially for folks who have been doing this awhile. Stuff works, you use it, and just like that pair of underwear older than an average junior high kid you don't put much thought into replacing it. Time flies and you got bigger problems in life than digging into the latest and greatest. The most radical act involved is simply listing your gear and placing it on a scale.

A few things will slap you in the face. A few things you'll look at and realize that you put that stuff in because Dad or your scoutmaster always carried that stuff and you haven't used it in a decade. Some things that are in there 'just in case' that it turned out that when that case actually came up you didn't use that thing anyway as it was buried in the bottom of your pack so you just figured it out. That piece of gear that came in really handy on that one trip to that one place six states away that you don't visit and doesn't have any real use in your local area.

Clothing is shockingly heavy... often overlooked and shoved in. UL folks like to pretend they can wear their camp clothes to supplement a lighter bag... not realizing that adding 10 or even 20* to your quilt rating is far far lighter than even one 'sleep shirt'. If you are not already packing the clothing because you need it or really want it... then you don't save anything adding clothing to sleep in. A lot of the 'rules' you hear about are not very accurate or applicable once you really spend time on them. Stuff newbies hear about from a fellow newbie that older hands have tried and discarded once they didn't pan out in the real world.

Many hear UL and think of buying a $400 DCF tarp to shave a pound and dismiss the idea. Most of the heavy lifting is free. It takes a little thought and some time.
    Some is obvious (your sleeping bag) and some is a bit convoluted and counter-intuitive (Keeping your bridge but tuning it up).

So... keep going. Write it all down, weigh it all. Stare at it and think about it. Put it all in a box and go camping in the yard or at a car camping site. Reach only for the gear you need. If you don't take it out of the box- then don't put it in your pack. Don't be stupid or reckless. And if your back really hurts sitting there then go ahead and pull out that sit pad or chair you like. If you carry your bourbon in an eight ounce metal flask it probably carries just fine in an empty one ounce plastic pop bottle. But if yer dear ol granpappy gave you that flask on his deathbed and it makes you tear up thinking of leaving it behind then dry yer eyes and tuck the flask back in your pack.

At some point you do hit a wall where you are down to carefully debating an individual piece of gear at a handful of ounces for a handful of Twenties... but you aren't there quite yet. Even then- you can always just stop. That last 10% of cuts is tough. The easy way to handle that is let it go. As stuff wears out you upgrade rather than replace. You aren't looking to build a 5lb base load here, so the psycho end of the UL movement doesn't apply. I'd bet you can easily find 2-5lbs for your $1000 budget fairly easily and be happy enough with that if you go head to toe and look hard. Put a season in, evaluate your gear as you go, and think about what you can do next year. Don't bog down.

PS- 20 new, clean nickels weigh 100 grams. If you're concerned about your scale's accuracy that's a handy way to check.

JB - I will definitely try the nickel trick.

On the treking poles, Costco is running a special on (2) sets of carbon fiber poles from Cascade for just $70. https://www.costco.com/cascade-mount...100480782.html

Don't know the weight, but can always purchase and see how much they tip the scale at (for that price).

Have a buddy who started me on this UL quest. I had already had a fairly good pack and adopted some principles along the way. Example: Started with a JetBoil - then to an alcohol stove and now considering ditching the stove all together and going with ready to eat foods & mix w/ water re-hydration techniques.

Thanks for all your help.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    "What does this mean for Therm-a-Rest products?
    The new standard uses a different test protocol and device, which means all of our pads will be receiving new R-value ratings. Our gearÂ’s R-value ratings wonÂ’t change significantly, but there will be certain trends. For example, many of our NeoAir mattresses will receive higher R-values under the new testing standards."

https://www.thermarest.com/blog/rati...alue-standard/

Pasted from the article.

Despite the dates- given the size of Thermarest it's reasonable to assume that what started in 2018 is now hitting the shelves for the end of 2019/2020.

So the R-value's should be taken with a grain of salt overall as realistically they haven't 'changed'.

BillyBob- I know we've discussed this before but; there is a massive difference between using a neo-air style pad in the air and on the ground.
    These pads do a great job for conduction and radiation losses. However they do not do very well with convective loss.
    https://www.greenteg.com/heat-flux-s...heat-transfer/

Convection losses are not relevant to a pad on the ground. I would guess that is why the Neo-Air series in particular is seeing a big boost as they are purely based upon using multiple chambers of air, rather than traditional insulation like synthetic, foam, or down filled chambers. The cynical side of me says that maybe why Thermarest wanted to push for a new standard, but that said; so long as they all go in the same machine via the same test at least we get a standard number to relate to.

Thermarest Neo-Air pads are the gold standard of ground pads, especially for Ultralight pads. They simply work and do what they say they do. I point this out as it was a long winter I invested into trying to make these pads work for me as well in the air as they did on the ground.

-10 on the ground with an X-therm? No problem.
    -10 in the air... I don't see it. Best I ever got was into the upper teens. That was multiple nights not one good one with several weeks of sleeping outdoors in winter conditions, so I should have had an 'acclimation bonus'.
    I don't mean to talk poorly of a fellow forum member and I don't really doubt that it was possible someone had a great night... it happens. And some of us are freaks of nature.

Thousands of long distance backpackers (including me) report taking these pads well below zero on the ground (in part because the ground is not as cold as the ambient air).
    One forum member posted one good night in the air... so until we get more reports I would hold off on going too far with those thoughts.

Realistically though- The X therm is still a good, if not the best pad. The Exped's don't insulate the outer chambers, the Downmat is HEAVY and prone to delamination issues.
    If it craps out around 20*F... it can still be dropped to the ground in a pinch.

The ding, especially in winter, is having to blow them up. The new valve supports a pump sack, which means less moisture pumped into the pad.
    Truth be told- most of us need to wait for a Polar Vortex to roll in for us to really get any sustained temps near zero. Can you get a bad weekend- sure.
    If you are already using a bridge, odds are good you can tolerate sleeping on the ground for that odd cold night.

As you note- weight and pack size are big pluses. Especially if you can make the mummy version work. (I cannot, I need an SPE at the shoulders).
    I look forward to that new 'max' rectangle size; if that solves the SPE issue for me then it's worth it and represents a pretty solid winter 'do it all' option.

With a very solid 20* and up rating in the air, with the option to go well below zero on the ground; that's a pretty versatile piece of gear.
    So there is something to be excited about, just don't get carried away.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I believe they are 16 ounces or less for the for the pair.
    They started as a costco exclusive but are available direct and in a few different 'flavors' that vary slightly in weight.

https://andrewskurka.com/costco-trekking-poles/
    The pair skurka had was 14 ounces.

Images
    Hey Bill,
    I know what you are saying, and for all I know, you are 100% correct, and probably so.I have not tried to take pads below about 18F, and that was stacked CCF pads rated R5.2. Though I must admit I was super toasty and could definitely have gone lower. All I am doing is reporting one man's experience, actually he has done well several times, but only one actually well below zero. But as I said, he might be a human furnace. And of course there is old Ducttape who has done 20 something below with CCF pads and been warm, in a hammock. I on't know if he is a super warm sleeper or not, but I do remember something about he switches from UQs to pads once the weather gets below zero. So that is different from some.

But, I'm no authority. My personal bests, all between +6 and 15F(but sometimes plus windchill and no tarp) have all been set with some sort or UQ or Pea Pod. Unless you count the OCF pad system of an HHSS. And especially I am no authority on the Neoairs. I have only tested my All Season(R4.9) between 25 and 30F, in my 90 degree Hammock Tent. Admittedly I was plenty warm except for a few cold spots under my legs for some reason, possibly my legs were not on the pad firmly enough due to the deep pad pocket, and some cold air was coming in the valleys between the uncompressed baffles. Who knows, not me. But I threw a jacket into the pad pocket on top of the pad and was OK. But my torso seemed quite warm, but I was not out all night so I don't rally know yet. But my feeling is I will be OK at least into the 20s with this 4.9R. I am no authority on pads in hammocks, not yet.

Images
    Also Bill, I meant to say( I was being rushed into some KP duty by my wife getting ready for an early TG dinner tomorrow, some of the family is coming then) that, I am certain you have way more experience with pads in hammocks than I have. Truth be told the great bulk of my experience with a pad in a hammock is in the summer time -early fall in the south. I have used this piece of WM blue foam, cut down to torso size, which mostly serves as my sit pad. Many a time I have gone to sleep in my JRB BMBH(the original from when they were brand new on the market) to wake up cold at maybe 0400-0500. Usually when it was also unseasonably cool for that season in the south.Maybe some wind, next to a lake. But I would just get up to water the tree, slip that short pad into the pad pocket, and go back to a sound sleep until the bright sunshine and camp noise from the non hangers woke me up.

That really makes up the bulk of my pad in a hammock experience, not very much sleeping over night when it is actually cold, just once or twice. But here is one area where I do have a fair amount of experience and I notice an advantage to pads. I quite frequently day hike, in winter(or simply doing back yard testing), on clear days and I usually don't put up a tarp. Or sometime I have a tarp but it is that little HH asym, all I bothered to bring along, and it does a poor job of blocking wind.

So, a lot of time on these hikes, I will hang the hammock in order to enjoy hanging in the woods for a little nap before hiking back. (or again, just back yard). If I have a 20F UQ, and it is say 30 or 40 degrees but windy, when those gusts hit that UQ, I can really feel it. If I have enough temp reserve, I probably won't actually be cold, but I can sure tell a big difference when that wind hits. And I bet I am not the only one here who has had that experience.

Now of course, that is what big enough tarps are for, or UQPs(or HHSSs), and/or sheltered spots. But sometimes that wind shifts on you and manages to get under that tarp any way, and that big tarp weighs and costs more and takes up more room. Or, when closing up a really big tarp all closed up, personally that is when I have had some wild condensation challenges.

However, I have noticed more than once that if I am using a pad, especially that thick NeoAir pad, even with no tarp I do not even notice the strongest gusts of wind. I have experienced these conditions many times with both UQs and pads. And if I am not using some kind of UQP(my personal pref) or a big tarp, the pad seems to me to be quite superior under those conditions. Which might not only mean I won't need an UQP, but maybe even can get by quite well with a smaller tarp.

So the teens is your best with an X-therm? Were you still warm? As I said, my best is about 25F with an All Season, but I maybe could have one lower. Maybe I will get to test that this year.

My main interest in pads is for some of the places I like to hike where there are not going to be any trees on some nights. And I might want to sleep there, above timberline. But then I worry about a leak in the air pads and being unable to keep it patched, or a blown baffle. That would rally suck about 30-40 miles from my trail head or car. That leaves CCF pads, but they are not near as comfy on the ground and are so bulky. In the past, I have just taken a short blow up pad and an UQ, Pea Pod and or UQ, and then if a leak developed that I could not patch, just go down low enough until I found some trees. So the pad was just for back up or when I just wanted to, or was forced to, sleep above timberline. Like on this bummer of a night:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-26-2019 at 20:56.

Images
    I only read your original post, but if you truly want to get your weight as low as possible you dont really have a choice but youll have to learn to get comfortable in a gathered end. I was in the same boat, loved my bmbh. Took a good handful nights to start getting used to the g.end but now i like it fine.
    Lightest setup i found is Dutchs netless in hexon 1.0 (7oz) or his side zip in the summer (12oz).
    UCRs or the new fancy dyneema straps tied to hammock, either setup is 2oz.
    Cuben tarp, I went with the HG palace but i like coverage.
    Get 950fill quilts.
    Change stuff to what you can afford/prefer, but thats how you do it.
    My whole sleep system tarp pillow stakes everything is just under 4lbs and thats with the big tarp.
    If you really want, jrbs new hammock is only 7oz without the poles....
    Last edited by fallkniven; 11-26-2019 at 20:27.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone for the help. Mrs. Claus just pulled the trigger on a new HG Econ 20 TQ and a HG Dyneema tarp with doors (not the palace). With Black Friday deals, Rudolf got them loaded into the sleigh for less than $500 with shipping and tax. Thank you Mrs Clause. Time for the elves to shout with glee.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. Mrs. Claus just pulled the trigger on a new HG Econ 20 TQ and a HG Dyneema tarp with doors (not the palace). With Black Friday deals, Rudolf got them loaded into the sleigh for less than $500 with shipping and tax. Thank you Mrs Clause. Time for the elves to shout with glee.
    Don't forget your head insulation- biggest mistake new quilt users make. It seems silly but even on cool nights it can make a massive difference in the experience. Otherwise- happy to hear you made some big leaps at a good price. Good timing on that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast